Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know - Page 23
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Voters
741. You may not vote on this poll

18 2.43%

38 5.13%

13 1.75%

39 5.26%

148 19.97%

165 22.27%

167 22.54%

76 10.26%

52 7.02%

38 5.13%

14 1.89%

0 0%

3 0.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Bradford, PA IIRC drivers bolster and trim on seat is torn/broke and i had some rubbing alcohol spill in the ...
    fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

Bradford, PA

IIRC drivers bolster and trim on seat is torn/broke and i had some rubbing alcohol spill in the back seat while bowling. this made a nasty spot on the rear seat. missing 2 center caps from stock rims, it's tan interior so it's worn/shows EVERYTHING. 2 minor MINOR (can't see them unless in the sun) "waves" or "dents" in drivers front fender. those are so minor i don't even notice them. it does have a dent in the roof above the windshield drivers side from a baseball. a kid almost died that day. typical carpet wear for 14 years old. drivers side window switch block replaced as well (that little TSB pissed me off). And the dome light panel clip proke so it hangs down from the headliner in the front. It's the dark red/maroon/whatever exterior. a couple small spots starting to form on trunk lid. otherwise in good shape. it was used for driving anywhere and everywhere over 4 years. used to drive an hour each way to work, then to pittsburgh and back, long island and back, etc. didn't care so much about the looks as i did the function.

will send pics this weekend. in all honesty if someone brought 500 in CASH i'd tell them to load it up and i'd sign the title over. i just want it gone. lol.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I will talk to him, problem is distance, I have a truck that can tow it, just need to rent a trailer and gas/food $ and I can go.

Is trans solid?

Need to find out diff on a 99 SLS engine to a 97 Deville engine...

trans is very solid. installed April this year. had allegedly around 50k on it when installed but it came used from the Shop's source so no clue. if car is repaired it still has the balance of the 12mo 12k warranty on it. No issues with shifts, fluid consumption, color, etc. In all aspects it's basically perfect.

i can tell you rockford is basically about 8-10hrs depending on traffic and route taken. tolls are a bastard. about 20-25 each way IIRC. i drove RIGHT THROUGH your area on the 14th of august. too bad i didn't know then....woulda brought a truck and dropped it off for a fee. haha

VanDamage007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Eldorado, Custom body kit, 20" rims, super system........

Mine happened just after I bought it from the original owner. 68 to 70,000 miles. Cost me nearly $3000.00. No dissapearing coolant but Ive ony got 77,*** on it now. Scared to death of it happening again. Should I still be using the orange coolant or should I change it???

Thanks!

stoneface1959 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 seville sts 114000 mi

Bought 2002 sts at goverment auction they lied, has hg problem i already paid for it, had it shipped from port st lucie florida when it got to me in NY had to put coolant in the car blew white smoke within minutes whats that tell someone
    i got reamed from the gov again.

for those that expressed interest in my car i can verify it still runs and moves well under it's own power. this will allow you to load it on to a trailer. I will have pics from my droid finally available tomorrow (weather permitting). Needs HG but has newer trans and other parts. 140k miles give or take on chassis. would make good parts car or cheap repair. PM/See Classified for more in depth description.

wachuku is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Seville STS

'97 Seville STS. 150K headgasket failure.

Bought from Cadi dealer when the car had ~85K and reportedly it had already been timeserted at Cadi dealer.

Pete1996 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Re: Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread

1996 STS Began coolant consumption at about 120K miles, HG failure at 162K miles

97 Seville SLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

97 Seville SLS -- headgasket failure at 94k. Not sure what to do with it. Have a Cadillac mechanic that will fix it for $2,500 - $3,000, but the car obviously isn't worth much more than the repair bill with the bad resale value they have. Is there any market for these things that need headgasket repair? About ready to scrap it and move on.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Friend of mine has a rear ended 99 SLS that has a fresh low miles N* that was swapped in. It is up for sale, if anyone is interested, let me know. Get whole car for fraction of cost of repair...

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

Quote Originally Posted by 97 Seville SLS View Post
    97 Seville SLS -- headgasket failure at 94k. Not sure what to do with it. Have a Cadillac mechanic that will fix it for $2,500 - $3,000, but the car obviously isn't worth much more than the repair bill with the bad resale value they have. Is there any market for these things that need headgasket repair? About ready to scrap it and move on.
    What does the $2500 buy? Jakes Stud kit?
    If its done right couldn't the car see 300k miles? Whatís that worth?
    Seems to me the value would be a no brainer. A dollar saved is a dollar earned and itís tax-free.
    Iíve got a 94 Concorse with the 300hp N*. Iíve been sitting on it for two years now. I plan to to Jake stud it, but other things seem to get in the way.
    Its also a low miler one owner car and is mint through out. Absoulty beautful automobile. The leak is small and is in the forward head. Its starts and runs enough to baby around the neighborhood, to the store and stuff, so its not my daly driver.
    I figure, a lot of these cars are being crushed at this very moment and when there all goneÖever heard of the Edsel?

foxjohnc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille present, '99 DeVille past

Quote Originally Posted by 97 Seville SLS View Post
    Where are you located and how much do you want for the car. Im looking for a northstar powered car to fix for the wife to drive.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

2001 120k. Very slowly loses coolant. Failed block test. Not yet overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    What does the $2500 buy? Jakes Stud kit?
    If its done right couldn't the car see 300k miles? Whatís that worth?
    Seems to me the value would be a no brainer. A dollar saved is a dollar earned and itís tax-free.
    Iíve got a 94 Concorse with the 300hp N*. Iíve been sitting on it for two years now. I plan to to Jake stud it, but other things seem to get in the way.
    Its also a low miler one owner car and is mint through out. Absoulty beautful automobile. The leak is small and is in the forward head. Its starts and runs enough to baby around the neighborhood, to the store and stuff, so its not my daly driver.
    I figure, a lot of these cars are being crushed at this very moment and when there all goneÖever heard of the Edsel?
    Mechanic quoted $2,500 - $3,000 and that includes: stud kit, all labor, and he will replace anything under the hood I want for the cost of the parts while the engine is out -- no additional labor. I have 4 cars including the Seville, so I don't have to rush into fixing it. Probably worth it to fix, but I don't have the money right now.

Quote Originally Posted by foxjohnc View Post
    Where are you located and how much do you want for the car. Im looking for a northstar powered car to fix for the wife to drive.
    foxjohnc

I am located in Cincinnati, OH. Here is some info on the car:

1997 Seville SLS
    94,xxx miles
    Red with Tan Interior
    I lose some coolant through the exhaust, but the head gasket isn't that bad yet
    Is exhaust present in the coolant tank -- no coolant in the oil
    Still runs great except for idling rough in cold weather
    Driver's window motor is bad -- needs replaced
    Otherwise very clean and still a very nice ride

Not sure what it's worth, but feel free to make me an offer:

stag302 at yahoo dot com
    513 201 7151

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.