Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know - Page 19
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Voters
762. You may not vote on this poll

18 2.36%

38 4.99%

13 1.71%

40 5.25%

152 19.95%

168 22.05%

171 22.44%

81 10.63%

57 7.48%

42 5.51%

14 1.84%

1 0.13%

4 0.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; '98 Deville with 107k- HG were blown before I purchased car but I was not told that but I found ...
    Big Pip is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '72 Coupe DeVille

re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

'98 Deville with 107k-
    HG were blown before I purchased car but I was not told that but I found out 3 days later!
    Dealer is dropping motor and installing a Stud Kit. They were originally going to just replace the HG's with the motor in the car but then he realized that this car was a '98 and not a '93 (I have no idea where he got the impression it was a '93) and notified me that the repair on this car is to instal the Stud Kit which requires dropping the engine. I am not going to argue because 1st) I wanted the stud kit installed anyways and 2nd) I sure as hell wouldn't want to drill into the rear side of the motor with the firewall right there!

I was told they would be done on Monday 10/26. God I hope so, I haven't even driven this car 100 miles yet!

mangotel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1997 ElDordo - 235k miles
    I've been told it isn't fixable. The headbolts will pull out if torqued back to spec during the headgasket repair attempt.

Is this true?

Is Cadillac saying anything about this?

What options do you recommend?

mangotel

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by mangotel View Post
    1997 ElDordo - 235k miles
    I've been told it isn't fixable. The headbolts will pull out if torqued back to spec during the headgasket repair attempt.

Is this true?

Is Cadillac saying anything about this?

What options do you recommend?

mangotel

It is fixable... you have to repair all 20 holes in the block with either...

Studs http://Northstarperformance.com

Norm's Inserts

Timeserts

I would recommend either the Studs or Norms Inserts... Timeserts are not as strong of a repair. Expect to pay $2000-$2500... most dealers will charge $3500-$4500 and use Timeserts. If you have any more questions I would recommend starting a new thread in the N* section of the board.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I see 97, 98, 99 are still increasing since I last visited this thread.

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

My 95 Eldo is still all original, runs great.

68Futura is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville SLS

My 98 sls made it just over 107k miles. Although I haven't had the coolant tested yet, the temp gauge is bobbing up and down. a sure sign from what I here, but i'll look into it more before I jump to conclusions... Looking at a wrecked 03 sls w/80k to fix up with parts from my 98. I see from the pole that the engines got better after 2000, but that could partially be just cuz they haven't had as much time to fail yet. Anyone else think this may be the case? or did GM in fact greatly improve these engines?

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
    My 95 Eldo is still all original, runs great.
    Ditto clarkz. How it going? I've been gone for awhile but it's still good to hear from you guys. My transmission sensor is almost gone but the Eldo is still going.

whitesls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS

My 1997 Seville SLS had the head gasket/pulled bolts problem around 50k miles. The dealer replaced the gasket and "repaired" the pulled bolts which lasted about 8 months before it went bad again. Then one final try at an independent mechanic shop and lasted about 1 month.
    It now sits parked in the garage....a beautiful piece of art to admire. It still starts with a perfect body and everything functions...except the engine blows smoke so it is not drivable on the road. Sad sad sad.....See this link for a video of car as I pulled it outside for pictures: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvNjqVtSj4"]YouTube- 1997 Cadillac SLS[/ame]

Has anyone heard about the quality of engines at northstarperformance.com?

I am in northern california and am tempted to use their rebuilt engine (reasonable price at $2600) and find a quality experience northstar engine installer in my area to install the engine.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by whitesls View Post
    Has anyone heard about the quality of engines at northstarperformance.com?

I am in northern california and am tempted to use their rebuilt engine (reasonable price at $2600) and find a quality experience northstar engine installer in my area to install the engine.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.
    Everything would indicate that Jake is a real stand-up guy - there is no one more reliable that I know of.

olsonscottm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

1998 Deville, 130,800 miles. Repaired September 2009 in my garage for $800.00 (stud kit, various gaskets, battery, coolant, etc) now have 137,500 miles on it and not a lick of trouble.

Scott
    Palmer, AK

Thanks for the replies! I am in the process of ordeing the engine and look forward to having it installed soon. Cheers!

Mark Shulaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

Unhappy re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

Hello, I am a tenderfoot with a Cadillac. I finally got my first one this August. Always have wanted a Caddy and finally was able to go with a nice clean second owner granny driven (I know the last owner and she really is a granny) 1997 DeVille w/Northstar. LOVE the car, but Now I am wishing I had done more homework before buying. She did not have any trouble with it but only drove it around town and the area and the local mechanic took care of it once a month for her and only occasionally added a bit of fluid in the last year. I found this site while looking for some hope for the engine. Every one is telling me to junk it don't dump good money after bad. It had 69,000 then and now it has 75,000 and its been steadily using more and more DexCool and overheating. Went through the usual checks, no cloud out the tail pipes no coolant in the oil. Changed rad, pump and thermostat. Temps run some better but still overheats and looses coolant. Last week I caught it dumping it out the overflow tube. finally checked for gasses in the cooling system and got a posititive for carbon monoxide. Should I dump a minimum of another $2000. in this car or cut my losses and run from my nightmare. Guess theres no real way to tell till the engines down to see if its a gasket, bolts, head or block?. From what I see here these engines can be a night mare. Dissapointed first time Caddy owner. Mark

olsonscottm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mark,

I have a '98 Deville and abolutely love the car! Well worth the $800.00 in parts and my labor to fix the head gaskets.

If you don't want to (or can't) fix the head gasket yourself, I'm not sure it's economically worth it to keep it. I like to tinker with things anyway, so while it was an inconvenience, I enjoyed pulling the engine, taking the heads off, drilling and tapping the block etc.

Then again, I bought mine suspecting bad head gaskets (hoping for the best, however) for real cheap, so I'm into my Caddy for less than $4K, all repaired.

The only other problem I've had is the turn signal self cancel spring broke and I had to take the steering wheel off to replace it. I highly recommend getting a copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) to help with things.

I get to drive my Caddy about 100 miles a day for my commute, and it just doesn't get better than this (alright, heated seats would be nice). I get upper 20's for mileage door to door, and just north of 30 on the highway.

Feel free to post more questions etc. I think if you do fix it, you'll be very happy.

Scott
    1998 Deville
    Palmer, AK

bross765 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mines a 98, perfect in every other way. Don't know if its worth fixing. It makes me sick.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.