Beef up a 4.6L NStar?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Beef up a 4.6L NStar? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What all can be done with this motor to make the car faster? i just left from a 93 lincoln ...
    djp
    djp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 STS 4.6L N*, 130,000 Miles

Beef up a 4.6L NStar?

What all can be done with this motor to make the car faster? i just left from a 93 lincoln mark 8 to this 94 sts, and the lincoln was soooo much faster.. i would definatly like to get some more speed in this car

i just ordered a k&n system from ebay that supposedly adds 5-10hp and gives better gas mileage..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

Re: Beef up a 4.6L NStar?

you know the hotter the air the worse it is for the engine thus less h/p
    The box on the N*'s are designed very well.you intake will be sucking air from the engine "room"= hot air

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

Besides an exhaust, your shit outta luck. The northstar is making just about as much horsepower as it can possibly make from the factory. The intake may actually drop power (do a search on the forum).

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

As they ^^^ said, there is precious little that may be done to squeeze a couple more HP from a N*. They're factory tweaked to the max for their particular application. Your CAI (it's not) will probably cost you some low-end response. Be VERY careful if it is the oil wetted type. ANY oil in the intake tubing will foul sensors and screw up the throttlebody with gunk. Your car will sound faster because the OEM intake was designed to flow adequate air while quietening the intake noise (It's a Cadillac...) The single best change you can make which will give you a few HP at redline is to install a good (not huge) exhaust system. Do a search....there are thousands of words in here concerning good and bad exhaust work. Otherwise, there are no Accel, MSD, Taylor, MOROSO, Edelbrock mods, cams, headers, intake manifolds, valves, you-name-it. There are some expensive parts made for sand rail etc. engines, but they won't work in a sidewinder N* installation. There may be a suitable performance chip for your car. Search

djp
    djp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 STS 4.6L N*, 130,000 Miles

thanks for everyones help!

ThrowSumD'sONDatBiSH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

No Mods? What about Cadillac Hot Rod Fabricators? Go here http://www.chrfab.com/ They have camshaft kits with crazy springs and they got some head work available which I will do to my caddy by myself. You can polish some sh*t in there like a port polish or head work.....Im pretty sure with enough money and tools you can bore the block out and get some kind of crazy pistons for it with bigger fuel injectors and who knows what. O yea get a chip and exhaust too and keep the stock air filter. Then hook it up to some NOS. O yea and dont forget to time-sert the block LOL!

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

The K&N is a waste of money and decreases HP in most cases. Read the threads around this one and you'll learn the ways of the N*.

The factory intake system flows more air than the N* can digest. The only bottleneck in the air flow system is the front to rear exhaust crossover, which so far has reminded unchanged due to space limitations.

BTW I'm thinking that the STS should walk all over the Lincoln.

The products at CHRF can NOT be used in a street car. they are for custom off road applications with custom engine management systems.
    Ownership:
    89 STS (1 of 1893) - FOR SALE
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

oops
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom PCM
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams

Memberships:

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

Call fastchip. 15 hp dyno proven. A few of us have them & they work great.
    Around $150. For 93 to 95 OBD I N*

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

ThrowSum.......Just how oversize can you bore an iron sleeved N* block? What engine control system does chrfab use in their cam applications? What rpm range are the cams ground for? Have you calculated the port wall thickness and what would be gained from a garage die grinder job? How sensitive are your fingertips when grinding/polishing aluminum?

Will any of this apply to a daily driver sedan?

You're comparing a street machine to a one-off sand rail. Apples/oranges.

I'm dead serious....there are many pitfalls for the home DIY modder. I have ruined a fair number of scarce cylinder heads over the years because I didn't practice before grinding.......Been there, done that.

A car you build yourself is an accomplishment. A car built for you by someone else is a trinket.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

no way was the Mark faster less it was Modded
    an ETC will walk a Mark (i know from experiance)
    an STS weighs a little more so it shouldnt be that much of a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by codewize View Post
    The K&N is a waste of money and decreases HP in most cases. Read the threads around this one and you'll learn the ways of the N*.

The factory intake system flows more air than the N* can digest. The only bottleneck in the air flow system is the front to rear exhaust crossover, which so far has reminded unchanged due to space limitations.

BTW I'm thinking that the STS should walk all over the Lincoln.

The products at CHRF can NOT be used in a street car. they are for custom off road applications with custom engine management systems.

---I dont see why you cant throw some CHRF cams and springs and other stuff in the caddy with a custom engine management system... Or you can reprogram the caddy computer. I know more aggressive cams and springs are under more stress and friction and they will wear out faster then stock cams, but if they wont sacrifice the overall engine reliability of the northstar I will put some in my caddy, I'll just get some new cams before they wear out so I dont f*ck some sh*t up. Read this http://www.chrfab.com/Head_Work.htm You can radius the sharp corner that should add 5 or 10 hp or probably more I dont really know but I know it cant be bad to radius it. Correction the 2 door inntech lincoln will blow the doors off any stock northstar cadillac they run like 13's and low 14's with a sucky driver and thats stock.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    ThrowSum.......Just how oversize can you bore an iron sleeved N* block? What engine control system does chrfab use in their cam applications? What rpm range are the cams ground for? Have you calculated the port wall thickness and what would be gained from a garage die grinder job? How sensitive are your fingertips when grinding/polishing aluminum?

Will any of this apply to a daily driver sedan?

You're comparing a street machine to a one-off sand rail. Apples/oranges.

I'm dead serious....there are many pitfalls for the home DIY modder. I have ruined a fair number of scarce cylinder heads over the years because I didn't practice before grinding.......Been there, done that.

A car you build yourself is an accomplishment. A car built for you by someone else is a trinket.

I dont have any experiance boring blocks I was just guessing that you could bore it out and stuff but like you said there are many pitfalls and boring it out dont seem like a good idea, soo ummm.... throw sum turbos on it!! You can turbo charge any engine so why not the northstar? I started thinking about that when I was looking at my dads turbo volvo engine which is mest up but the turbo is good im sure it is alot of work and fabricating but pretty simple minus the work, just hook em up to the exhaust manifold.... I know increasing the air and fuel will equal more power so like maybe a throttle body or head work polished ports or some other stuff to increase the amount of air the engine gets, then increase the fuel the engine gets probably some different injectors if they exist that will fit the northstar if not you would have to modify something. I know the correct fuel/air mixture is normally 1/15 so for every 15 parts of air you need one part of fuel that sh*t is calculated that is probably why you need a custom engine management system but the guy on here with the yellow fiero knows a little sum sum about the programming of the northstar computer.

You can't, that's the problem with all mods to the N* you can NOT reprogram the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowSumD'sONDatBiSH View Post
    ---Or you can reprogram the caddy computer..
    I've read every page on that site. Trust me. I'm sure several of us have. Porting and polishing may do something but it's an awful large expense, amount of time, etc to gain 5 HP. That's the type of work they did on Tim Allens DTSi. They made 400 HP claims but the numbers didnt show it.
    --- Read this http://www.chrfab.com/Head_Work.htm You can radius the sharp corner that should add 5 or 10 hp or probably more I don't really know but I know it cant be bad to radius it.
    I don't believe that either. We've had that discussion also.
    Correction the 2 door inntech lincoln will blow the doors off any stock northstar cadillac they run like 13's and low 14's with a sucky driver and thats stock.
    If you have money to burn the things I would do first are,

CAI, only because you can mod it up a bit for the next item. NOT because I think they add anything.

A higher stall converter, this will probably be your most noticeable item, especially on a L37 (VIN9) N* I would go with 3000 RPM with a 2.5:1 STR. Again those numbers are based on the L37.

Exhaust, Corsa if you have a Deville.

And last but certainly not least and tune from AJ.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom PCM
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams

Memberships:

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Corsa is Seville too Code

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.