Any problems trying 20W-50 in a '97?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Any problems trying 20W-50 in a '97? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently bought a '97 with 80,000 miles. When hot, the "Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure" message comes on at ...
    atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

Any problems trying 20W-50 in a '97?

I recently bought a '97 with 80,000 miles. When hot, the "Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure" message comes on at idle and there is a bit of lifter noise. I don't know what oil it has in there right now, but I would like to try some 20W-50. Any possible problems? I don't expect to start it at temperatures below 50F.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Any problems trying 20W-50 in a '97?

Go to your local industrial lubricant supplier and see if they can find you some 300W steam cylinder oil.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

limoguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 Deville Delegence

wow...lifter noise at 80k? they must have ran it on low oil possibly or oil pump defective?. sorry to hear, i wish i had the solution. I have a 98 deville with 123k....goes like a rocket...knock on wood

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Oil pump problems seem to be very rare. Has the engine been worked on? The oil pump is driven off of the crankshaft dampener. If it is not torqued properly, it can slip and cause an oil pressure problem.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

In answer to your question, Do not, at any time, for any reason, run 20W-50 in a N*. The production tolerances in the engine are not "open" enough to allow heavy duty diesel oil use.

Weights other than 5W-30 and 10W-30 are NOT recommended by GM, or practically every other passenger vehicle manufacturer. Read your owner's manual or download one from this site.

First, I would change the oil and filter, using a top grade 10W-30 and either an ACDelco or WIX filter. Do a couple of WOT runs as explained in many places in these performance threads. Do a ^^^ search. That will probably cure or lessen the idle tick. IF the low pressure at idle warning comes on again, change the oil pressure sending switch which is on the front of the oil filter adaptor. Again, there are several threads concerning this, usually clustered in the summer months.

There are many threads about the successful use of 15W-40 Rotella oil and it was recommended by a GM Powertrain engineer as a possible answer to your type of problem. Do a search on Rotella for more than you ever wanted to know.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

amsoil amsoil amsoil

Castrol is the way for me

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Before you try 20w50, try rotella 15w40, which some people do use...

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You have a mechanical problem. Trying to cover it up with a bandaid is going to make things worse.

The N* doesn't need much oil pressure at idle, but if you're triggering the warning light, you've got a problem. I would definitely try to find out if the previous owner did any work on it.

If not, it sounds like you have an internal oil manifold leak. Underneath the oil pan is a pressurized oil manifold that distributes oil to the various parts of the engine. It is sealed with silicone beads. If some of those silicone seals are damaged, pressurized oil can leak out back into the oil pan. Kind of like "internal bleeding" I guess. I think repair involves engine removal ($$$$)

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillacboy View Post
    amsoil amsoil amsoil

Castrol is the way for me
    Steve would have been all over this one.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    I recently bought a '97 with 80,000 miles. When hot, the "Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure" message comes on at idle and there is a bit of lifter noise. I don't know what oil it has in there right now, but I would like to try some 20W-50. Any possible problems? I don't expect to start it at temperatures below 50F.

I think the prolbem u may have is a bad sensor, as 4 the noise, its either carbon rap & or you are hearing the cam shafts & timing chains, there are 4 cams in the N* & they make a noise that cansound like a slight lifter tick. Change the oil & check the oil pressure sensor, do a WOT.

atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

I changed the oil to 20W-50 as a Cadillac tech suggested as well as an AC oil filter. Engine was quiet after a short drive and I'll take it out for a longer drive to fully warm it up later. Thanks.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Don't go away. It would be interesting to hear your impressions and experience in a month or so.........

The oil pressure sensor on a Northstar has a unique calibration. Replacing the sensor with an aftermarket unit is likely to result in false indications of low oil pressure. The first step in the systematic troubleshooting of an oil pressure problem is the installation of a calibrated gauge to determine if it is a pressure problem or an indication problem. The object of the exercise is not to make the light go out but to determine what is really happening and verify adequate pressure.

aamusls06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Cadillac Seville SLS, 88 Cadillac Deville, Trailblazer SS

let us know something. in every car i had we've ran castrol 20w50 in they went 200,000 miles+ easily. i remember when i was younger my mother had a chevette that had like 300,000 miles+ plus before it died(was the happiest day of my life when it did die). also, my 88 deville 4.5 liter has castrol 20w50 in it, and it has around 197,000 miles on it with the original motor and transmission. please give feedback how the northstar responded, like it was stated above i want to know how you turned out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.