Turbo Charged STS Cadillac
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Turbo Charged STS Cadillac in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi all, I'm back, I've been off the boards for a long while due to various reasons. I thought I ...
    MARK99STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Turbo Charged STS Cadillac

Hi all, I'm back,

I've been off the boards for a long while due to various reasons. I thought I would update everyone on my car. I still have her and now she is running great. About a year ago I found out the hard way that the factory rev limiter is a fuel cut, not a spark cut and I fried 2 pistons because it went lean. It had been running great up to that point. Since the motor was toast I decided to rebuild with forged components. The cylinder walls were scored so instead of getting another block and having to time sert it all over again, I got a super deal on a Darton sleeve. I also was advised to do cams. After waiting on all the parts to get back, I finally got it back together about April of this year.

I decided to go with a Holley 950 stand alone engine management system and a stand alone transmission controller from PCS(same company I got the piggyback system from). I now have forged pistons, forged rods, Darton sleeved block and stand alones for engine and tranny. I had to completely retune the fuel map as no one has ever run a stand alone in a stock STS before so I had to start from scratch. To make a long story shorter, the cams screwed me up as I tried for the entire summer season to tune the car to run with the cams and it just wasn't going to happen. I gave up out of frustration and let the car sit for about 2.5 months. I finally decided to put the stock cams back in and we did it without pulling the motor and completely retimed it in the car. Not an easy task. That's why I was so pissed because I new it was going to be a *smurf* to replace cams with the motor in the car.

Anyway.... the cams were put in about 4weeks ago and I completely retuned the car and NOW after being down almost a year, it runs great. The tranny controller is freakin awesome. I can control every aspect of the tranny. Shift points, line pressure, torque converter lock-up,on and on and on. I took it to the track Saturday and with slicks on the front with only 13 lbs in them, I still couldn't hook because the boost came on so strong and it was only about 45 degrees out. I ran a 12.5 sec @ 114mph spinning through most of 1st gear. I have a video to prove it. I destroyed a newer Mercedes AMG. He just couldn't catch me.

All other functions of the car work fine, all guages and instrument cluster. The stock computer is controlling everything else except engine and tranny. Again never been done before, so the experiment has been a huge success. I also have an electronic boost controller with a hi and low setting. I have it at 7psi for street and about 11psi the day I went to the track.

I will post the video as soon as I get it (someone else was filming)

Mark 99 STS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Turbo Charged STS Cadillac

Welcome back !
    Looking forward to seeing the vid
    Great job

boricuacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville SLS, 2002 Deville DTS/ Now with Navigation!

I was wondering what had happen. I am glad you got all the issues worked out. I can't wait to see the video of you openning up a can of whoopass on that mercedes AMG.

David

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by MARK99STS View Post
    Hi all, I'm back,

I've been off the boards for a long while due to various reasons. I thought I would update everyone on my car. I still have her and now she is running great. About a year ago I found out the hard way that the factory rev limiter is a fuel cut, not a spark cut and I fried 2 pistons because it went lean. It had been running great up to that point. Since the motor was toast I decided to rebuild with forged components. The cylinder walls were scored so instead of getting another block and having to time sert it all over again, I got a super deal on a Darton sleeve. I also was advised to do cams. After waiting on all the parts to get back, I finally got it back together about April of this year.

I decided to go with a Holley 950 stand alone engine management system and a stand alone transmission controller from PCS(same company I got the piggyback system from). I now have forged pistons, forged rods, Darton sleeved block and stand alones for engine and tranny. I had to completely retune the fuel map as no one has ever run a stand alone in a stock STS before so I had to start from scratch. To make a long story shorter, the cams screwed me up as I tried for the entire summer season to tune the car to run with the cams and it just wasn't going to happen. I gave up out of frustration and let the car sit for about 2.5 months. I finally decided to put the stock cams back in and we did it without pulling the motor and completely retimed it in the car. Not an easy task. That's why I was so pissed because I new it was going to be a *smurf* to replace cams with the motor in the car.

Anyway.... the cams were put in about 4weeks ago and I completely retuned the car and NOW after being down almost a year, it runs great. The tranny controller is freakin awesome. I can control every aspect of the tranny. Shift points, line pressure, torque converter lock-up,on and on and on. I took it to the track Saturday and with slicks on the front with only 13 lbs in them, I still couldn't hook because the boost came on so strong and it was only about 45 degrees out. I ran a 12.5 sec @ 114mph spinning through most of 1st gear. I have a video to prove it. I destroyed a newer Mercedes AMG. He just couldn't catch me.

All other functions of the car work fine, all guages and instrument cluster. The stock computer is controlling everything else except engine and tranny. Again never been done before, so the experiment has been a huge success. I also have an electronic boost controller with a hi and low setting. I have it at 7psi for street and about 11psi the day I went to the track.

Mark 99 STS

I think I have a race.
    This will be a hard kill.
    I better fix my trans and go looking for mark.

dwight.j.carter is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

Hi all, I'm back,

Mark 99 STS
    Welcome back Mark I am glad your car is running good again. I love the times your putting out that is even faster then the STS-V. I also saw the video you have on youtube of the Golf with the Northstar and it is absolutely hillarious to see that car with that engine in it.

msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Definetley welcome back! Dont be a stranger anymore , hope youre here to stay.....I cant wait to see that video....That stand alone computer sounds interesting, and apparantly you know how to use it...I wonder if it can be used to tune our non-turbo Northeys?........Mmmmmm

STSforfun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hi all, I'm back,

Mark 99 STS
    Hmmm!
    I like this Idea too! How hard was it to do? I'm looking at the haltech unit Its seem's more plug and play than the HOLLEY.
    Also can you spec out where you got your forged piston and stuff to rebuild you engine.
    I got a 95 STS so this sound cool with the three puter.

Hey anyone know what the trigger is for the Cadillacs?

Craig
    Craig

Craig

97Concours1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SG AWD, 1997 Concours Deville (sold)

Can you post a picture of the turbo installation? Was it a kit or custom? I've done some custom turbo systems and was thinking about it on my 97 Deville. Gotta luv positive manifold pressure (boost).

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Video! Video!

YES Video Video!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STSforfun View Post
    Hmmm!
    I like this Idea too! How hard was it to do? I'm looking at the haltech unit Its seem's more plug and play than the HOLLEY.
    Also can you spec out where you got your forged piston and stuff to rebuild you engine.
    I got a 95 STS so this sound cool with the three puter.

Hey anyone know what the trigger is for the Cadillacs?

Craig
    Craig

Craig
    Hey guys,

Please understand that any stand alone engine management system will work. It just depends on how simple or how much money you want to spend. Remember that if yo go this route you will always have a "service engine" light on. And if you do this you HAVE to use a stand alone tranny controller.

Unless you go with the way AJxtcman is talking about with an LS1 computer, but unless I could see proof it would work properly to control the Northstar and 4t80e I wouldn't want to risk blowing the motor. You don't get a second chance if you run really lean with boost.

I am using Arias pistons and Eagle rods.
    I will try to get the video ASAP.

Mark 99STS

STSforfun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Not quiet what I was looking for with the check engine light on.
    Cool on the forged parts. Are they for a cadillac or did you just find matching parts?

Craig

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Hey guys,

Please understand that any stand alone engine management system will work. It just depends on how simple or how much money you want to spend. Remember that if yo go this route you will always have a "service engine" light on. And if you do this you HAVE to use a stand alone tranny controller.

Unless you go with the way AJxtcman is talking about with an LS1 computer, but unless I could see proof it would work properly to control the Northstar and 4t80e I wouldn't want to risk blowing the motor. You don't get a second chance if you run really lean with boost.

I am using Arias pistons and Eagle rods.
    I will try to get the video ASAP.

Mark 99STS
    http://www.supercarsite.net/shelby/series-1/1998

If it makes a big difference, I wouldnt mind the check engine....and depending how much for the two stand alones (pcm and tranny)...I would be interested in where to get them/ how to use them.....thoughts anybody?......

Quote Originally Posted by msta293412 View Post
    If it makes a big difference, I wouldnt mind the check engine....and depending how much for the two stand alones (pcm and tranny)...I would be interested in where to get them/ how to use them.....thoughts anybody?......
    It will cost you about $2100 for both of them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.