Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Select one if you have had a problem with the headgasket the Northstar V8:

Voters
768. You may not vote on this poll

18 2.34%

38 4.95%

13 1.69%

40 5.21%

152 19.79%

169 22.01%

172 22.40%

82 10.68%

57 7.42%

45 5.86%

14 1.82%

1 0.13%

4 0.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; 1999 DeVille Concours in excellent condition with 133K miles...gaskets blown...never overheated to date...exhaust in the coolant resevoir noticed after having ...
    99_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

re: Northstar Headgasket/Cracked Block/Bolt Failure? Please let us know

1999 DeVille Concours in excellent condition with 133K miles...gaskets blown...never overheated to date...exhaust in the coolant resevoir noticed after having to add one gallon twice in 230 miles...after sat a week now observe white billowing 'smoke' and smell out of both exhausts...the car doesn't have a scratch or ding...never wrecked...shines like the day she was new...driver's seat leather a bit worn and the headlight covers are sandblasted and need replaced, also the gas gauge quit (tank unit) but nothing else until the headgaskets...still doesn't overheat. Owned since new and serviced better than scheduled. I wouldn't complain if it was a 'normal' head gasket job as in $500-$1000 but between $4K and $8K+ dependent on route taken? Unbelievable. The northstar and the Seville STS brought back Cadillac and now leaves me and others stranded and frustrated...Nearly $50K new and 133K miles later essentially junk? What gives???

dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Junk to others maybe but junk to you ? A head gasket job should cost between 2-3000 at 4-8000 I am thinking they are wanting to replace the motor ? Did you continue to drive it after you noticed the white smoke ? If so that would definetely kill the motor at least it did on my 99.

TMO
    TMO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

99 DeVille D'Elegance 85K
    $7,000 replaced W\GM Crate engine

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

Sorry about your HGs. Has anyone posted any info on the CTS/CTS-V lounges to let them know about this poll? I'm sure alot of them have upgraded and have not visited the older Caddy lounges. Most of you know that once someone upgrades why would they visite the Seville/Eldo/Deville lounges. We got good information going on about the HG problems so I see no way why it shouldn't flow thoughout the entire forum. Imput please. Thank you.

KrazyK55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

96 Eldorado cream puff 72,000 miles. I drove this car for 5 years with very few minor repairs. I had no problems with loosing coolant or over heating. Then one day on my way home from work it it was running just fine until it started blowing white smoke, the temp shot off the scale and the diagnostics went Krazy so I pulled over immediately and called for a hook to haul it home. I haven't done anything with it yet because I've been having some health issues but plan on fixing it after I retire the end of June. Actually, the engine still runs smooth as silk but after a few minutes it starts blowing white smoke (still runs smooth) and there is coolant coming out the tail pipes so I'm sure it has blown a head gasket or maybe even two.

hondo69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

98 STS HG at 114,000

Kimura-sensei is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville 99

Well folks, I'm #36 on the '99 poll.

99 Deville, 96k miles. Blown HG. Replaced with Prestone Dexcool every 3 yrs to try to avoid this fate...

Currently using it as a local car. To reduce overflow from surge pipe, I rigged an empty antifreeze 1 gal container to catch it and recycle it back in when the engine is cold. Works well to buy me some time to figure out what my options are. It has a 15 mile highway range with no traffic. Or 5-8 miles with traffic.

I'm tempted to fix my baby. Done 90% of the work and maintenance myself. Still looks and runs like a 3yr old car. The only thing wrong with it is just the HG and my front right brake caliper (no sense replacing if I'm gonna junk the car). Don't have the skills, time, and equipment to timesert and fix the block myself.

Anyone know any good mechanics willing do to timesert/norms my baby in NYC/LI area for a good price? Otherwise I'll keep using for local till I'm ready for a trade-in.

AKBanzai is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 STS

98 sts 91,000 miles

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by AKBanzai View Post
    98 sts 91,000 miles

tesla3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

94 pearl Concours. Wifes well maintained car started having heating problems 3 years ago at 90,000 miles and HG let go at 101,000. Bought wife MB and no more problems. Started into N engine this week to see if could salvage something from this mess. Have been driving GM cars for 40 years and Cads for 20 years. GM should be very ashamed, I have learned my lesson. One question I haven't seen answered is why is there no class action on this? Thanks for all the good info everyone.

Richard S is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1999 Deville blew a headgasket about 350 miles from home after almost 1500 miles of a 1850 mile trip done. Drove it home at about 63 MPH and it did not overheat at that speed. Had it into the dealer the next day and three days later it's home again. extensive work done as well as the HG's and time serts. New hoses, heater hoses and bypass hose, new plugs and wires, new belts and maintenance on water pump belt idler, new oil pump (so much sludge in pan that the tech wouldn't trust the old one) new water pump lots of new gaskets and seals. And they did a four wheel alignment since the engine cradle had to be dropped to work on the engine. All this and it only had 92,626 miles on it. At first I was going to trade it ASAP, but decided to keep it now. After looking at how far I drove it in the condition it was in and it never failed, well, that's one really tough engine in my book.

Richard in eastern North Carolina.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Richard, I was wondering where you got your Deville done at? My dealer had one the other day that had a similar problem to yours.

robert copeland is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 sedan deville

my 96 deville has 221,000 and as far as i know it never has had the headgaskets or bolts replaced.i have owned it for the past 91,000 miles.have had it 3 years i guess.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I wonder if it was time certed before you got the car otherwise that's great news.

Richard S is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Richard, I was wondering where you got your Deville done at? My dealer had one the other day that had a similar problem to yours.

ryannel2003

I had the work done at Trent Cadillac/Olds, the same place I bought the car from, and the same place you work. Yes they are expensive, but so far they have been honest and I've never had to take a car back to have the same repair done twice. We have bought two cars from them, and are thinking of getting an Escalade for my wife. So you also live in New Bern? My Deville is pearl white. Could that have been what you noticed? Brian did the work, and other than a couple small details that he has since corrected, I am impressed with him.

Richard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.