Thanks for nothing, Northstar.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Thanks for nothing, Northstar. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, it finally happened. A Cadillac got me in trouble. As you all remember I had purchased a 1998 STS ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Thanks for nothing, Northstar.

Well, it finally happened.

A Cadillac got me in trouble. As you all remember I had purchased a 1998 STS which I wasn't too fond of cosmetically, but to the best of my knowledge had no mechanical problems at all.

I even had made a thread in the Seville forum about normal ranges for the temp gauge, and everything seemed just fine.

I put the car up for sale and was very honest about it's condition, especially the cosmetic flaws. I put that it ran well and as far as I knew had no problems mechanically. Made sure to mention that it was AS IS and that I couldnt possibly know every problem with any car of course.

So the car ended up selling for basically what I paid for it (even less when you consider the 125.00 I spent on the detail job and misc. other expenses), and I even agreed to meet the buyer 100 miles away since he was flying in from out of state.

As some of you know on the way there the stupid radiator side-tank cracked. I called the buyer and told him I would be happy to refund his deposit, or get the car fixed the next morning... again, at my expense. Well, 565.00 and a new water pump (needlessly replaced) and radiator later, I had the car back, and by this time the buyer had already flown back home since he had come to look at the car in person, but the radiator was not yet fixed. (The GM shop replaced the WP when they should have done the rad, so I had to send it back). The car never overheated and when they pressure tested it they found the only leak was at the radiator (which they should have done in the first place). Fine, I finally get my fixed car back and am assured by the Service Manager at the Chevrolet dealership I got stuck next to that it was for sure no longer leaking, he would "bet that service tech's job on it".

Fast forward to two weeks later and the guy comes and picks up the car. At this point I had discounted him ANOTHER 125.00 to help pay for his flight back down here for the trouble.

We both sign bills of sale stating the car is AS IS AGAIN. I have my cash and the guy leaves, and Im just happy the whole fiasco is over.

Then 6 days later the guy calls me ranting about how he only made it 500 miles before he had to refill the coolant. Then when he got home he had it pressure tested and they found cylinder 1 was leaking coolant. Bad HG. Quoted over 3.5k for the repair. To add to the torment, this shop he took the car said the water pump was STILL leaking (the supposedly replaced one), and the coolant manifold had some issue as well.

At this point I proceed to tell him the sale was as-is and there was nothing I could do even though I felt really terrible, I also made it clear that in the state of FL ALL private-party sales are considered AS IS regardless of paperwork or not. We had some curt words and he accused me of KNOWING the HG was bad before I sold the car, and He tells me he is going to talk to his attorney, so basically threatening a lawsuit. Great, I think to myself... "A Northstar has finally managed to get me sued".

I called him back the next day feeling bad for my poor attitude, and offered him 1k to help with his repairs. At this point, this would be 2k Ive lost on this stupid car. He has the gall to tell me he will *THINK* about it and the next thing I hear is an Ebay Safeharbor/Insurance representative calling to get my side of what happened.

So long story short, I was again accused of lying but I told the ebay people I would stand by my offer of 1k to help the guy out. They spoke with him, then called me back and told me he finally agreed to that offer (probably because they werent going to give him a penny). We will see if he tries to extort more money out of me.

I hadn't posted about this because I was afraid of the legal ramifications, but sheesh what a f****ing circus.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

Re: Thanks for nothing, Northstar.

Speaking of Sevilles, I just got mine back from the dealer for a $1400 rear main seal leak repair (thank you warranty).

Northstars for the most part seem to be a hit or miss deal, leaning more towards miss.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The facts are, you sold it as is, you truly believed the radiator was repaired and you had no idea about the other issue. Because he wants to sue you and has got eBay involved, I think you should consider giving him nothing. Unless you're convinced he'll follow through with court and you can lose. It doesn't sound like a court case that would last very long. I mean, it seems to me that, especially since you live in Florida with the "as is" law, you're safe. What attorney would even bother with the case?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Wow, what a sham. He signed the contract saying "as is", and I'd assume he test drove it and got it good and warm to test for the HG's. Oh well though, if he signed the contract, I guess there's really nothing you have to do. Even giving him the $1,000 is a sign of good will at this point.

And this is why I avoid the Northstar at all costs.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

I just have alot going on in my life right now, health issues and all kinds of stuff. I dont like the feeling of having people breathing down my neck especially with so much else going on.

If I dont give him the money now, it will open up an entirely new can of worms.

I wonder if the Northstar would be less subjective to overheating if you ran holy water through it?

Current:

Past:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Nice.

Could it be entirely possible that a HG can go in one day? I mean, if you've never had problems with them, and he does the day he picked it up, could it mean that they went south in one day?

Current:

Past:

Well according to him it has still never overheated, but he drove it alot more than I did, and alot father. I drove it in town and other than the coolant level dropping from the MASSIVE LEAK AT THE RADIATOR, I never had to add any.

I also didnt have to add any between the 130 miles I drove the car back from Fort Myers, the time I had the car here, and the 65 miles or so to the place where the radiator tank ruptured.

Car only had 66k.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Feck,that sucks . I really hate to see when such nice members are suffering from their beloved cars . In fact, 66K is pretty low mileage .

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Buying used vehicles with no warranty = caveat emptor. You owe this person SQUAT! Don't give him a dime. If he signed an "as is" bill of sale he doesn't have a leg to stand on. There's no way he can prove you knew of any pre-existing problems, which leaves him with no civil recourse. If the vehicle ran long enough to get him home where he parked it in his driveway, he got his $$$ worth.

He'll never win against you in claims court. Don't sweat it.

eta: You were more generous than I would have been. For all you know he could have put the pedal to the medal for those 500 miles and caused the damage himself.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

It holds right up to the day it starts to leak. There might have been some overheating happen unnoticed with the radiator leak that weakened it. Who's to know now?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

You did the right thing, sharing in the expense. I would've done the same.
    Are you still looking for another STS, or is that it with the N* experience for you?
    Did you sell your mom's older LS400?

BTW, thanks again for your advice to me on my 2000 LS400 ... the car feels like
    it will circle the globe without missing a beat. First used car I've bought with absolutely zero
    issues. It simply feels over engineered.
    Three months later, the dealer I traded my STS in at is still sitting on it ... he's lowered the price by $2k,
    but its not moving.

http://www.thornhillsaturnsaab.com/

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Select "Cadillac" to see pictures of my old 2001 silver STS.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

I think you were very fair with him,you have nothing to feel guilty about.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.