Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know - Page 20
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Voters
762. You may not vote on this poll

18 2.36%

38 4.99%

13 1.71%

40 5.25%

152 19.95%

168 22.05%

171 22.44%

81 10.63%

57 7.48%

42 5.51%

14 1.84%

1 0.13%

4 0.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1996 Cadillac Deville blown head gasket 114,125 miles. I'm going to repair it, I have GM mechanic who will do ...
    CyekiM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville

re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

1996 Cadillac Deville blown head gasket 114,125 miles. I'm going to repair it, I have GM mechanic who will do it for $2,700.00

CyekiM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by robertcopeland69 View Post
    96 deville with 252,000 miles.had 129,000 when i got it.i havent had a headgasket failure.could have been replaced before i got it though.
    Oh I envy you. I have a 1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille also, it is absolutely beautiful, showroom condition in side and out and loaded! However, mine needs Headgaskets at 114,000.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

1998 Deville Concours - 400,011 km's / ~250,000 miles does NOT use antifreeze, does NOT overheat or run hot. Tested for around 400km's city and 400 km's of 401 driving (80-160 km/h) still lotsa power. Unfortunatly, car has been retired

turboguy52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

1999 CAD DEVILLE 115,000 one blown head gasket front i am mechanically inclined and plan on fixing it my self this spring I love a good challange!!!!!may be crazy but what do i have to loose?????

GoFish is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V; 2000 STS

2000 STS 130K No problems so far

jsiddall is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 SRX V8 AWD Sport, 06 STS V8, 05 SRX V8 AWD

I did this job about 5 years ago. Here's a summary of the task:

http://jeff.siddall.name/northstar_h...ket/index.html

Not for the faint hearted, but 30k miles later it is still running great. IIRC The whole thing took three or four long days with two people working on it. Certainly having previous experience doing this job would have reduced the time required, but it is a huge job no matter who you are. I would plan for a full week if you want to do this single-handed.

trublu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

My 99 STS, head gasket problems at the 150K mark. Trying to decide now if its worth fixing, or selling!

mfx007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

1999 Deville with 150K with no known head gasket problem. Bought at 90K and always used a QT of oil every 800-1000 miles. Hit a deer and totaled it.

Bought a 1998 Deville with 118K on it. Dreaded P0741 after a few hundred miles. Fixed converter clutch and a two burned clutches for $2300. When I bought it, the dealer said fixed a misfire on cylinder 5 and 7 by replacing just those plugs. I could feel a small miss. Felt just like the problem I fixed after changing wires on my '99. Took a chance - this times the wires did not help at all. Just today I see it dumped a fair amount of coolant on the floor. Have not crawled under it yet, but does not look to be from an area where it could be from a hose. Misfire has gotten worse the last few weeks and dumped coolant - does not look good.

Hmmm. I see from a receipt in the glove box that the prior owner changed the trans fluid and coolant just before selling.

If is the gasket will be looking for an experienced shop in the Minneapolis, MN area. Or maybe just get rid of it. Maybe the expensive tranny is worth something?

mfx007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Had to get a mirror. It appears that the leak is from the water pump. I think it is on the drives side run by it's own belt. Wet underneath. With the car running water dripping right out of some sort of split in the case.

Still concerned about my mis-fire and have been paranoid about an apparent excess steam from the exhaust - but maybe paranoid. Sorry - discussion not for the link except still paranoid

roym01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS, 1987 Vette Rag, 2005 X5

My 99 STS with 100K miles on it is at Jake's shop as I converse electronically.

I've had it for 5 years, bought it with 60K miles on it. Runs great. CHECK COOLANT LEVEL appeared about a month ago for the very first time. Added coolant then o.k. for a week until same message appeared. Added more coolant and same thing repeated. After adding the third time with no visible coolant loss I pretty much knew it was a HG issue. Combustion gas test confirmed it.

The car has never over-heated while under my ownership, even during this last month of driving with coolant loss. No white smoke either. Car performed as normal. The only sign was a very faint smell of coolant in the car upon start-up and a little miss, also at start-up. Once fired up for a couple of minutes, mis-fire goes way as does coolant smell.

I anxiously await the return of my pearl white beauty from Northstar Performance. I will gladly keep those interested updated with my personal experience with Northstar Performance and their stud solution (although I don't think Jake needs any more positive PR. I found it in abundance on this and other forums thus the reason for choosing Northstar Performance to fix my problem).

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

My 2000 SLS with 143 on it now
    after reading some more posts i actualy do remember about 5 months ago my check Coolant Level Msg came on i put about a half gallon to a gallon of coolant in the MSG went away didn't think about checking it again
    and then 5 months latter engines start to heat up to like 245 at times but thenm back down to 190-200 where it should be
    the last few days its been running like 200-210 and soemtiems it will get up to 245 and then right back down to 200 with in a second
    but coolant level is just fine
    wondering where is the coolant go where did it go for it to tell me to check coolant level

i have white smoke comming out first thing when i first start it up but once its warmed up the smoke goes away

waiting for the weekend after easter to come
    heaidng up to Jakes with it on the 10th and gona stay in town at a hotel for 2 days he said he should have it back to me by monday wich i hope

Roym so how is your baby after jakes stud kit and work
    is it running good again you loving it
    please let me know what you ended up spending did you stay near by at a hotel wich one did you pick

PupFromCleveland,

Car not back yet due to stud shortage thus can't comment on cost/satisfaction. Supposed to be ready tomorrow. Since I live just outside of Toronto I had my car towed to Jake's and will pick up when ready.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by roym01 View Post
    PupFromCleveland,

Car not back yet due to stud shortage thus can't comment on cost/satisfaction. Supposed to be ready tomorrow. Since I live just outside of Toronto I had my car towed to Jake's and will pick up when ready.
    ah cool cool thanks for the info
    i hope he doenst have astud shortage when i get there hope he has all that he needs cause im not gona be able to stay there more then 2 nites already breaking the bank with that yikes

........ still waiting.

jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

2000 DHS 280,000 miles getting ready to swap in one of Jake's engines d/t the high mileage but blew head gasket on Monday, confirmed by block test. Any body know a reputable source of reliable rebuilt transmissions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.