2002 deville/dhs engine trouble
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2002 deville/dhs engine trouble in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi I have a 2002 deville/dhs with 175,000 miles, bought it at 25,000 miles 5 years ago and have tried ...
    ajaved is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2002 deville/dhs engine trouble

Hi
    I have a 2002 deville/dhs with 175,000 miles, bought it at 25,000 miles 5 years ago and have tried to maintain it pretty well.

For past 3- 4 weeks when engine is cold (live in Ohio so in mornings temp is about 30-45 degrees) it makes a high pitched whining sound when initially driving and performs sluggishly, car have less power, acceleration is slow, and have to rev it a lot to make it reverse out of driveway, and to get it to initially start moving and to accelerate. The whining sound persists through gear changes and is more pronounced when accelerating.

After about 15 minutes of driving the sound gradually goes away and car performs fine. It only occurs when the engine is cold and has not been running for a few hours.
    This problem seems to be getting worse slowly over the past few weeks.
    Took it to my mechanic he didn't know what to make of it.

6 months ago had catalytic converter problem while on the road and had it changed, ran well since than although my mechanic tells me it is an after market part and does trip the diagnotic/check engine light but it seems to be functioning fine

Check engine light is on mechanic says it is due to the catalytic converter

Also had coolant changed 3 months ago since than I get reminder to check coolant level although level is fine....... when changing it the shop said they didn't have dexcool but the coolant was same or better than dexcool

Don't know if the coolant or catalytic converter have anything to do with this engine problem but thought I would give a little info in case it is pertinent.

Appreciate any input that may be helpful.

Otherwise this car has been a great car driven it a lot and continues to perform well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: 2002 deville/dhs engine trouble

When the check engine light is on, there will be "P" codes set. We need the codes. Here is how to display them
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-warning.html

fristim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Concours 212,000 orginal motor,trans

Well the whine that you're talking about I would assume is problem a hydraulic whine from the tranny. I can almost bet that the whine goes away once the car is warm due to the fact that the seals swell and and then they do their job. Once you said that the car was sluggish to move when at first start up let me know that the trannys slipping. Not the end of the world, do a fluid a change and see if that improves your symptons. I've added a friction modifier to my fluid and that has helped a lot with the cold start slippage. The whine is still there and more noticable at shift points. I read somewhere that GM has a seal additive that works pretty good. Bottom line though prob time for a rebuild. I'd say though that it wouldn't be anytime soon!

Hi

Thanks very much for the input.

I did pull the codes they are

U1016 (loss of class 2 communication with vcm)

P0420 current ( catalyst system low efficiency)

P0741 current ( TCC system stuck off)

I did have a catalytic converter replaced 5 months ago, It was a aftermarket part and my regular mechanic told me this code was coming up, and suggested I take it to the guy who repaired it.
    Could the catalytic converter be part of the problem??

The other codes I don't know what their significance is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

P0741 current ( TCC system stuck off)
    Do a search for TCC or P0741. It's been explained in detail many times.

Thanks for info.
    Searched as you suggested, you're right this code has been discussed extensively.

Very helpful and informative site

Car continued to give problems, and took it in.... its the transmission, need a new one.
    Too bad I was just about to trade it in and get a 06 or 07 DTS with low mileage, but now will get tranny replaced and keep the car for a while now.
    Its got 180,000 miles on it any thoughts on whether to keep it for another year or to get rid of it soon??

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

Well if you were going to trade it why not just go down there with the engine warm and trade it, the whine will be not present during that time. Rather than dumping tons of money into it.

too late now, causing more problems than just the whine.

In the past 2 days got much worse was not just a whine any longer car had hard time driving and not shifting too well.
    Also didn't feel right not disclosing the problem when trading it in.

They offered me $2000 a couple of months ago trade in value when it was driving well. Now they would have made me pay them!!
    I figured if its only worth $2000 than its better just to keep driving it as it was working fine.

Hopefully when I get it back can get a year of trouble free driving that might make it worth it.

Will let you know how the repairs turn out.

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

You have done well. 180k is not new at all.

well got the car back.... cost $4500 for new Jasper transmission, with labor, etc has a 100,000 mile warranty.

well got the car back cost $4500 for a new jasper transmision, has 100,000 mile warranty.
    Running great now.
    Don't know how long I should keep it, I wonder how long the engine itself lasts for?
    Don't want any more major problems
    Will keep it for at least a few months hopefully I won't have any major problems

Overall has been a pretty good car, and runs real well, maybe I will try to keep it till it hits 200,000 miles

afroney is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajaved View Post
    too late now, causing more problems than just the whine.

In the past 2 days got much worse was not just a whine any longer car had hard time driving and not shifting too well.
    Also didn't feel right not disclosing the problem when trading it in.

They offered me $2000 a couple of months ago trade in value when it was driving well. Now they would have made me pay them!!
    I figured if its only worth $2000 than its better just to keep driving it as it was working fine.

Hopefully when I get it back can get a year of trouble free driving that might make it worth it.

Will let you know how the repairs turn out.

I would feel bad for ripping off an individual if I were not to disclose the tranny issue, but I would not hesitate to dump the car on the dealership as a trade. They will never give you what the car is worth anyways.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.