Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Voters
757. You may not vote on this poll

18 2.38%

38 5.02%

13 1.72%

40 5.28%

151 19.95%

167 22.06%

170 22.46%

81 10.70%

56 7.40%

41 5.42%

14 1.85%

0 0%

3 0.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Bump....
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

Bump.

70torino429 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 seville sts

my 96 seville sts had them go at 79,000 miles, a shame such a nice car and it still looks gorgeous

Dead STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Deville - 280k miles. 94 STS - 232k miles. (Blown)

My 94 Seville STS began to go at around 143k miles.
    I drove it until 232k miles. The only reason that I had to park it was because of the crossover gaskets failing (I think). Water was pouring from that side of the engine. The engine was still strong and ran smoothly and it did not smoke or run rough unless it was in limp home mode which happened a couple of times. I used to keep gallons of water and coolant in the trunk. Whenever it got hot I would pull over and wait a few minutes then fill it up and off I went.
    I also used a lot of the Bars Leak powder. I would still race cars off the line while looking in the rear view at the steady stream of coolant pouring out.
    I COULD NOT KILL THIS CAR. Beleive me, I tried. I would feed it more tap water and it would be fine for 50-100 miles. I estimate that the engine temperature exceeded 260 degrees and overheated two hundred + times. I still have it but have never had the time to fix it. The body and interior are in better condition than my 97 STS. It is at 162k miles with no engine problems.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Damn......drop the cradle, overhaul the top end, do an ECM mild tune, and drive it forever. Use Jake's head studs......it will never leak again. The car's worth the work..............

allgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX FWD Gray Flannel / Ebony Premium 3.0 Chrome Techs

[/SIZE]1998 ELDORADO ETC 144,000 miles

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by Dead STS View Post
    My 94 Seville STS began to go at around 143k miles.
    I drove it until 232k miles. The only reason that I had to park it was because of the crossover gaskets failing (I think). Water was pouring from that side of the engine. The engine was still strong and ran smoothly and it did not smoke or run rough unless it was in limp home mode which happened a couple of times. I used to keep gallons of water and coolant in the trunk. Whenever it got hot I would pull over and wait a few minutes then fill it up and off I went.
    I also used a lot of the Bars Leak powder. I would still race cars off the line while looking in the rear view at the steady stream of coolant pouring out.
    I COULD NOT KILL THIS CAR. Beleive me, I tried. I would feed it more tap water and it would be fine for 50-100 miles. I estimate that the engine temperature exceeded 260 degrees and overheated two hundred + times. I still have it but have never had the time to fix it. The body and interior are in better condition than my 97 STS. It is at 162k miles with no engine problems.
    So you are saying you drove 90k miles on a blown HG??!

Dead STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Deville - 280k miles. 94 STS - 232k miles. (Blown)

Yes, my 94 STS went approximately 90,000 miles with a partially blown head gasket.
    I left out the worst part of my Northstar blown hg/pulled head bolt story.
    At around 141k miles the crankshaft got screwed up due to oil starvation caused by a piece of a gasket that got sucked up against the screen where the oil leaves the oil pan. This happened before I became a student of Bobinski the Northstar Guru. So when the engine was out I had no idea to tell my mechanic that we needed to Timesert the engine even though I had not experienced any problems with the cooling system. The overheating began shortly after crankshaft repair. This was my mechanics first and last Northstar.

Kelly
    94 STS 232k miles
    97 STS 162k miles

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

My 98 Deville developed head gasket problems at 81k miles. I found Number one cylinder leaking when I pressurized it with 100 psi air. The rear head bolts were a bit looser than the front, so I can assume that the threads were pulling. Timeserted the block, have about 1k miles on it so far with no problems. I did the entire job in the car, see my post under Northstar topics for pics.

pinkbird53 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Deville d'Elegance

1997 Cadillac Deville d'Elegance
    180,000 - just this week diagnosed with the DREADED HEAD GASKET LEAK,
    which may have been going on for some time now.

Over past year, I've had to keep topping off the coolant; and have had some external leaks - I've essentially had the entire cooling system replaced; water heater, radiator, heater hoses, radiator cap, overflow tank, thermostat and couplings, etc., etc.

Last weekend, the car overheated; first I got the 'check coolant level' notice - checked the coolant temp, which was 248. I immediately stopped, let it cool, then limped the car back to the repair shop I have been using. While limping back I got the 'engine overheated', 'idle engine', 'stop engine', and 'change engine oil' lights come on.

There are leaking seals at both ends of the metal tube that runs the coolant through the engine. The mechanic (and as far as I know, this is the FIRST TIME anyone did this test) - did find exhaust fumes in the coolant tank, indicating the DREADED HEAD GASKET LEAK. The dealership has also since confirmed these findings.

The repair will be about $3,000; and I have decided not to do it. I'll be buying a replacement car.

str8bucs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Seville SLS

1998 Seville SLS 86K

mike sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

had a 94 STS first engine went at 55000 miles cracked head, they replaced it under warranty the second engine went 100,000 miles before it was leaking oil, fouling plugs with oil and coolant, coolant leak, not sure if head was cracked probably was junked the car

mgturbo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS

Unhappy re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

1999 STS 71000mi

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Anyone junking one over a head gasket, let me know, I would like to get one to explore a LS1 swap....

mrlacy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville, 06 DTS Performance

Had my 99 deville crap out with 127000 miles...it is in the shop as we speak getting put back together. Former GM Tech doing the work and said that these engines do this due to cadillac using a smaller head bolt since 94-95. He said GM knew about this problem during their test prototype northstars back as late as 87.

Shouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I agree that the older n*'s aren't around to vote anymore.
    We're probably all but extinct now.
    Anyways, '94 STS. 135k. No problems yet (knocks on wood).
    Not to say that this car hasn't had it's problems (it has) but no
    HG yet or signs as I can tell. After Reading this thread I'm shakin in my boots though. I love to trade it off for a Challenger but cash flow is quite limited.
    Quite the sticky situation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.