Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Anthony Cipriano 
#1 ·
Went to oil place to get oil changed yesterday, and decided to have the coolant flushed and to do it every year. The tech was surprised to see it was the green stuff. He said when they flushed the dexron red stuff out they should have used some of this special cleaner because their is still some red residue mixed in with the green stuff now. Should i spend 40 dollars on this special cleaning stuff they sell and then 59 on the flush itself? Is it harmful to not do it? Temp gauge reads fine now as it is. Can I stick with the green plus the pellets. thanks, I know some of this has been discussed before but can't find the bit about the preflush clean when switching from red to green.

#4 ·
Sorry I can’t help you with that one. I don’t think it has a special name. I know that some company was making red coolant for a while claiming it was good for 5 years without flushing the system but I don’t remember it having a special name, just a bigger price tag.

#7 ·
Right, dexcool is the name. I have no problem paying the 100 dollars for the good stuff, but do I need to spend the 40 dollars on the two cans of special cleaner the guy is trying to sell me? It is some two step process since the green has been introduced into the car. Anyone switched from the green to the red with no other steps? thanks, want to do it right.

#9 ·
dugansz said:
Right, dexcool is the name. I have no problem paying the 100 dollars for the good stuff, but do I need to spend the 40 dollars on the two cans of special cleaner the guy is trying to sell me? It is some two step process since the green has been introduced into the car. Anyone switched from the green to the red with no other steps? thanks, want to do it right.

Forget any sort of flush. Period. Drain the system and stick with the green, silicated coolant for a refresh. After your system has been contaminated with the green silicated coolant it really doesn't make any sense to try and recover and go back to DexCool. Either the DexCool or the conventional green coolant will provide the same level of corrosion protection and cooling capability. DexCool just lasts longer for corrosion protection - but that advantage has been neutered by running the system on the green silicated coolant. So either one will need to be changed at 2-3 years/24-32K miles. Just stick with the green stuff.

There is no cleaner or flush that I know of that will remove the silicates from the system once they have plated onto the internal parts from the green coolant. Save the wear and tear on the system and the money for a "flush" of any sort and just drain and refresh with the conventional green coolant. And use the coolant supplement pellets installed into the radiator hose - not the surge tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.