Oil Consumption with the Northstar - any problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil Consumption with the Northstar - any problems? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm looking at the new SRX with the Northstar engine. It's the new engine with variable valve timing, but it's ...
    lodigid is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oil Consumption with the Northstar - any problems?

I'm looking at the new SRX with the Northstar engine. It's the new engine with variable valve timing, but it's still a Northstar underneath the new gizmos. My question is whether the Northstar has any oil consumption problems being an all aluminum engine. What is typical oil conumption for those of you with Northstars out there who take good care of them (3,000 mile oil changes with mineral oil, 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic). Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Oil Consumption with the Northstar - any problems?

Quote Originally Posted by lodigid
    I'm looking at the new SRX with the Northstar engine. It's the new engine with variable valve timing, but it's still a Northstar underneath the new gizmos. My question is whether the Northstar has any oil consumption problems being an all aluminum engine. What is typical oil conumption for those of you with Northstars out there who take good care of them (3,000 mile oil changes with mineral oil, 5,000 mile oil changes with synthetic). Any advice would be appreciated.
    The Northstar engine in the SRX was significantly re-engineered for the RWD applications. In addition, there were a number of detailed changes made to the piston and ring pack as well as the cylinder wall finish to reduce oil consumption even further. I don't think you will see/hear any issues on oil consumption on the RWD Northstars. I would expect about 4000-5000 miles per quart on them. Those engines REQUIRE synthetic oil due to the deletion of the oil cooler and the VVT mechanism needing the more consistent viscosity of the synthetic oil at cold temperatures to operate the "hydraulics" of the VVT system. Conventional oil(or mineral oil as you say) is not an option. If you follow the oil life monitor as recommended for the change intervals it will schedule oil changes up to 12,500 miles apart given optimun driving conditions. I would recommend following the oil life monitor for oil change intervals. It is the most accurate way of predicting when the oil needs to be changed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.