Engine stopped at the end of an exit ramp Any IDEAS WHY?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Engine stopped at the end of an exit ramp Any IDEAS WHY? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1999 Deville I just purchased with 119,000 miles. Gave it a good performance test before I bought it, doesn't overheat ...
    bighank is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Engine stopped at the end of an exit ramp Any IDEAS WHY?

1999 Deville I just purchased with 119,000 miles. Gave it a good performance test before I bought it, doesn't overheat and shifts OK. Was driving on Saturday and just exited a limited access road and came to the bottom of the ramp. As I made a right turn onto the intersecting highway I felt the power steering get very stiff. I realized the motor had stopped. Coasted at about 20 MPH and was almost stopped when I put the transmission in Neutral and turned the ignition key to restart the engine. It started immediately. When I checked the DTC codes I found a (I THINK, don't remember if this is right) P5099 code which says the engine stalled or almost stalled. GREAT I KNEW THAT.

Other DTCs were present before. P5020 and P5027 I believe related to the transmission indicators not agreeing with the display. These were there before.

Now I'm afraid of the car stalling and dying somewhere far from home.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this problem? BIGHANK

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Engine stopped at the end of an exit ramp Any IDEAS WHY?

Eventually codes P 0335/6 and/or P0385/6 will set, indicating CKP A or B. Crankshaft Position Sensors. Do a search in the top bar search function.

Not a difficult DIY, but you need a lift and patience. Do them both due to newer parts manufacturer.

Both sensors total $85, www.rockauto.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com.

LOTS of posts about this common problem.

Crown Vic Owner is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 sls

if the CKP starts to do this, can the car be limped home?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Yes. CKP failures generally cause an engine stall, but then can be restarted with no problem. Most CKP failures are 2000 - 2003 due to a bad supplier. GM switched suppliers in early '03 to the best of my knowledge. BigHank has a '99, so not sure if that is his problem or not. Especially without a CKP code.

Unhappy Re: Engine stopped at the end of an exit ramp Any IDEAS WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by bighank View Post
    1999 Deville I just purchased with 119,000 miles. Gave it a good performance test before I bought it, doesn't overheat and shifts OK. Was driving on Saturday and just exited a limited access road and came to the bottom of the ramp. As I made a right turn onto the intersecting highway I felt the power steering get very stiff. I realized the motor had stopped. Coasted at about 20 MPH and was almost stopped when I put the transmission in Neutral and turned the ignition key to restart the engine. It started immediately. When I checked the DTC codes I found a (I THINK, don't remember if this is right) P5099 code which says the engine stalled or almost stalled. GREAT I KNEW THAT.

Other DTCs were present before. P5020 and P5027 I believe related to the transmission indicators not agreeing with the display. These were there before.

Now I'm afraid of the car stalling and dying somewhere far from home.

Any suggestions as to the cause of this problem? BIGHANK
    Actual DTC codes set are P1520 P1527 and P1599. No CKP codes so far.
    Have both the GM factory manuals and the Haynes manual. Saw the write up in the Haynes manual on replacing the CPS. Is this a tough job? Is the CKP accessable without disassembling a lot of things on the engine. Does anything have to be reset or reprogrammed after replacing the CKP sensor? If the CKP sensor goes out altogether will I not be able to restart the car?

If NOT the CKP sensor what other items would you suspect? Just slowed down from hard acceleration about 20 seconds before coasting down the exit ramp. Would anything related to deceleration cause something like this?

BIGHANK

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

As far as I know in some cases CKP sensors don't set a faulty code so you meditate why your car stalls despite not having a CKP code but your CKPs are shot despite that

Someone suggested a dirty throttle body or out of adjustment TPS. What are your views on this. How do you reset, repair, replace a TPS. I have cleaned throttle bodys and MAF sensors before but haven't delt with the CPS or TPS. BIGHANK

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

TPS is mounted on the TB opposite the throttle linkage and in line with the throttle plate shaft.

CKP sensors are above the oil filter adapter (which needs to be removed). I think there may be a tutorial in the Tech Tips section.

Clean the TB first. You may have a carboned up IAC valve or IAC circuit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.