Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HELP!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HELP!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was just driving home after my stereo install and car was fine before and after till I was almost ...
    RENO99DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood Brougham, 94 Eldorado, sold the Devilles.

Question Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HELP!!

I was just driving home after my stereo install and car was fine before and after till I was almost home and idle was like 2200rpm in park and I could not make it drop. It seemed like the more I pressed the gas the higher the idle was sticking. What do I need to check?? I'm clueless here. Just got it running after changing the alt and batt and now this, someone PLZ HELP ME

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HE

Clean the TB and your problem will be solved. Check the Tech Tips section. I think there is a tutorial in there.

Re: Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HE

TB is throttle body? Will I find a how to step by step guide? That will solve my prob? How do I clean it? (newbe here)
    Oh BTW I have a 99 deville if it helps any.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes, TB = Throttle Body.
    I guarantee that will solve your problem.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ttle-body.html

Thumbs up Re: Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HE

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yes, TB = Throttle Body.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I WILL BE DOING THIS TOMORROW MORNING AS SOON AS LIGHT HITS THE GROUND

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Also look for vacuum leaks. It's easy to knock the PCV off of its grommet sometimes, especially while changing spark wires. Doing stereo wiring you can get into those areas too, depending on where you run stuff. The battery is on that side, after all, and most aftermarket audio guys seem to love to connect to the battery, instead of installing an auxiliary connection and fuse block.

The throttle sticking open far enough to run 2000+ RPM is really odd unless it had been sticking before and you just ignored it. You might like to check the throttle cable position too, just make sure something isn't caught a bit.

Question Re: Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HE

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750 View Post
    Also look for vacuum leaks. It's easy to knock the PCV off of its grommet sometimes, especially while changing spark wires. Doing stereo wiring you can get into those areas too, depending on where you run stuff. The battery is on that side, after all, and most aftermarket audio guys seem to love to connect to the battery, instead of installing an auxiliary connection and fuse block.

The throttle sticking open far enough to run 2000+ RPM is really odd unless it had been sticking before and you just ignored it. You might like to check the throttle cable position too, just make sure something isn't caught a bit.
    Well it seemed like it was sticking when I first would leave from a start to stop and I would have to tap it or if I just pressed it the thing would just take off from getting unstuck. Was that a sign? ???????????

As far as the stereo they installed 1 power cable (8guage) but did not run it through the firewall, instead they ran it through the side door jam and they did a good job because I cant see the power wire. I had it done like that so its easy to remove everything without leaving holes. So I don't think they were near any thing other then the side door and stuff.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

seriously
    butterfly man
    clean her

Wow was that thing dirty! I thought to go one extra step and buy the MAF spray cleaner to also clean that, I mean why just clean the tb.. lets clean it all!! right???
    I might just get my detail brush out and clean the dust out of all my vents after LOL

Exclamation Re: Sticking gas pedal????, high idle all of the sudden???? What do I check??? PLZ HE

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yes, TB = Throttle Body.
    Well I cleaned it, with a toothbrush and rag to, everything.. even bought the MAF spray cleaner and guess what???

THE IDLE IS STILL HIGH. It's like between 1900 to 2250 rpm. Now what do I do/check?? If I need to check something else can someone please give me details and/or a link/picture/diagram to fix/solve this problem

WOW I did a search into more about "high idle" and found some interesting things and one I copied and pasted below for anyone who was having this problem. I tried it and guess what.. It worked, well so far just sitting in my driveway. I am going to take it for a spin to put some gas and I will let you all know how it went!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Need 4 V-Speed
    I cleaned out the throttle body

There's your problem.

Double and triple check your intake tract for leaks. You had to disconnect everything to get at the TB, so I suspect you may have a small air leak. If that doesn't work, try a throttle relearn:

(from the FAQ- Thanks Reed! )

# Turn car off, wait a few seconds.
    # Hold throttle to the floor and keep it there while trying to start the car. It won't start (try only once).
    # Turn off ignition.
    # Wait about 15 seconds.
    # Start car.

If you used anything abrasive on the throttle body it can also cause extra airflow at idle by opening up the area around the throttle plate, but I doubt you did that.
    (352) 408-0391
    www.cadillactony.com
    Plaza Cadillac Discussion Forum

And I'm back. IT WORKED!! THESE FORUMS ARE GREAT. WHAT HELP!!!! WOW I WANT TO DONATE! SEND ME A PAYPAL ADDRESS AND WHEN I GET MY NEXT CHECK (NEXT MONTH) I WILL DONATE SOME FUNDS!!!

BostonETC97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Watch out for a bad throttle cable! I had the same symptoms, and it turned out the metal cable rubbed through the sheathing in an area I couldn't see it near the firewall, causing the cable to bind up heavily.

The replacement cable cost less than $20 from the dealer, and made a HUGE difference in throttle response and pedal feel. The pedal became so silky I had to re-learn how to drive the car without doing a burnout everytime the light turned green! I also re-gained true WOT, which I must have been slowly loosing with the streched out cable. Made a world of difference in the performance department!

If you find the pedal "hard", idle high, or lack of full-throttle or downshift again, try a new cable!

SmoothTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had a similar fast idle problem. When I looked under the hood I noticed an electrical connection was loose at the throttle body. I plugged it back in and my idle went back to normal. Not exactly sure what that thing is, perhaps a throttle position sensor for the idle control motor?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.