Changing Coolant and the Right Number of Tablets
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Changing Coolant and the Right Number of Tablets in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK - Im new to Cadillacs and new to the Forum. I did the searches on coolant changes and read ...
    wilsonmi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Changing Coolant and the Right Number of Tablets

OK - Im new to Cadillacs and new to the Forum. I did the searches on coolant changes and read as many as I could until my eyes got blurred.

I've got a 99 STS with 68K on it. The water pump is starting to seep which I've heard is fairly common. So I'm going to replace it in the next couple of weeks. While I'm at it, I'll replace the coolant. In several of the threads I've read, I saw people talk about using powder and some say tablets instead. Some of the threads say 6 tablets - the sticker under my hood says 3. What's the right number?

By the way, before anyone asks I'm going to use a new pump - not rebuilt. My brother got what I thought was a good price - $75.00 for the pump and the special socket. The dealer wanted $570.00 to replace it.

P.S. I bought it used with 64K on it and I love the car.

Thanks for any advice
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Re: Changing Coolant and the Right Number of Tablets

Put in two tubes of Bars Leak Golden Seal (.75 oz each) or the equivalent in the tablet form. If using the tablets, crumble a bit to help it break down. They are the same ingredient, ginger root.

Be sure to only place it in one of the radiator hoses. Usually pull the lower hose loose from the water pump and add at that point.

DO NOT PUT IN THE SURGE TANK, it will not circulate properly.

-George

wilsonmi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Mike

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

And be sure to replace any lost coolant with a 50/50 pre-mix of distilled water/Dex-Cool.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

The manual will say 3 of the GM coolant supplement pellets for the Northstar. The 4.x engines were recommended for 6 of them due to the greater chance of an internal leak of coolant directly into the oil. I always recommend 6 of the GM coolant supplement pellets/2 tubes of the BarsLeaks golden seal powder for either engine. It just provides extra protection against leakage and wont hurt a thing.

It's a good time to drain and refill the system with fresh 50/50 DexCool/distilled water as the 5year/100K life of the DexCool from the OEM fill is near. The water pump will be the easiest you've ever changed. It's hard to believe the dealers can somehow justify charging $570.00 to change one. That's about $450.00 profit I'd say. With the special tool it's a snap. Remember that the water pump cartridge is removed by turning it clockwise as viewed from over the left front fender looking into the water pump cavity from the backside after removing the cover. It is installed by turning the special tool counterclockwise - a "left handed thread" install. When the old pump is out remember the o-ring seal that is in a groove in the water crossover casting. Look inside the housing when the water pump is out and you will see it. Put a new o-ring in the groove (should be in the kit with the pump) and make sure it is seated and lubed with antifreeze when installing the new pump.

Check the water pump drive belt and tensioner. The tensioner may need to be exercised and the pivot lubed to keep it moving freely.

lowscola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS

I was getting the Check Coolant Message and figured I might as well drain and fill instead of just topping off. Prestone makes the Dexcool compatable extended life coolant so that wasn't a problem. But two parts stores I went to didn't have the recommended supplement:

a pic for future reference since this seems to be a hot topic

so I purchased two bottles of the R6 liquid, mixed one bottle with my 50/50 water & coolant mix and then filled up.

the R6 and the supplement seem to do the same thing or am I badly mistaken.
    Holding off on adding the second bottle.

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thanks for the thousand word pictures!!

jgr7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What color was the R6, I don't think it is the same as the G12BP or HDC, that are made from ginger root and ground up shells. Some of that stuff has some kind of Aluminum powder in it that could be trouble.

Jeff

RLLOVETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Pretty sure it's all the same dang stuff...hope I'm right since I used the bottles until I could find the pellets!

lowscola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS

Quote Originally Posted by jgr7
    What color was the R6, I don't think it is the same as the G12BP or HDC, that are made from ginger root and ground up shells. Some of that stuff has some kind of Aluminum powder in it that could be trouble.

Jeff
    Dark brown.

Quote Originally Posted by RLLOVETT
    Thanks for the thousand word pictures!!
    Don't hurt you brain trying to read through all of those words...

sportyal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 catera sport

what is the procedure to change and flush the coolant in a 2000 catera

GreenMachine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

careful which prestone you use, theres one with the GM Approved logo on it (thats the one you want should say dex-cool on it also) then there is one that just says Compatable with all coolants, don't use that one, it can be used but better to stick with the GM certified one.

My dealer replaced the waterpump and out the door for just under 375. Half is labor, don't mind that to much, those mechanics need to eat..even if sometimes it's steak Plus since its really my dads car he payed
    Invoice:
    Click for Picture of Invoice

I've also been told to stay away from the bars-leak, been told it could cause the heator core to get clogged. Unless thats a differant kind than what your talking about.

Rob S is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I just did my 99 STS waterpump and coolant change. I used a new waterpump, all 6 tablets (bought from Dealership in a 6pk), and Prestone Dexcool. I left the tablest whole and inserted them in the lower hose. Worked fine, no leaks, or anything. Good luck.

boxhalr188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am going to drain and add new coolant. I am not familar with the tablets, what are they and what purpose do they serve? The car is a '98 Eldorado ETC. Thanks for any info.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

They are a cooling system supplement (sealant). The purpose is to prevent nuisance leak & seepage. They can be purchased at any GM dealer or Walmart, or most parts stores. If you get them from other than a dealer look for Barsleaks products. The tabs product code is HDC and the powdered version is G12BP. Put them in the radiator hose, NOT the surge tank. Do a search for Barsleaks, tabs, cooling system supplement, HDC, G12BP. You should find enough reading to keep you out of trouble for days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.