Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

294K views 546 replies 243 participants last post by  ihc70 
#1 ·
Here is the Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread. Please choose your year of Cadillac and state if you have had a headgasket problem with your Seville or Eldorado and what mileage it occured at. If you have never had a problem please do not participate in the poll!

G
#312 ·
Re: Cracked engine block on 2000 Cadillacs

See attached photos. Hopefully this helps.

I did make a mistake. Joe at Midwest Cadillac Repair has not had three 2000 Cadillacs with cracked blocks out of six. After reviewing his records last night, Joe has had three 2000+ cracked blocks out of seven 2000+ Cadillacs. Within the past couple months, Joe has had the following cars come in with cracked blocks:

1) a 2001 DeVille... ~150k miles, dexcool in it but not full, no freeze damage,leaking out the front, engine oil was ugly maybe because it was sitting, seemed like a neglected car.

2) a 2000 Deville... ~100k miles, dexcool full, no freeze damage, leaking out the back, inside of engine is perfect, has original plugs, overall very clean car.

3) my 2000 Eldorado... ~120k miles, has dexcool almost full, leaking out the back (see photo), overall very clean car. It was very hard to take a clear photo. The length of the crack is unknown.

The above just seems like too great of a coincidence. If Joe is that special, then I need him to choose the PowerBall numbers.

Looking at the blocks from the outside, the pre 2000 blocks appear much beefier than the 2000+ blocks. Yesterday, we used a hammer and smacked the 2001 block at its crack until it broke. See photo. The aluminum block at the point(see screwdriver in photo) it broke away in the photo is only 1/8" think. Yes, only 1/8 of an inch. Then you have about 1/8" of space before the steel sleeve. I am not a metallurgical engineer, I don’t play one on TV, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. But, it doesn't take much to conclude that if you thin out the block and then have an aluminum composition that is "harder" than the previous "softer" aluminum, the end result will not be positive. Maybe it just takes time and enough heat cycles for the 2000+ blocks composition to get fatigued; what if ~ 10 years is the average time, and is the "beginning of the end" of the 2000+ N* blocks? If over the next few years people begin to see more and more of the 2000+ N* blocks with cracks, there will be a definitive answer based on fact and not mere speculation. Understandably, it is very difficult to create a conclusion based on photos and I think this or I think that. We will never have a GM engineer come and explain things as they truly are because to do so would involve liability issues and revealing trade secrets. But, one thing that I can say for 100% certain is that there are three 2000+ N* cracked blocks at my friend’s shop out of 7 2000+ cars (those 7 cars being within the past 6 months total – cracked block cars within 2 months). BTW, that hairline crack on the 2001 appears to be right where the head bolts would end. So, further theorizing could easily point in the direction of... 2000+ N* block's head bolts are holding very well compared to pre 2000, structural integrity is lost in the 2000+ blocks over time (albeit heat cycles or "hardness" of the new aluminum composition), and the combination of the two results in these cracks.

#321 ·
I know this thread is for people with HG failure, but i thought i'd chime in with some good news. I probably have the highest mileage 2004 so it may be relevant to this discussion. My SLS has 123,000 miles with no signs of HG failure. I drive her pretty hard and am very happy with performance and fuel economy. For people concerned about buying a northstar cadillac because of the HG issue, you may want to look for a 2004+ edition since these engines have the improved designs that may have corrected the HG high failure rate.

Of course, i have now jinxed myself and will keep you updated on the status of my 2004. Knock on wood i get another 123k out of her.

#323 ·
Here is the Definitive Northstar Headgasket Thread. Please choose your year of Cadillac and state if you have had a headgasket problem with your Seville or Eldorado and what mileage it occured at. If you have never had a problem please do not participate in the poll!
Junked my 98 deville at 240,000 miles because of head gasket failure and bought a 99 deville to replace it with 105,000 miles

#326 ·
Friend of mine has a 99 SLS that someone rear ended him, and he just put another N* in as his original engine had a blown gasket.... I can see if he will be parting it or not or sell outright. Still driving it everyday till he gets a new ride....

#327 ·
1997. ~140k miles (purchased with ~69k) - puked them over the 4th of july weekend. slow overheat problems. replaced EVERYTHING but the gaskets. then it ate about 6 gallons of coolant over a 15 mile drive one day. yeah. time for gaskets.

i am not doing this repair. car is up for sale. do not have the time, patience, motivation, or facilities.

#328 ·
How much? friend of mine has opposite, already replaced engine in a 99 SLS and then got rear ended a few months later, car is totaled, but still driveable.

#329 ·
its not in the greatest of shape interior-wise. heat warp and 14 years of use. Couple other issues (exhaust, ghetto horn button, rear shocks)...

really how much? $750 - it's probably worth double that in parts at a minimum. it still drives. just a mile at a time. so if anyone brought a trailer you could just drive it on and be done.

exact details (to best of current knowledge) are in my classifieds ad on these boards in the deville section.

I'll be pulling the car out of storage this weekend to verify the status and take a couple pics

#330 ·
Where are you located? I will let him know. Def send pictures, n0dih at att dot net. Now the question, will a 99 engine work fine in a 97?

#331 ·
Bradford, PA

IIRC drivers bolster and trim on seat is torn/broke and i had some rubbing alcohol spill in the back seat while bowling. this made a nasty spot on the rear seat. missing 2 center caps from stock rims, it's tan interior so it's worn/shows EVERYTHING. 2 minor MINOR (can't see them unless in the sun) "waves" or "dents" in drivers front fender. those are so minor i don't even notice them. it does have a dent in the roof above the windshield drivers side from a baseball. a kid almost died that day. typical carpet wear for 14 years old. drivers side window switch block replaced as well (that little TSB pissed me off). And the dome light panel clip proke so it hangs down from the headliner in the front. It's the dark red/maroon/whatever exterior. a couple small spots starting to form on trunk lid. otherwise in good shape. it was used for driving anywhere and everywhere over 4 years. used to drive an hour each way to work, then to pittsburgh and back, long island and back, etc. didn't care so much about the looks as i did the function.

will send pics this weekend. in all honesty if someone brought 500 in CASH i'd tell them to load it up and i'd sign the title over. i just want it gone. lol.

#332 ·
I will talk to him, problem is distance, I have a truck that can tow it, just need to rent a trailer and gas/food $ and I can go.

Is trans solid?

Need to find out diff on a 99 SLS engine to a 97 Deville engine...

#333 ·
trans is very solid. installed April this year. had allegedly around 50k on it when installed but it came used from the Shop's source so no clue. if car is repaired it still has the balance of the 12mo 12k warranty on it. No issues with shifts, fluid consumption, color, etc. In all aspects it's basically perfect.

i can tell you rockford is basically about 8-10hrs depending on traffic and route taken. tolls are a bastard. about 20-25 each way IIRC. i drove RIGHT THROUGH your area on the 14th of august. too bad i didn't know then....woulda brought a truck and dropped it off for a fee. haha

#336 ·
for those that expressed interest in my car i can verify it still runs and moves well under it's own power. this will allow you to load it on to a trailer. I will have pics from my droid finally available tomorrow (weather permitting). Needs HG but has newer trans and other parts. 140k miles give or take on chassis. would make good parts car or cheap repair. PM/See Classified for more in depth description.

#339 ·
97 Seville SLS -- headgasket failure at 94k. Not sure what to do with it. Have a Cadillac mechanic that will fix it for $2,500 - $3,000, but the car obviously isn't worth much more than the repair bill with the bad resale value they have. Is there any market for these things that need headgasket repair? About ready to scrap it and move on.

#341 ·
What does the $2500 buy? Jakes Stud kit?
If its done right couldn't the car see 300k miles? What’s that worth?
Seems to me the value would be a no brainer. A dollar saved is a dollar earned and it’s tax-free.
I’ve got a 94 Concorse with the 300hp N*. I’ve been sitting on it for two years now. I plan to to Jake stud it, but other things seem to get in the way.
Its also a low miler one owner car and is mint through out. Absoulty beautful automobile. The leak is small and is in the forward head. Its starts and runs enough to baby around the neighborhood, to the store and stuff, so its not my daly driver.
I figure, a lot of these cars are being crushed at this very moment and when there all gone…ever heard of the Edsel?

#340 ·
Friend of mine has a rear ended 99 SLS that has a fresh low miles N* that was swapped in. It is up for sale, if anyone is interested, let me know. Get whole car for fraction of cost of repair...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.