Thermagasket Does It Work???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Thermagasket Does It Work??? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Please let me know of your experience with THERMAGASKET or any other sealants. Thanks...
    99 eldog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thermagasket Does It Work???

Please let me know of your experience with THERMAGASKET or any other sealants. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Thermagasket Does It Work???

If you're trying to remedy what you think is a blown head gasket, according to my engine building experience and 2 years of similar posts in here, you're SOL.

The GM recommended Bar's tablets or #12 powder are for assembly nuisance drips and block porosity sealing. Not gasket repair.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Mechanic in a bottle will not fix a bad head gasket. Do a search and read Rfishings lengthy post.

99 eldog is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by 99 eldog View Post
    Hey I Tried Themagasket Today And It Seems To Be Working. No Leaking Coolant No Hi Temps Check Engine Light Went Off. The Stuff Looks Like It Works For Now
    How much do you want to bet that it'll last?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

I really hate to say this, but don't get your hopes too high. It's only temporary.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

All statements are true so now since you have some time on your hands(no car to fix) it will help you to do as Ranger instructed on reading Rfishings lengthy post. It might help you incase of future issues.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

itll work for maybe a weak
    snake oil only clogs a lifted head for so long before it does more damage to the rest of the cooling system then you bargained for...

MindyMaucelli is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It WORKS like a charm!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 99 eldog View Post
    Please let me know of your experience with THERMAGASKET or any other sealants. Thanks

MindyMaucelli is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I used it on September 23, 2010 and have driven thousands of miles already and not one time has it overheated on me. I was also skeptical, and so was my mechanic.. He actually LAUGHED at me.. Well, guess what... He just used it on a customers truck and was completely impressed. Especially after he and his employee's all laughed because I was going to use it. AWESOME PRODUCT!

And even if it only is a temporary fix, it sure has lasted quite a while, and if it happens again.. I will use the other half that I got.. BUY IT!

Email me if you have any questions. I am located in Kansas City..
    My email is my username at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I really hate to say this, but don't get your hopes too high. It's only temporary.

Give it some time. You've only used it for a month and a half. That stuff cannot fix pulled threads. Glad it is buying you some time, but it IS temporary. Please keep us updated even if/when it fails. It will be interesting to know how long it lasts.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

This always seems to happen w/ thermagasket... they come back immediately (or in a month or two) and say 'it worked!' then don't ever come back to say 'it's still working 9 months later!' (because they either sold the car or got it fixed and are ashamed to report back that we were right)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

You know, I'm just gonna add to this phenomenon as well.

I don't believe in this crap any more than most of you. I mean, how can some liquid in a bottle fill a leak and retain 200psi compression? Not very logical.

Anyway, earlier this summer (July) my girlfriends brother's 160k mile 1998 Ford F150 4.6 was diagnosed with a bad headgasket. Typical frequent unexplained coolant loss, running warm. The mechanic gave him his options, including physically repairing the headgasket or trying Thermaseal, which the mechanic told him may or may not buy him time but customers have had success in the past.

Since he really doesn't care about the truck and doesn't find it to be worth shelling out the money for the HG replacement (she's getting rusty/OHC engine so labor is higher), he gave the Thermaseal a shot.

Lo and behold, similar to the claims in this thread, it worked. It's his DD transportation to work and hunting vehicle on the weekends. It's still chugging along just fine. When (not if) it fails again, he'll deal with it then. But for now, he's pretty happy with what he got out of it.

:shrug: I can't explain it. It still really doesn't make sense to me but you can't argue results. The stuff actually does well for what it is.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

it does 'work' for other cars but for N*s with head bolts pulling there is no amount of magic potion that will fix the problem
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I don't believe in this crap any more than most of you. I mean, how can some liquid in a bottle fill a leak and retain 200psi compression? Not very logical.
    Here is the theory behind it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

Why pay Thermosgasket $300 for it?
    http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sod...P6375C670.aspx

OR you can buy it at the pharmacy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.