1999 Cadillac STS love/hate relationship...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1999 Cadillac STS love/hate relationship... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Yup its a head gasket one? Ok, my rad barfed all over the hiway yesturday under pressure. After many months ...
    mjd
    mjd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

1999 Cadillac STS love/hate relationship...

Yup its a head gasket one?

Ok, my rad barfed all over the hiway yesturday under pressure. After many months of overheating history, p0300 code (missfire), and tring to decifer the actual problem of the cars overheating through the water bottle, new water pump also, no white smoke, no oil mixtures etc. I am finally surrendering to the head gasket as the problem.

what I would like to know is weather or not it is posible to remove and repair the back, or the firewall side head gasket, in a 1999 STS without the removal of the engine? has anyone done it this way succesfully? Is there a thread or link someone can post here for me to go to if so?

Anyways thanks

P.S. 1 yaer ago I did use that rxauto stuff it worked for about 50,000kms before problem began to resurface.

Also, as I had to get to work and the whole being somewhat small in the rad I can offer the following results on all the, in a pinch solutions of quick repairs regarding the use of eggs, pepper, some metallic crap in a small yellow bottle as well as that stop leek stuff. All do not work and I could have been more successful by putting my 11 bucks towards a taxi cab, all myths.

Conclustion: As the whole was under pressure from the engine and pointed towards the motor I now have scrambled eggs complete with pepper all over the motor, along with little metal flakes from that yellow bottle and the other stuff too, I also most probably clogged something internally, heater core or small crossover tube.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

misfit6794 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT

Re: 1999 Cadillac STS love/hate relationship...

The first thing you should do is get an exhaust gas test. It will check for exhaust gases in your coolant (although you put so much crap in there im not sure if it will screw up the test). The only other definitive test is a cylinder leak test, this will for sure tell you if the hg is bad. These two tests are the only way to be 100 percent sure. You should also flush your coolant and put new stuff in. All that shit you put in there probably clogged your purge line, overflow tank, and alot of other parts. When you flush the coolant take off the hoses and make sure they aren't clogged.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It is next to impossible to do the rear head with the engine in the car.

Why doesn't anyone believe us when we say REPAIRS IN A BOTTLE DO NOT WORK.

mjd

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It is next to impossible to do the rear head with the engine in the car.

Why doesn't anyone believe us when we say REPAIRS IN A BOTTLE DO NOT WORK.
    Actually, when the rad went the first thought I had was a prior post I remembered reading a year ago, that stated repairs in a bottle do not work, and they were termed as "Snakeoil by a member". With this in mind and having to get to work being next to a gas station, with all those bottled repairs, I went ahead and did it anyways. Even though I had the better knowledge.

As for the rx auto stuff a year ago I used it against the better advice of this forum, only due to the thought of having to remove an engine out the bottom of the car, on a head gasket that showed no real signs problem. It did buy me time 50,000 kms.

So with all this I am listening to your first diagnosis of a head gasket Ranger as you were right in the first place (and you may say, I told you so to me,hehe.)

Nah, you have enough problems. Don't like kicking people when they are down. Best of luck in the repair.

I remembered reading a year ago, that stated repairs in a bottle do not work, and they were termed as "Snakeoil by a member".
    Sounds suspiciously like yours truly.

mjd

Thanks Ranger,

Ok the radiator is now out of my car. I also just missed out on a sts 4.6l Northstar with 11,000 kms on it for 500 bucks that a guy bought from a rear ended wreck to put into a coupe he was building, but it was too large...Oh well.

Question:

There was one hose connected to what I believe was the airconditioning compressor, with only the one line how does the water circulate and return to the Radiator?

Also the water that came out was still dexcool pink, I find this quite interesting as I have not used the dexcool since the car was purchased 2 years ago.
    Any thoughts on this?

There was also no place for oil cooler lines only the two transmission lines.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

It's a water cooled alternator.

As Submariner said, the alternator, not the air conditioning compressor is water cooled on the '99.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you put green coolant in it? You never get all the coolant out. There was some residual Dex left in there if you did. That may be why it still looked orange.

Should be a trans cooler line on one side and an oil cooler on the other I THINK.

mjd

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    It's a water cooled alternator.
    Ok great so how does the water circulate back to the rad as there is only the one line does it continue through to the block from the altenator somehow?

mjd

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    As Submariner said, the alternator, not the air conditioning compressor is water cooled on the '99.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that you put green coolant in it? You never get all the coolant out. There was some residual Dex left in there if you did. That may be why it still looked orange.

Should be a trnas cooler line on one side and an oil cooler on the other I THINK.
    ok thanks yet again on this.

jevanof is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Wow, that was alot of reading, my HG failed, I am not happy to saw that I will be starting this soon. I plan to take my time also. I was wondering why you removed the engine from the tansmittion, couldent you just pull the engine and tranny, make the repair and install the engine?

jevanof is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

sorry wrong post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.