motor swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, motor swap in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; aite i give up the HT4100 is gunna come out in the near future. im thinking 500cdi.. that should be ...
    patrick420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

motor swap

aite i give up the HT4100 is gunna come out in the near future. im thinking 500cdi.. that should be enuff nut heh heh.. what do i need to do to the tranny? is it gunna bolt raight up? and are there any common problems with doing this like the fan hits the shroud or something like that? anyone do this? its an 83 sedan deville also.. any help would be cool...thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

If you like the 83' and plan on keeping the car then i would find another 4100 out of an 87' model deville that still runs good and make sure you hear it run before you buy it. I have a 87' i have owned for 4 years, it runs very well and has been well maintained. If you can find one that has been taken care of that would be your best bet.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    If you intend to install a 500 motor, the LEAST of your problems will be the fan shroud. I would suggest that you talk to someone who has done a motor swap like that so they can give you the low-down. And don't worry about the trans, it's not going to work, I would suppose a TH400 would be the trans of choice in your case.
    And BTW, SoundAdvantage,
    His car is a RWD car and the two HT4100's aren't interchangable. The RWD HT4100 is unique, only the FWD engines can be swapped from year to year. Matter of fact, you might want to exchange yours for a 4.9 from a newer car.

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
    www.hwforums.com/2089/
    Try this site. Some of the guys have done this swap before.

Also this site is from a guy who did this swap in a 81 Fleetwood limo www.mindspring.com/~dburden/engine_swap.html

Kevin,
    My 4.1 runs fine i really don't need a newer engine but thanx for the suggestion, i was ready to by a 95' STS but my mechanic talked me out of it, i really like my 87' and besides, it's paid for.

Mike

Originally posted by SoundAdvantage
    Kevin,
    My 4.1 runs fine i really don't need a newer engine but thanx for the suggestion, i was ready to by a 95' STS but my mechanic talked me out of it, i really like my 87' and besides, it's paid for.

Mike
    Mike,
    That's cool, I wasn't sure if you were aware that your engine was pretty much a direct swap with the newer 4.5 and 4.9
    Just thought I'd pass it on.

Talking 4.5/4.9

Thanx for the info Kevin, it's nice to know i can upgrade to a bigger engine later. My 4100 has 144K original miles on it, i just had to replace the water pump last week, i got lucky though i pulled it out of the garage to wash it and after i was done i started it up and the pump started dropping antifreeze all over my driveway. I am thankfull i wasn't out on the road when it happened. I bought a brand new pump for it and the engine is really running well.
    Question for ya Kevin aside from the fuel injection on the 4.9s what else is different from the 4100s ? did they use the same block? How many years did Cadillac make the 4.9 engines?

Mike

The 4.9 was used from '90 to '95, and there's very few parts that are the same between the 4.1 and it's later (and better) itterations. Sorry. It's not that the block is the same and that's why they are such an easy R&R. It's that the mount-points are the same so it eases installation. At least that's what I'm told. I've never actually done the swap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.