Internal Mods For Northstar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Internal Mods For Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Sup guys, I took the engine and transmission out today with my dad to fix my head gaskets, and I ...
    ThrowSumD'sONDatBiSH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Internal Mods For Northstar

Sup guys, I took the engine and transmission out today with my dad to fix my head gaskets, and I got to thinking. Since the motor is out the car and it is about to be apart, why don't I make some modifications to it for more power. How can I get more power out of this engine without using too much money? I was reading about head work here: http://www.chrfab.com/Head_Work.htm
    and I got to thinking this is something I could do because my dad has any tool imaginable and he can help me with it. Are there any other "free" mods? What about springs? The website has some springs on there for only 150 dollars. Can I just put them in the northstar or would I need other modifications to it? Do I also need a cam to put those springs in there? Any help would be grapely appriciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Internal Mods For Northstar

BEFORE YOU START, please get a factory service manual for reference. The N* has 4 camshafts, 3 timing chains. You can find regrinds, no off-the-shelf aftermarket units. Within any model year the engines were engineered as a powertrain unit for specific application : translation.....no mods. Certainly, port matching, cleaning, some refined polishing, can be good for a couple of HP. The aftermarket builders are not making engines for daily drivers....far from it. If you can only use an engine above 4,000 rpm, what good is it ??? Carefully rebuild the engine, paying attention to the small details, and the thing will run forever. Go crazy with one-of-a-kind mods and you will have a nightmare. Have you ever blown up a $24,000 engine with 4 hours on it???

Welcome to NASCAR.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Anything you do to the internals of that engine will surely throw codes. The engines at Cadillac Hotrod Fabricators are designed for off road use using custom engine controls. None of what they do would ever work in a production car.

As sub said, this is not a joy ride to do. Get a manual. I'm sure working on the N* you will find a tool or two that your dad doesn't have.

I can't say it enough but this is not a small block Chevy. Pay attention and read.

Make sure to Timesert the entire engine.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

med
    med is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 STS "CADDYSNACK"

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowSumD'sONDatBiSH View Post
    Sup guys, I took the engine and transmission out today with my dad to fix my head gaskets, and I got to thinking. Since the motor is out the car and it is about to be apart, why don't I make some modifications to it for more power. How can I get more power out of this engine without using too much money? I was reading about head work here: http://www.chrfab.com/Head_Work.htm
    and I got to thinking this is something I could do because my dad has any tool imaginable and he can help me with it. Are there any other "free" mods? What about springs? The website has some springs on there for only 150 dollars. Can I just put them in the northstar or would I need other modifications to it? Do I also need a cam to put those springs in there? Any help would be grapely appriciated.
    That's cool to hear about a dad and son removing a tranny and motor together. I remember the first time (19yrs old) I removed a motor and tranny, although my dad wasn't around. I pulled a powerglide and 283 for rebuilding from a '64 Chevelle SS convertible. It took me forever (working on it all day with the mosquitoes until 3am at night). My drunk brother came home at 2am and pointed out the body was hanging by a cable from the tranny as I jacked up the assembly. <-- It's nice to have an extra pair of eyes when working on something new and big, even if those eyes are wasted drunk. I immediately remembered that I forgot to disconnect the speedo cable! What I remember most about this experience was: everyone told me it was simple to do, but very few actually knew (the local mechanic I bothered knew). That Chevelle was simple compared to what you guys are dealing with. I sincerely hope you guys have some fun with your project and let us know how you do.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

I agree ^^^^^

I never really had the pleasure of doing anything cool like that with my dad. I got stuck rebuilding the 350 out of our pickup do to necessity rather than for fun.

It was very educational none the less.
    Ownership:
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.