Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

294K views 546 replies 243 participants last post by  ihc70 
#1 ·
Here is the Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread. Please choose your year of Cadillac and state if you have had a headgasket problem with your Seville or Eldorado and what mileage it occured at. If you have never had a problem please do not participate in the poll!

#198 ·
My 94 Seville STS began to go at around 143k miles.
I drove it until 232k miles. The only reason that I had to park it was because of the crossover gaskets failing (I think). Water was pouring from that side of the engine. The engine was still strong and ran smoothly and it did not smoke or run rough unless it was in limp home mode which happened a couple of times. I used to keep gallons of water and coolant in the trunk. Whenever it got hot I would pull over and wait a few minutes then fill it up and off I went.
I also used a lot of the Bars Leak powder. I would still race cars off the line while looking in the rear view at the steady stream of coolant pouring out.
I COULD NOT KILL THIS CAR. Beleive me, I tried. I would feed it more tap water and it would be fine for 50-100 miles. I estimate that the engine temperature exceeded 260 degrees and overheated two hundred + times. I still have it but have never had the time to fix it. The body and interior are in better condition than my 97 STS. It is at 162k miles with no engine problems.

#201 ·
So you are saying you drove 90k miles on a blown HG??!

#202 ·
Yes, my 94 STS went approximately 90,000 miles with a partially blown head gasket.
I left out the worst part of my Northstar blown hg/pulled head bolt story.
At around 141k miles the crankshaft got screwed up due to oil starvation caused by a piece of a gasket that got sucked up against the screen where the oil leaves the oil pan. This happened before I became a student of Bobinski the Northstar Guru. So when the engine was out I had no idea to tell my mechanic that we needed to Timesert the engine even though I had not experienced any problems with the cooling system. The overheating began shortly after crankshaft repair. This was my mechanics first and last Northstar.

Kelly
94 STS 232k miles
97 STS 162k miles

#203 ·
My 98 Deville developed head gasket problems at 81k miles. I found Number one cylinder leaking when I pressurized it with 100 psi air. The rear head bolts were a bit looser than the front, so I can assume that the threads were pulling. Timeserted the block, have about 1k miles on it so far with no problems. I did the entire job in the car, see my post under Northstar topics for pics.

#204 ·
1997 Cadillac Deville d'Elegance
180,000 - just this week diagnosed with the DREADED HEAD GASKET LEAK,
which may have been going on for some time now.

Over past year, I've had to keep topping off the coolant; and have had some external leaks - I've essentially had the entire cooling system replaced; water heater, radiator, heater hoses, radiator cap, overflow tank, thermostat and couplings, etc., etc.

Last weekend, the car overheated; first I got the 'check coolant level' notice - checked the coolant temp, which was 248. I immediately stopped, let it cool, then limped the car back to the repair shop I have been using. While limping back I got the 'engine overheated', 'idle engine', 'stop engine', and 'change engine oil' lights come on.

There are leaking seals at both ends of the metal tube that runs the coolant through the engine. The mechanic (and as far as I know, this is the FIRST TIME anyone did this test) - did find exhaust fumes in the coolant tank, indicating the DREADED HEAD GASKET LEAK. The dealership has also since confirmed these findings.

The repair will be about $3,000; and I have decided not to do it. I'll be buying a replacement car.

#208 ·
Anyone junking one over a head gasket, let me know, I would like to get one to explore a LS1 swap....

#209 ·
Had my 99 deville crap out with 127000 miles...it is in the shop as we speak getting put back together. Former GM Tech doing the work and said that these engines do this due to cadillac using a smaller head bolt since 94-95. He said GM knew about this problem during their test prototype northstars back as late as 87.

#210 ·
I agree that the older n*'s aren't around to vote anymore.
We're probably all but extinct now. :ill:
Anyways, '94 STS. 135k. No problems yet (knocks on wood).
Not to say that this car hasn't had it's problems (it has) but no
HG yet or signs as I can tell. After Reading this thread I'm shakin in my boots though. I love to trade it off for a Challenger but cash flow is quite limited.
Quite the sticky situation.

#213 ·
Where the hell have ya been? Yes it was noticed you were missing. I was trying to figure out how we could start an additional poll to show all of the cadillacowner's forum members who own/owned a N* before they moved on to state if they've had a HG issue or not. How do we let all of the lounges know?:annoyed::ill::crying2::yup:

#215 ·
My failure was a 96 block, it was pressurizing the coolant system very badly and overheating as well.

It got enough coolant in the crankcase that I spun bearings taking off from a stop light. Wierd thing was the oil never ever looked milky but when I drained it there was about a quart or so of dex in there then oil.

I have a feeling it lifted the head because all the motor seen was WOT racing. It had about 15xxx on the fresh rebuild.

Here I come headstud kit!!!

#217 ·
I am in need of some help!!!

My 99 STS has just started to overheat. Had a new thermostat installed and the car overheated again. Local mechanic confirmed a "head gasket issue."

2 CADILLAC DEALERSHIPS REFUSED TO SERVICE THE CAR!

I am in college so I don't have access to loads of cash; however, the car only has 117k so I don't want to junk it. Does anyone have any advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.