Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the Euro
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the Euro in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    Jan Olsson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): -02 STS

Question Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the Euro

2002 STS Northstar 4.6L V8 (LD8/L37)

Hello everyone!

I have a slight problem. Or at least my -02 STS has
    The thing is that I have the W option (Z option on the older ones) but since it is a STS sold for the European market I have a delay for about 2 seconds until shifting into 2:nd from 4:th when accelerating hard. This is due to an idiot law here which is meant to keep down noise when passing other cars. I suppose it is not to scare some old farts doing 40 mph on a 55 road to death when passing them doing a WOT..

The test procedure works as follows: A car must have WOT and (as I recall) 3: rd or 4: th gear on a 5 gear manual doing x mph. The noise level is measured at two points in a distance of y yards from each other and the total sound level must not exceed z dB.
    To achieve this the programmers have made a delay so when I floor it the tranny shifts into 3: rd (waiting waiting) and then it shifts into 2: nd.

Imagine this on a 2-lane road with lots of bends and small opportunities to pass by. Sure I can shift it into 2: nd manually but I believe that an automatic transmission should be automatic, thatís the thing I kind of like about them
    So my question is if someone here would be so kind to share his/hers VIN with me? I know a guy who's willing to reprogram the computer and all he needs is a VIN for an American STS with the W (Z) -option.

Does anyone know if it is possible only to upgrade the PCM-chip and not the rest. As I recall it is NOT recommended to change any options in the newer STS:s. It works fine in the older ones but the newer ones are more "tailor maide" right from the factory so changing any options could be a disaster..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Re: Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the

talk to AJ
    hes your ONLY hope

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Olsson View Post
    2002 STS Northstar 4.6L V8 (LD8/L37)

Hello everyone!

I have a slight problem. Or at least my -02 STS has
    The thing is that I have the W option (Z option on the older ones) but since it is a STS sold for the European market I have a delay for about 2 seconds until shifting into 2:nd from 4:th when accelerating hard. This is due to an idiot law here which is meant to keep down noise when passing other cars. I suppose it is not to scare some old farts doing 40 mph on a 55 road to death when passing them doing a WOT..

The test procedure works as follows: A car must have WOT and (as I recall) 3: rd or 4: th gear on a 5 gear manual doing x mph. The noise level is measured at two points in a distance of y yards from each other and the total sound level must not exceed z dB.
    To achieve this the programmers have made a delay so when I floor it the tranny shifts into 3: rd (waiting waiting) and then it shifts into 2: nd.

Imagine this on a 2-lane road with lots of bends and small opportunities to pass by. Sure I can shift it into 2: nd manually but I believe that an automatic transmission should be automatic, thatís the thing I kind of like about them
    So my question is if someone here would be so kind to share his/hers VIN with me? I know a guy who's willing to reprogram the computer and all he needs is a VIN for an American STS with the W (Z) -option.

Does anyone know if it is possible only to upgrade the PCM-chip and not the rest. As I recall it is NOT recommended to change any options in the newer STS:s. It works fine in the older ones but the newer ones are more "tailor maide" right from the factory so changing any options could be a disaster..
    PM me your VIN
    I want to look at the Noise control RPO option and your PCM Calibration that you currently have. I have a program to get the funky shift out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    PM me your VIN
    I want to look at the Noise control RPO option and your PCM Calibration that you currently have. I have a program to get the funky shift out of it.
    Hi again!
    I tried to send you a PM but it seems to be a board restriction not allowing me to send any PM until I've maid 20 messages on this board. Seems like it's time for me to start wrighting...
    Perhaps it's possible for you to send me a PM for me to reply to?

even if he pms you
    you cannot pm back

become a supporting member and you can send pms right now

K29 Rpo

lol
    i dont like that smiley
    it usually means AJs up to something...

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

That's better than lowering himself to something.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

rofl
    my gf lowered herself onto something not too long ago

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

...........probably that stiff egg nog.

Talking Re: Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the

L37 EXPORT NOISE CONTROL CADILLAC ETC//STS
    LD8 U.S. NOISE CONTROL SEVILLE/MEXICAN DEVILLE

Gm had a few calibrations listed with Noise Control up to 99. The air filter box on some are Noise Control also. In 00 they did away with it, but K29 still shows up. K29 must mean Noise Control

nigelb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???

i have a RPO of K29 on my '00 STS (UK right hand drive) it's listed in my SM as 'Module Powertrain Control', i always wondered what it meant.
    my car does seem to take a few moments to change down into lower gears for overtaking but i just thought that all STS's did that.

axe
    axe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 94 Fleetwood Brougham, 02 Escalade

Mine is the same. It really kills the first 'S' in STS. If AJ could fix this and maybe also do some performance 'fixes' for the EU cars I'd be like...

Talking Re: Need a VIN to a STS with the Z(W) option, I have the option but I don't like the

Quote Originally Posted by axe View Post
    Mine is the same. It really kills the first 'S' in STS. If AJ could fix this and maybe also do some performance 'fixes' for the EU cars I'd be like...
    Believe me, my -93 STS I had didn't have the "noice control". If I hit the pedal it shifted from 4:th to 2:nd almost instantly and left all those crappy cars like Volvos, Saabs and Audis back in the dust where they belong... Now I have to manually shift it to 2:nd. Ok the -93 was like a half second slower 0-60 mph but the lack of delay actually did it faster when passing other cars.

Not really much to do to improve the performance on the Northstar since it's naturally aspirated with all the goodies right from the factory. The only thing that slows these cars down are the stupid bureaucrats here in Europe. But the only car (except from 911 Porsches and such) that got past me last year was a Jaguar XKR (If I recall this right, whatever car it was I was disappointed until I got home and checked the performance on www.edmunds.com) with almost 370 hp. Oh yes he passed me but he had to work for it anyway

One again many thanks to you AJxtcman. I'm going to try tomorrow!

It worked like a charm! Today I had the crappy shifts removed and it feels like a completely different car. Just like my -93 with the instant shift that I've missed so much.
    The guy who upgraded my computer has his garage 190 miles away but it was really worth it. Did it for free too (runs his own shop and is one of the few that I trust with cars in this country, call me crazy but I do all the work myself on all my cars because I don't trust mechanics in general especially not when it comes to newer GM-vehicles)

One again many thanks AJxtcman, I owe you one!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.