Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

294K views 546 replies 243 participants last post by  ihc70 
#1 ·
Here is the Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread. Please choose your year of Cadillac and state if you have had a headgasket problem with your Seville or Eldorado and what mileage it occured at. If you have never had a problem please do not participate in the poll!

#459 ·
Thanks Chris. Do you have any idea how many hours are listed for that job ? Is there a better/less expensive alternative to doing inserts ? I thought maybe a new old stock long/short block or a remanned crate motor might be a better solution but, I really know nothing about the N* .

#460 ·
less expensive, yes (used motor swap)
better, no (you won't know if that used motor will fail on you in 6 weeks or 6 months)

other options: stud it with one of the various studding options (usually costs about the same unless you have access to the tools needed to insert the block already)

given that you have the coarse thread pitch already there is no need to insert the block (or even stud imho)

all you need to do is replace the head gaskets and bolts (along with a few other gaskets and seals while you're in there)
and make sure you get the torque specs correct and you should be all good (at least that's how this lowly parts guy understands it)

This post has been deleted
#461 ·
"given that you have the coarse thread pitch already there is no need to insert the block (or even stud imho) "

Wow, I had the impression that some sort of a thread "re-do" was always needed in the block for head bolts ! If it's not needed, I am left wondering why the Cadillac dealership doesn't seem to be aware of this fact and is telling me something different ? I'd think that not having to do the inserts should mean there'd be less hours and parts costs involved. Maybe a lot less than the $4200-$4400 estimate that I was given? I'm thinking that for an additional $1000-$1750 or so, that I'd be better off installing a reman. unit with lots of new parts used in it's build, and, a longer warranty than the dealer repair job would offer. I sure do wish this car had a 3800 V6 in it !

#462 ·
there's a little less parts cost (we charge $6 for each of the 20 inserts so that's $120 less in parts)
and the labor should be a bit less since there's no drilling/tapping (i'm not really sure on the time savings there though)

reman engines are sometimes a bit of a gamble ... you don't want to end up with the same problem down the road (of course)
the reman engines also often cost upwards of $4000 usually too (but they also usually come with a good warranty)

we usually charge less than $3000 for a HG job so it might be worth it to shop around the various cadillac dealers that are in your area and see who seems to be the most knowledgeable about the job and who's got the best price

#463 ·
Thanks. I'm afraid I'm already on the hook at the dealer where the car is currently since they've already dropped the engine and may have already started the tear down. My biggest concern is whether my service agreement issuer is gonna' cover the repairs at the price that the dealer has quoted, or, at all for that matter. If it's got to be completely out of my pocket, I'm leaning towards getting a rollback to bring the car to an independent shop and having a studded, Carrol Cadillac reman. engine installed, or, one from Northstar Performance . Thanks for your help and advice, Chris ! Please wish me luck, I could really use some right about now! :D

#466 ·
I have zero info on the cooling system history on this car, we were told that it was completely serviced and "ready to go" when we bought it in July of 2012 w/approx. 22,000mi.. As a precaution, I recently planned to do a coolant flush and right about that same time......the low coolant light started to appear. I read for hours about that engine's (4.6L LD8 N*) problems and various quirks. I wanted to believe that it was one of the many leak points like freeze plugs or crossover gaskets. I almost concluded that the dealer that sold us the car, when they did the coolant service, was unaware of the GM sealant tabs and maybe that was all that would be needed to correct a "nuisance" coolant loss. I was shocked when we bought a used 2000 Bonneville SLE in 2003 and I saw a dark, slimy mess in the coolant recovery tank. We were told then that it was from almond shells, etc. , completely normal and GM approved ! I guess it may be the age of the car (and coolant) that's caused the problem and that it's having less than 32,000 miles is not very relevant. It is a nice looking car that has a great exhaust note and is fun to drive, they're also relatively rare so, I guess we'll ultimately fix it and hang on to it. Might even acquire a spare engine as a back-up ! :yup:

#467 ·
I don't think the GM Sealant tabs were used after 2003. I didn't have any in my 2003 DHS, no label. The original reason was to avoid nuisance leaks that could eventually result in low coolant. A car with a low coolant level is more likely to overheat and blow a head gasket. In this sense, it is plausible that they can [indirectly] help prevent a blown HG. I had a crossover coolant leak, and it went away with the tabs. They are indeed made from crushed ginger root and walnut shells--they find leaks and expand when dry, effectively plugging small leaks. The dark mess in the 2000 Bonnie was probably overuse of these tabs, or they were put in the low flow reservoir instead of in a high flow coolant area, such as the radiator hoses. It's definitely a nice car and very worth the repair in my opinion. Do the repair well with someone who has experience or do it yourself to be sure it's done right (not for the faint of heart lol). Various members here have done it themselves. Maeng9981 did two!

#469 ·
Have been looking at a few N* Cadillac's again to replace my BMW. I found a *gorgeous* '98 Deville for $4400 with 85k miles and really the only thing that holds me back on these cars is the HGs. If it were to fail I would try to fix it myself with the help of a few friends or take it down to Rippy. It seems that the HG jobs on these cars is getting cheaper and cheaper to do.

#470 ·
I had seen elsewhere in this thread that the 200? engines are bulletproof. My 2005 started misfiring a little on start-up a week ago, so I decided to pull the spark plugs and yup, there's coolant in cylinder #8. So I added my tick to the 2005 year. Interesting that I'm following not far behind Arrowhead, the other 2005 entry.

Is there any other reason that this could be there besides a head gasket failure? (My old '94 had a water passage gasket that cracked that allowed water into the EGR passage which found its way into the intake but I don't see anything like that in the FSM drawings. Could always be a cracked head or block, but I really hope we aren't going there!)

Since my motor already has the coarse threads, from what I've read throughout these HG threads, my motor shouldn't be pulling the bolts from the block. I would imagine head gaskets do fail so could it be nothing more than that? Chris posted in #456 that, since mine has the coarse threads, all that's needed to do is replace the gaskets and put the motor back together with the usual due diligence. Did I paraphrase you correctly Chris? Should I be expecting to stud my engine?

Thanks all for the great reads in the forum!

Gord

#476 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Cracked engine block on 2000 Cadillacs

Add one more 2000 DeVille to the list. Cady dealer here just gave me the bad news. This vehicle has had every ounce of care one could possibly give over these past 13 years. Too much to list. Engine crankcase seals, head gasket mod and a lot more. Regular Cadillac service all along. 120,000 miles. P0741 by itself for the last 1.5 years and 20,000 miles with only a few mpg loss to show for it. Super clean car.

Oh well. It was my dad's car and was given me upon his death 3 years ago. Not sure what to do with it? Any suggestions?

Moderator EDIT: wingman64, You need to enter your car data in the poll - only the originating member can update the averages.

#480 ·
Re: Cracked engine block on 2000 Cadillacs

Hey Guys,

Add my 2000 DeVille to the Cracked Engine Block list. Confirmed today after removing the passenger side engine to trans axle support bracket. Cracked at # 3 cylinder area. Bye-Bye my beloved DeVille. At least its going to a great home, my brother in law is a GM mechanic. He's going to swap the engine/trans (P0741) and this immaculate vehicle will once again grace the road. All the very best to you all. Signing off ......

#481 ·
Re: Northstar head gasket failures

I have a beautifully kept classy red 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC with just 73,000+ miles on it now sitting in a bay at a local dealership with a blown headgasket. I'm sick. Thousands of dollars of new parts on this car just in the last year. It's been my pride and joy since 1998, but sadly I think it's time to let 'er go.

#482 ·
Hi all:

This continuing thread looks like a good place to post my head gasket problem and repair, which has been recently completed. I have a 99 Deville that has been in the
family since new. At 165,000 the aft head started leaking. We decided to have it fixed. The problem was where and whom. Forget the dealer, I wanted someone with
specific knowledge, experience, and affordable price. After much searching I decided on a place in Youngstown, Ohio, by the name of Davis auto repair, AKA The Cadillac Doctor. The main reason was that I was driving from St. Louis to Cleveland for Christmas, and his place is close to where my family lives.

I contacted him in November and he said he could take care of it. We drove up there, stopping every now and then to add coolant. Thank goodness for the cold temps
on the drive up there. Dale Davis is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He is also very trusting. He had me drop off the car at his house on a Sunday, so they could start on it early on Monday. I decided to get a rebuilt engine at the last minute. Dale didn't have any rebuilts available, so he rebuilt mine. Dale and his guys worked overtime the week of Christmas to rebuild my engine and have me and my family on our way the next weekend.

For anyone considering the headgasket repair or a rebuilt, I highly recommend Dale, It will be worth your drive!

We look forward to many more miles in the Caddy.

N3870V

#483 ·
I'll add mine here and fill out the poll too. I have a pristine 2002 DHS purchased used. Caddy entered the early stages of HG failure January 2014 at 88K. Car is fixed and back home as of a week ago running like new. Motor was removed, re gasketed top to bottom, new timing set, rebuilt the heads and all 20 bolt holes were repaired using NS300L's. An engine machine shop specializing in Northstars did mine. No more nuisance oil leaks/smells either. Love my Caddy!

#484 ·
I already answered the poll for my 1998 Deville (which blew HGs around 94k miles), but I'd like to add that my dad's 2004 deville also blew head gaskets! This is very rare and it shocked both me and him, and as the poll shows 0 people have had a 2004 HG issues. Granted his car is around 188k but still. Very surpring for a N* made during that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.