Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know - Page 22
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Voters
758. You may not vote on this poll

18 2.37%

38 5.01%

13 1.72%

40 5.28%

152 20.05%

167 22.03%

170 22.43%

81 10.69%

56 7.39%

41 5.41%

14 1.85%

0 0%

3 0.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just snooping around and discovered that scottio seems to have posted 4 times in different years of engine poll but ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

Just snooping around and discovered that scottio seems to have posted 4 times in different years of engine poll but actually only has (had) a 2003.

That contaminates the poll right there.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

We just had a 2005 Deville at work that got the headgaskets done

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Just snooping around and discovered that scottio seems to have posted 4 times in different years of engine poll but actually only has (had) a 2003.

That contaminates the poll right there.
    I had 2 different '97 N* engine's head gaskets fail, but the poll only let me vote once.

luvoldcaddybuthate03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '79 coupedeville, '79 sedandeville '03 deville POS

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    That's not too encouraging - fairly new car with fairly low mileage, manufactured with the "improved casting methods" and longer head bolt design, and maybe with the coarser thread design implemented in mid M.Y. 2003
    "thats not too encouraging".... try downright disscusting!!! stupid design... no studs for head torque??? just bolts!!!! new engine going in tomorrow. let everyone know how that disaster in waiting will go! peace

trublu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

99 STS, 150K blown HG! Preparing to have Mike Lawson fix it!

jrwoods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 SEVILLE

I know this thread is for people with HG failure, but i thought i'd chime in with some good news. I probably have the highest mileage 2004 so it may be relevant to this discussion. My SLS has 123,000 miles with no signs of HG failure. I drive her pretty hard and am very happy with performance and fuel economy. For people concerned about buying a northstar cadillac because of the HG issue, you may want to look for a 2004+ edition since these engines have the improved designs that may have corrected the HG high failure rate.

Of course, i have now jinxed myself and will keep you updated on the status of my 2004. Knock on wood i get another 123k out of her.

dcsj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

I'll post this for a buddy of mine (not a forum member) who just had HG failure (99 DeVille W/123K)

Doug99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville Crimson Pearl w/ Black Top

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo1953 View Post
    Here is the Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread. Please choose your year of Cadillac and state if you have had a headgasket problem with your Seville or Eldorado and what mileage it occured at. If you have never had a problem please do not participate in the poll!
    Junked my 98 deville at 240,000 miles because of head gasket failure and bought a 99 deville to replace it with 105,000 miles

lex97sls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

Cool re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

97 Seville SLS 145k Time-Serted both heads myself in Garage over the last week ans a half!
    BTW I am selling my TIME-SERT J-42385-2000 Northstar Kit for $299 since I don;t need it anymore!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Head Gasket Failure on 1997 Eldorado ETC, purchased with bad HG, i'm stubborn but i'm in love with it. it currently has 128284mi. Going to do the job myself.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Friend of mine has a 99 SLS that someone rear ended him, and he just put another N* in as his original engine had a blown gasket.... I can see if he will be parting it or not or sell outright. Still driving it everyday till he gets a new ride....
    Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Head Gasket Failure on 1997 Eldorado ETC, purchased with bad HG, i'm stubborn but i'm in love with it. it currently has 128284mi. Going to do the job myself.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

1997. ~140k miles (purchased with ~69k) - puked them over the 4th of july weekend. slow overheat problems. replaced EVERYTHING but the gaskets. then it ate about 6 gallons of coolant over a 15 mile drive one day. yeah. time for gaskets.

i am not doing this repair. car is up for sale. do not have the time, patience, motivation, or facilities.

How much? friend of mine has opposite, already replaced engine in a 99 SLS and then got rear ended a few months later, car is totaled, but still driveable.
    Quote Originally Posted by fubar569 View Post
    1997. ~140k miles (purchased with ~69k) - puked them over the 4th of july weekend. slow overheat problems. replaced EVERYTHING but the gaskets. then it ate about 6 gallons of coolant over a 15 mile drive one day. yeah. time for gaskets.

i am not doing this repair. car is up for sale. do not have the time, patience, motivation, or facilities.

fubar569 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 82 fleetwood - 97 deville

its not in the greatest of shape interior-wise. heat warp and 14 years of use. Couple other issues (exhaust, ghetto horn button, rear shocks)...

really how much? $750 - it's probably worth double that in parts at a minimum. it still drives. just a mile at a time. so if anyone brought a trailer you could just drive it on and be done.

exact details (to best of current knowledge) are in my classifieds ad on these boards in the deville section.

I'll be pulling the car out of storage this weekend to verify the status and take a couple pics

Where are you located? I will let him know. Def send pictures, n0dih at att dot net. Now the question, will a 99 engine work fine in a 97?
    Quote Originally Posted by fubar569 View Post
    its not in the greatest of shape interior-wise. heat warp and 14 years of use. Couple other issues (exhaust, ghetto horn button, rear shocks)...

really how much? $750 - it's probably worth double that in parts at a minimum. it still drives. just a mile at a time. so if anyone brought a trailer you could just drive it on and be done.

exact details (to best of current knowledge) are in my classifieds ad on these boards in the deville section.

I'll be pulling the car out of storage this weekend to verify the status and take a couple pics

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.