97 STS vs. The drag strip
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 STS vs. The drag strip in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, took the STS out to the track and I was not thrilled with the results, nor was I crushed. ...
    stngh8r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 1991 Chevy RC w/500 CAD

Post 97 STS vs. The drag strip

Well, took the STS out to the track and I was not thrilled with the results, nor was I crushed. Track conditions were nice and cool at ~50*, but a little on the moist side. All runs where made with Traction control ON and with a progressive throttle off the line. Looking back, I think I could have went 100% throttle much faster, but I guess I will just have to see next time.

Run 1: 2.3 60ft./15.5 @ 88MPH
    Baseline. A cool down period between driving in and racing, but thats it.

Run 2: 2.2 60ft./15.3 @ 89MPH
    Removed air filter. Trans seemed to be a little lazy, especially the last shift.

Run 3: 2.3 60ft./15.2 @ 90MPH
    Removed air filter. Poorer 60ft. Ran in Drive for whatever reason. Tranny was happier and shifted more promptly. Must have gotten a little cooler in between runs?

I was wondering though, why the Monte Carlo SS that was present was running low 14s @ 99? The Monte and Impala SS are rated 303 and the STS N* is rated at 300? I know the Caddy may be a bit heavier, but its not that much heavier is it!? I assume that the Caddy transmission has softer and longer shifting traits too, which is not helping the situation in terms of 1/4 mile times.

So I go to Dragtimes.com and check out the seville's listed on there and what do you know, everybody is running higher MPH than me? What gives? I did a fresh synthetic oil change right before the track, made sure I had a good healthy dose of 93 and everything seemed to be running properly? I noticed a comment on Dragtimes.com from one of the owners, noting that he ran with the Traction control off and simply floored it off the line, will the Traction control being off help? I know on the C5 vettes, if traction control is activated, it pulls timing, so I assume that could have been happening to me since I left it on?? Has anyone compared times with Traction on/off?

Thank you for your time and sorry it was so long

Eric <><

www.dragtimes.com

Fast Cadillac Seville 1/4 mile Drag Racing Timeslips</SPAN>

Click on the 1/4 mile ET to display the DragTime in detail.
    * = Picture Available
    + = Video Available
    ^ = Dyno Sheet Available
    # = Stock Vehicle
    Click HERE to add your Cadillac Seville to the database.
    .1/4 Mile
    ET
    1/4 Mile
    MPH
    1/8 Mile
    ET
    1/8 Mile
    MPH
    0-60 Foot
    ET
    CarYearDriver1)14.515*95.600 9.387 77.010 2.221 Cadillac Seville STS1996 Agustin J. Cruz 2)14.80096.700 Cadillac Seville STS1995 Paul Huening 3)14.80892.000 Cadillac Seville STS1994 Matt Ruedisueli 4)14.88894.510 9.730 75.760 2.385 Cadillac Seville STS2000 STS 5)14.89096.300 Cadillac Seville 1998 Ed 6)15.10093.200 Cadillac Seville STS1998 7)15.110#94.000 Cadillac Seville STS1995 Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 97 STS vs. The drag strip

As a non-participating bystander, I'll be waiting for our resident tuners to post their slip times.

You're one of the very, very few that have the balls to put your STS work in black and white.

This could prove interesting as our post whores chime in.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by stngh8r View Post
    I was wondering though, why the Monte Carlo SS that was present was running low 14s @ 99? The Monte and Impala SS are rated 303 and the STS N* is rated at 300?
    The reason the Monte's and Impalas are so quicker is because the LS4 in those cars makes so much low end torque, which means those cars are a lot quicker out of the hole, and in the lower speeds. They'll do 0-60 in the mid to high five second range, whereas the STS will do it in the mid-high six second range.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

that and for a 97 STS a 15.5 1/4 is just plain SLOW that car is capable of high 14s in stock trim, my ETC stock ran 14.7 and now modified runs a 14.2 best....

heck the 98+ Sevilles which packed on an additional 500 pound are faster than a 15.5...

as for a New MC SS, they are quite capable of eating you up and spiting you out, my ETC cant win off the line but by the end of the 1/4 im usually past them, a stock FWD wouldnt win.

Zorb750 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

ETC/STS will win 60-100 (or to 120 or 130 or whatever) any day of the week.

MM STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 STS Crimson Pearl/Blk, 18" STS wheels,Strut Tower Brace

Quote Originally Posted by Zorb750 View Post
    ETC/STS will win 60-100 (or to 120 or 130 or whatever) any day of the week.
    The whole reason I bought the car. They are a sweet highway cruiser. They stay stuck to the road at those speeds too. Mike

stngh8r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 1991 Chevy RC w/500 CAD

Thumbs down Re: 97 STS vs. The drag strip

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    that and for a 97 STS a 15.5 1/4 is just plain SLOW that car is capable of high 14s in stock trim, my ETC stock ran 14.7 and now modified runs a 14.2 best....

heck the 98+ Sevilles which packed on an additional 500 pound are faster than a 15.5...

as for a New MC SS, they are quite capable of eating you up and spiting you out, my ETC cant win off the line but by the end of the 1/4 im usually past them, a stock FWD wouldnt win.

Thank you mister 10k post smarty pants. Now before you start calling names and pointing out that my equipment is far too "SLOW" for what it is, I would like you to take a look at my post. Lets see, have I in any shape or form given the impression that I think my car is on par with others of similar make/model? Have I in any shape or form made mention of how blistering fast this car is? NO, I have pointed out that my car seems to be below par. I have come here to post up the facts and ask why? I have come here humbly to ask some questions. AND FOR WHAT? SO you can start pointing your high and mighty finger at my equipment and not answer a blasted thing.

GROW UP AND GET SOME MANNERS.

Eric

AMGoff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '03 Seville STS, '89 Eldorado, '89 Grand Wagoneer

Thank you mister 10k post smarty pants. Now before you start calling names and pointing out that my equipment is far too "SLOW" for what it is, I would like you to take a look at my post. Lets see, have I in any shape or form given the impression that I think my car is on par with others of similar make/model? Have I in any shape or form made mention of how blistering fast this car is? NO, I have pointed out that my car seems to be below par. I have come here to post up the facts and ask why? I have come here humbly to ask some questions. AND FOR WHAT? SO you can start pointing your high and mighty finger at my equipment and not answer a blasted thing.

Eric
    First of all... pay STS03 no mind whatsoever, because somehow he's come to know everything there is in a mere 21 years and whatever he doesn't know isn't really worth knowing in the first place. In his defense, he can be genuinely helpful at times as he does know some things fairly well... however, he has less tact than Marge Schott. While intelligence may have nothing to do with age - modesty sure does.

Anyway... back to your original post... I'll have somewhat disagree with Chad on this one... both engines develop their peak torque at 4400rpms and their peak hp are both as close as makes no difference - 6000rpm.

It really comes down to two things - age and the car's power-to-weight ratios. First, that Monte is pretty much brand new while your Seville is over 10 years old now - that makes a difference... While it might not be much, I'd be willing to bet that a few of your 300 ponies have escaped from under the hood over the last decade - and your overall power delivery may not be as sharp and spiffy as it once was.

More importantly though that Monte weighs just shy of 3400lbs while your Seville is pushing two-tons... that's not just a "bit" heavier, that's a substantial amount. Beyond that... while when both were fresh from the factory, there may have only been a difference of 3hp between them, that Monte makes almost 30 more lb-ft of torque - combine that with being about a quarter of a ton lighter than the Seville and it's easy to see where the difference comes from.

Also, just another thing I'd like to point out... while I've never been to that dragtimes website, I'd assume that all of the entries are nothing more than user submissions? Being such, I'd find it highly doubtful that some people would never "shave" a little bit of time off here and there - so like everything else on the internet - take it with a grain of salt.

Eric
    Ok at no point did i make this into a personal attack however if you want to step it up to that level then fine.
    fact of the matter is over 15 second in a Touring model Seville is SLOW idk how you want to chalk it up, its just plain slow, i didnt blame the car since its a machine obviously it cant control what it does, usually when a car runs that far away from pace its the DRIVERS skill or should i say LACK THERE OF. You took your car to the track, you wanted to test it out, and im letting you know those times are way off stock. So either you did some ebay mods and killed power, or you simply dont understand how to drive. With that im done with this thread.

Now if you would of taken what i said and not acted like called you and your car a pos then i would of said two things to help improvement is
    1 turn off and bypass the t/c via the brake switch
    2 roll through the gears aka start off in 1 then upshift to 2 at redline then 3 etc...
    3 romp up, start at half throttle as soon as reach 5mph NAIL IT
    4 start off by power braking, hold the brake and gas it up to about 2-2500 rpm and hold until the light goes green

Quote Originally Posted by AMGoff View Post
    First of all... pay STS03 no mind whatsoever, because somehow he's come to know everything there is in a mere 21 years and whatever he doesn't know isn't really worth knowing in the first place. In his defense, he can be genuinely helpful at times as he does know some things fairly well... however, he has less tact than Marge Schott. While intelligence may have nothing to do with age - modesty sure does.
    Its called tact, i lack it, im very much straight to the point, i dont kiss a$$ and i dont sugar coat, if you havent realize that by now Goff and you dont like it, use the block button its severed me quite well on a few members.
    And to imply i know something yet nothing about this is just blatantly ignorant. Ive pioneered ALOT of development and improvements on the N* engine and have ponied up the $ to fund it. My mods have proven their worth, while speed is obviously not a primary interest of yours it was for me and before your attack on then go buy a Honda if i wanted a speed, no thanks i like my STS i pay for my STS and ill continue to buy Cadillac. Ive had TAs Z/28s and GTS and they dont compare in style.

And if age is your only attack you seem to use to justify with your disagreeableness with me on NUMEROUS subjects perhaps its not my age but your arrogance...

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

Who'd-a thunk this would happen.!?..

I'm so

submariner409, aka "The Great Karnack"

rofl!
    i love Hitmoney

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

This thread gives great head!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

In the words of Rodney King....

Can't we all just get along?!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

AMGoff is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '03 Seville STS, '89 Eldorado, '89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    In the words of Rodney King....

Can't we all just get along?!
    Agreed for the most part... however, I'm very much to the point, I don't sugar-coat, and I don't kiss behind... I can't help it if someone who comes across as offensive to quite a few people, especially new members, gets offended quite so easily.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.