'94 Northstar Rebuild--Need Specs.. Help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, '94 Northstar Rebuild--Need Specs.. Help? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello, We are currently preparing to rebuild a Northstar V8 which I believe came from a '94 Deville. I was ...
    derekbroerse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS LuxIII, 1996 Sedan Deville

Question '94 Northstar Rebuild--Need Specs.. Help?

Hello,

We are currently preparing to rebuild a Northstar V8 which I believe came from a '94 Deville. I was told it had blown a head gasket and was making some noise from the bottom end. We haven't inspected anything yet. I was hoping to locate some spec's on the pistons and crank etc. so I can mike everything up first... also torque specs would be very helpful.

Does anyone have a service manual that lists this info? Can I talk someone into scanning a few pages for me?

Any further advice would be helpful as this is our first Northstar project...

Thanks in advance,
    Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

botboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham 4-speed

Re: '94 Northstar Rebuild--Need Specs.. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by derekbroerse
    Hello,

We are currently preparing to rebuild a Northstar V8 which I believe came from a '94 Deville. I was told it had blown a head gasket and was making some noise from the bottom end. We haven't inspected anything yet. I was hoping to locate some spec's on the pistons and crank etc. so I can mike everything up first... also torque specs would be very helpful.

Does anyone have a service manual that lists this info? Can I talk someone into scanning a few pages for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Derek

PM me or email me (botboy60 at hotmail dot com)
    I have both the engine and chassis/body manuals from cadillac, and all the pamphlets with error codes, etc for 93-94 caddies. Let me know what you need and I can probably give you the hookup.

Roswell256 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Same here. I haved the Helm service manuals for the 94. Let me know what you need.

1stcaddy4me is offline Cadillac Owners Member

if you guys dont mind, i sure could use the section on "r&r"for the timing belts.

thanks 94 sts
    Attached Images

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    Derek
    If you are looking for an Expert on the Northstar Engines when it comes to getting "Inside" one > bbob will be the one you will Definately want to get the Correct Repair/Rebuild Procedures from. HE Knows Northstars like the back of his Hand

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

There are many on this site who know the N*, but i think BBOB is like Yoda.

dloch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

FYI. When you do pull the bottom end a part you will need to replace the rod bolts when you put it back together. I don't know if ARP rod bolts for a N* or not I didn't need to pull mine that far down, just two rods.

If you have need to turn the crank GM doesn't offer undersized rod or main bearing for a N* but there are people who do.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcaddy4me
    if you guys dont mind, i sure could use the section on "r&r"for the timing belts.

thanks 94 sts

You will be looking long and hard for the section to R&R the timing belts in a Northstar....LOL....it doesn't have BELTS.....it has chains that never need replacing. Only your Lexus needs to have the timing belts replaced....LOL.

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    Derek

Why don't you do your self and your customer a favor and buy the factory service manual for the Northstar engine so that you do the repair correctly. The engine has a multitude of special procedures and requires special tensioning of the various critical fasteners. Relying on the internet to get this information is not fair to your customer nor very productive for you. Plus, when you do it wrong and screw up the engine for lack of familiarity with it then it gives the engine a bad rep because someone tried to blacksmith it. Get the correct service manual and then ask questions.

my bad its the belt that drives the water pump off a cam pully

any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by 1stcaddy4me
    my bad its the belt that drives the water pump off a cam pully

any tips?
    Easy to replace. Just remove the shield covering the belt so as to gain access. Loosen the tensioner with a 1/4 drive rachet in the square drive lug and slip the belt off the cam pulley. Twist the belt so that it turns sideways so that it will clear the water pump pulley below. Exercise the tensioner with the drive lug to make sure that it operates correctly and moves freely. Lube the pivot point to ensure proper movement and tensioning. Install new belt by twisting to get it past the water pump pulley. Reinstall over the cam pulley by unloading the tensioner again. Replace belt guard. No real force needed anywhere along the way so if something seems hard to move or needs a lot of force think twice before muscling it.

thanks bbobnski, i bought the belt today and plan on replaceing it tomorrow

ill let you know how it goes

Nottacop is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Any problems replacing the belt? I tried to replace mine but couldn't seem to get the belt past the tensioner. I guess tomorrow I'll take off the tensioner to get it out. Is there another way.

Twist the belt between your fingers so that it lies on edge and it will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottacop
    Any problems replacing the belt? I tried to replace mine but couldn't seem to get the belt past the tensioner. I guess tomorrow I'll take off the tensioner to get it out. Is there another way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.