Fuel Line Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Fuel Line Leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My Eldorado decided to give me a x-mas present this year in the form of a pin hole leak in ...
    blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Fuel Line Leak

My Eldorado decided to give me a x-mas present this year in the form of a pin hole leak in my fuel line... this is after last months 100K mile mark present of a broken window regulator. I had been smelling gas when idling and when parking.. though it was my rusting fuel filler tube but upon further inspection I noticed gas spraying from the fuel line that is to the side of the throttle body by the egr valve.

So i was wondering.. can I use some kind of sealer on this little hole to patch it for now?.. my mechanic is 1.5 hrs away so it needs to make the trip.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Fuel Line Leak

In an hour and a half this could turn into the disaster video on the 6:00PM news. Wear your fire suit and make sure your insurance is paid up. All joking aside this is already a disaster narrowly avoided. Don't tempt fate again.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That line runs about 45 psi fuel pressure. Patching it is like playing Russian Roulette. I'm with Koz. Don't take chances.

So basically my only option is to flatbed it to a mechanic?..

Are they gonna be able to cut out and replace that section with the pinhole or will they have to run a whole new fuel line all the way back?..

I wonder how much this "present" is gonna cost me.

Crown Vic Owner is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 sls

replace the whole line

and because its a cadillac, you MIGHT miss your house payment this month

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Is the leak coming from the fuel line before where it connects to the fuel rail under the beauty cover that connects to all the fuel injectors? That I haven't heard of.

If it is the fuel rail, then that was a safety recall covered by Cadillac - they replace the plastic fuel rail with a stainless one - no charge.

RM

Yep.. it's before. The line is the one with the big yellow FUEL sticker on it that is under the throttle body / near the EGR.

Flatbed is coming tomorrow morning.. the charges of the alone are over $100 already. I'm praying that Crown Vic isn't correct about the price of the line!!

Tateos, His car is a '94 and thus is not covered by the recall.

The '93/'94 fuel rails are inside the manifold and so you could drive it to a mechanic (if the leak is small). If the leak is prior to the fuel rail and is external, you could try a patch if the distance to drive is short and you test it first to be sure it holds. Even then you are taking a chance. Just make sure the odds are in your favor if you do it.

I do not think there is a stainless steel rail for the '93/'94 nor do I think they can or will replace one section. most likely they will replace the entire rail.

Based on what you just posted, it is not the fuel rail, but the fuel supply line I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Based on what you just posted, it is not the fuel rail, but the fuel supply line I think.
    Correct.. it has to be the supply line (unless theres more than one line that comes in) . Part of me wants to put a dab of epoxy on it and see what happens.. the mechanic is about a 40 min drive which i'm afraid might be overkill to whatever patch I put on.

Tat.. thanks for the link. Gives some hope this might not cost an arm & leg.

blunted - an update please

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

So how did this play out?
    I just read this thread for the first time. I was thinking that with a piece of rubber and a small hose clamp you might have been able to seal the leak long enough to get to a service center. It's something you could keep in your trunk for emergencies.

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    So how did this play out?
    I just read this thread for the first time. I was thinking that with a piece of rubber and a small hose clamp you might have been able to seal the leak long enough to get to a service center. It's something you could keep in your trunk for emergencies.
    I was thinking the same thing with the rubber and clamp or possibly using vulcanizing tape. I don't know that I would patch a gas leak - I would just figure out how to fix it myself.

UPDATE:

After much drama getting a flatbed (they sent the wrong truck..overcharging etc etc) I sent the car on its way to Daves Auto Repair in NJ. I found that place thanks to the recommendation posted by a fellow member -CadiMac52- (Thank You!..This is a great spot!!). Basically the part with the leak was cut out, a replaced by some new tube and a couple fittings. He also swapped out my broken window regulator as well. I was about to do what you guys said, and take a piece of injector tubing I found at the auto store and clamp it on top to get it there.. but everyone around me told me I was an ass for considering it so I just towed it.. better safe than sorry.

On the way back home I got an unsafe lane change ticket because of improper signs pointing to the friggin turnpike!!! I signaled and everything! Told the cop I got lost.. showed him how my GPS was acting like I was in the middle of the ocean and that the incorrect signs put me in that lane to begin with and he comes back with a ticket that brings along points (THANKS NEW JERSEY!) To make matters worse, 10 min later my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on with a P039 code.

After some research, seems like if i'm lucky this can be fixed with a new PROM chip. Maybe this will give me an excuse to buy that tuned PCM now.
    Either way.. I think after 10K in fixing I gotta throw in the towel. I wanted to wait for the 2010 Camaro but it seems like I'll have to get the upcoming G8 instead. I cant justify spending more money in something that keeps kicking me in the nuts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.