Changing the cams on an STS to the SLS Cams
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Changing the cams on an STS to the SLS Cams in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What do I need to do ? Can I just swap the cams and my computer will still work fine ...
    dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Changing the cams on an STS to the SLS Cams

What do I need to do ? Can I just swap the cams and my computer will still work fine ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Changing the cams on an STS to the SLS Cams

Quote Originally Posted by dwight.j.carter View Post
    What do I need to do ? Can I just swap the cams and my computer will still work fine ?
    Yes the PCM will work

I can tell you that one tool work the best to do this.
    I am headed out to look for a new TV, so I will get back to you on the tool.

dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

I'm not in any hurry to do it. How much do the cams run and does the engine need to come out to change them ?

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

cheaper to buy complete heads off ebay and just use the cams from them imho
    and AJ i thought the different Cam profile would cause many of the pretty little dash lights and messages to appear...
    could be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    cheaper to buy complete heads off ebay and just use the cams from them imho
    and AJ i thought the different Cam profile would cause many of the pretty little dash lights and messages to appear...
    could be wrong though
    No
    You and the dash lights.
    Why is it that you have had dash lights come on?
    I can throw a 2005 Northstar engine/powertrain assembly in a 99 Seville and I will get NO lights.
    Why would I?

Trust me the VIN in different modules will not be an issue.

Ur7x is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    No
    You and the dash lights.
    I can throw a 2005 Northstar engine/powertrain assembly in a 99 Seville and I will get NO lights.
    Why would I?

Trust me the VIN in different modules will not be an issue.
    Wow, is that right? I though the 93-99 Northstars could not be swapped for a 2000-newer... Even some some of the 98-99 ones have unique cooling systems with odd ball water cooled alternators.

If this is the case this is wonderful news, the 2004 and newer FWD North*s seem to be the best of all. These can be had at yards for way less then the cost of a dealer installed timesert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ur7x View Post
    Wow, is that right? I though the 93-99 Northstars could not be swapped for a 2000-newer... Even some some of the 98-99 ones have unique cooling systems with odd ball water cooled alternators.

If this is the case this is wonderful news, the 2004 and newer FWD North*s seem to be the best of all. These can be had at yards for way less then the cost of a dealer installed timesert.
    98 to 00 have liquid cooled alternators on VIN 9 engines.

I am going to do a Tech Tip on 00 to 03 cam swapping.

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

No
    You and the dash lights.
    Why would I?
    I'm not so sure that would be the case. GM programs enough changes in their PCM's year to year, that a 7 M/Y difference will probably cause some conflicts. Hell between '97 and 2002 GM had 3 different iterations of PCM programming on LS1 cars, partially a factor of using differing cam grinds and minor head casting differences over the years, and adjusting the Torque Management on the automatic cars. I would be very surprised if a '99 PCM would even work in a '00-'03 N*, as I'm sure they pulled out timing to make the switch from 91 to 87 with the associated drop in compression, and I bet if you put them on a cam doctor, the cam profiles would differ from pre and post '00. Think they made a few more changes on the 320 N*'s in RWD versions later on.

Also if the odo mileage is stored in the PCM, and if it does not match the mileage stored in the instrument panel, it will cause a program conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I'm not so sure that would be the case. GM programs enough changes in their PCM's year to year, that a 7 M/Y difference will probably cause some conflicts. Hell between '97 and 2002 GM had 3 different iterations of PCM programming on LS1 cars, partially a factor of using differing cam grinds and minor head casting differences over the years, and adjusting the Torque Management on the automatic cars. I would be very surprised if a '99 PCM would even work in a '00-'03 N*, as I'm sure they pulled out timing to make the switch from 91 to 87 with the associated drop in compression, and I bet if you put them on a cam doctor, the cam profiles would differ from pre and post '00. Think they made a few more changes on the 320 N*'s in RWD versions later on.

Also if the odo mileage is stored in the PCM, and if it does not match the mileage stored in the instrument panel, it will cause a program conflict.

I would use the PCM that matches the engine.
    The odometer is updated from the IPC upon installation.

This is the 1st cal ID #12585501 for 2003
    So far this is the last #12585554 for 2003 that I have collected.
    Oh wait that would be 53 different first run Cal ID's for two car models only. The Eldo was gone.
    Think about that. 50+ different Calibrations for the same size engine and transmission all in 1 year. That would be 2 engine configuration (VIN Y & 9) and two gearing options (3.11 & 3.71). They don't even mix that up between the two and they still have over 50 Cal ID's for just the Seville's and Deville's in 2003.

A 05 Deville engine will bolt into a 00 FWD Cadillac with no modes and the 00 stock PCM. It may need to have me give it a performance tune to the program to correct a rough idle.

With that said I can install an 00 Deville's complete powertrain assembly including the wire harness and PCM into a 98 Seville. I would need to relocate a few wires in different terminals of connectors. You would not need to string new wires they are already in the connectors. Example: connector C101 terminal A5 may need to go to terminal D14.
    The complete powertrain assembly not just the engine.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

SmoothTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

98 to 00 have liquid cooled alternators on VIN 9 engines.

I am going to do a Tech Tip on 00 to 03 cam swapping.
    Any updates?

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

I would use the PCM that matches the engine.
    The odometer is updated from the IPC upon installation.
    Is this true for all cadillacs after a certain year? I've got a 2002 Deville Analog Dash cluster that i want to swap into my 2000 Deville with the digital dash cluster, and don't really want to pay someplace 300 bucks to make the new ODO match the old one. I've been delaying the swap because I wasn't sure if the car would update the readings from one of the onboard control modules, or if it was kept in the cluster itself. I don't want to end up with a car that has lower mileage on the odometer than the title and annual inspections report.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    Is this true for all cadillacs after a certain year? I've got a 2002 Deville Analog Dash cluster that i want to swap into my 2000 Deville with the digital dash cluster, and don't really want to pay someplace 300 bucks to make the new ODO match the old one. I've been delaying the swap because I wasn't sure if the car would update the readings from one of the onboard control modules, or if it was kept in the cluster itself. I don't want to end up with a car that has lower mileage on the odometer than the title and annual inspections report.
    The Cluster/IPC stores the mileage.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

So the cluster and the IPC are the same thing? In other words the IPC is in the part containing the speedometer, tach DIC etc?

MisterBlue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by dwight.j.carter View Post
    I don't know why you'd want to do that. Do you plan to change the gears as well? The few pounds of extra torque might give a little help at low speeds, but you'd be losing HP and speed on the top end, IMHO. Of course, if your plan is to run on a short (1/8 th mile) drag strip, it might be a good move. I can't see it helping much in the 1/4 mile, though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.