How long do you think caddy will keep the N*?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How long do you think caddy will keep the N*? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The northstar has been around for 14 years, and while its been revised, the power output hasn't changed. It seems ...
    misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

How long do you think caddy will keep the N*?

The northstar has been around for 14 years, and while its been revised, the power output hasn't changed. It seems to be limited to around 300 horsepower, granted thats good amount of power, but other car makers keep upping their hp numbers, I don't see why caddy doesn't. I loved my northstar, but how long can it be competitive with other car makers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MM STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 STS Crimson Pearl/Blk, 18" STS wheels,Strut Tower Brace

Re: How long do you think caddy will keep the N*?

Quote Originally Posted by misfit6794 View Post
    The northstar has been around for 14 years, and while its been revised, the power output hasn't changed. It seems to be limited to around 300 horsepower, granted thats good amount of power, but other car makers keep upping their hp numbers, I don't see why caddy doesn't. I loved my northstar, but how long can it be competitive with other car makers?
    I think its the front drive package that limits the N*. If you'll notice the lesser powered N* (275hp) came with more torque. The latest generation of N* for the rear (all) wheel drive cars is up to 469hp on the STS-V. They could probably have put more HP in them but just kept the FWD managable. Mike

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Direct injection, VVT, expect a 370-400hp NA "base" northstar soon.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The 4.6L 32V DOHC engine, in a version dubbed Northstar by GM, can be resurrected in many forms. OHC (semi-hemi)technology has been around for perhaps 80 -90 years, so the idea is old hat. Heck, Crosley was building 4-cyl OHC screamers in 1946. We've all seen many different engine manufacturers come out with OHC products, but the OHV/cam-in-block hangs on due to lower manufacturing costs.

How long will the "Northstar" hang on? As long as there are internal combustion engines.

When will the engine get bigger, with more torque and HP ? When you pay for it. (Don't forget that, back in the '60's, 350, 435, 475 HP and greater were normal figures for any number of over-the-counter street cars, from all US makers.)

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

I had the Auora with the autoban package 250hp & compared to my Deville with 300hp they feel exactly the same off the line, Im assuming the weight of the Deville absorbs some of the pick up, I never drove a 275hp N* is the pickup off the line that much better?
    I know i'm rambling, the fastest car off the line i had was the 90 devile 4.5 180hp, that would take Stangs off the line, anyway.........

300hp is more than enough for me, where am I going??

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I think even some major changes are available Cadillac will never change the name Northstar .

Crown Vic Owner is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 sls

I think the northstar is due for a redesign, and i hope the engineers that made this engine keep on smoking the same pot they were smoking when they build the newer engine.

Noone really understands the northstar out there, they think its just a normal engine.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by misfit6794 View Post
    Q: The FWD version or RWD version?
    They have money in the RWD design they need to get out of it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1 View Post
    Direct injection, VVT, expect a 370-400hp NA "base" northstar soon.
    I don't think so. We are told 2010 will be then end of the FWD Northstar. Does that mean no more FWD?

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Vic Owner View Post
    I think the northstar is due for a redesign, and i hope the engineers that made this engine keep on smoking the same pot they were smoking when they build the newer engine.

Noone really understands the northstar out there, they think its just a normal engine.

The new engine is done and running, They don't have a home for it. I am sure it is not Emissions Certified

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado Collectors Series and 1994 Fleetwood

They have held onto it for so long because it is the only "Cadillac" motor in their lineup. Everything else has a shared motor with some other platform.

I say throw the Northstar and start going with the LSX platform motors. Despite being archaic in design, they do offer cheaper maintenance, better power, and the option to run E85.
    1994 Cadillac Fleetwood- the sleeper project
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am Collectors Edition WS6 Conv't- the show car
    2002 Cadillac Eldorado Collectors Series # 1572
    2006 Mini Cooper S BRG 6spd- the autox gokart
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged- wife's daily driver
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Crew 4x4- daily driver/tow vehicle

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I agree with '96 Fleetwood !
    For instance:'94-96 Fleetwoods with the LT1 engine .You can enjoy lots of power yet can be tuned too .

blb
    blb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood View Post

I say throw the Northstar and start going with the LSX platform motors. Despite being archaic in design, they do offer cheaper maintenance, better power, and the option to run E85.
    I have to agree with 96Fleetwood on this.......and the LSX's don't eat headgaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood View Post
    They have held onto it for so long because it is the only "Cadillac" motor in their lineup. Everything else has a shared motor with some other platform.

GM wants Cadillac to stop using Chevy motors. I have posted articles that state the 09 CTS-V will be a 3.6L DI with a Blower. I am leaning on the I don't believe it side.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Whatever they do, I hope it is a step up and not backwards. Same or better HP, torque and mileage (with better gaskets).

afterburn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Seville SLS

I've seen this happen over and over, although I have not lived through it. There are always times in the auto manufacturing business when cars are built with GREAT horsepower, and then you have those years where they decrease the power SO MUCH its not even funny. Then later they have the muscle car era, and then back to the gas savers. Its always gonna happen, GM can't always have a lineup of muscle engines because their MPG need to be along the Federal laws boundaries. I think it the required OVERALL MPG right now is at about 30-32 MPG, thats why GM has the AVEO and the COBALT, they save gas and help regulate the OVERALL MPG.

New Caddy Gets GM Most Muscular V-6

The following article was published in the Automotive News.

By Richard Truett
    March 26, 2007

General Motors' use of the latest engine technology to help rebuild its image continues this fall with a powerful new engine for a pair of Cadillacs.

The 300-hp, 3.6-liter V-6 slated to debut in the revamped Cadillac CTS and the bigger STS sedan is the most powerful V-6 GM has ever built – and that includes the turbocharged 3.8-liter used in the 1987 Buick GNX coupe.

The trick? Direct fuel injection, or DI.

DI moves the fuel injectors off the intake manifold and places them between the valves on the cylinder head. That enables a high compression ratio, which increases power. GM engineers designed special pistons for the engine to ensure smooth starts in cold weather.

They also devised a way to reduce noise from the fuel injectors, which operate under about 1,700 pounds of pressure. A collar between the injectors and the cylinder head absorbs shocks and reduces clicking noise as the injectors shoot fuel into the cylinders.

Only a handful of North American vehicles use DI. But the number is expected to grow in the coming years as automakers look to squeeze more power and fuel economy out of engines while lowering emissions and reducing displacement.

The new 3.6-liter may be Cadillac's most important engine since the 1993 introduction of the Northstar V-8. That engine, a 4.6-liter, saw Cadillac introduce overhead cams and 32 valves. The original Northstar produced 290 hp – 10 less than the new V-6.

Cadillac's new engine outmuscles most six-cylinder powerplants from Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Lincoln and others and is expected to help the restyled CTS get off to a fast start.

The increased power doesn't come at the expense of fuel economy, says Ameer Haider, assistant chief engineer for GM's HF-V6. The 2007 CTS with its 255-hp, 3.6-liter V-6 is rated at 18 mpg city and 27 mpg highway.

The 2008 engine's EPA ratings won't be final until summer. Haider says the engine is expected to deliver a 3 percent fuel economy gain and produce lower emissions, especially when first started in the morning.

Last year, Pontiac was GM's first domestic brand to use a direct-injection engine. The 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder in the Solstice GXP roadster cranks out 260 hp and gets slightly better fuel economy than the Solstice's standard 2.4-liter, 177-hp engine.

GM plans to offer direct injection on more models and to produce as many as 200,000 direct-injected engines by 2010.

I will find the article about the 3.6L supercharged CTS-V

leftlanenews
    Several publications have repeatedly insisted the new CTS-V will be powered by the LS7, but this is completely false. GM cannot spend engineering dollars on a CTS-V to start with the LS7, then 12 to 18 months later, switch motors after the LS7 is discontinued. Rather, the super Caddy will feature an all-new powerplant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.