High Performance Head Gaskets?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, High Performance Head Gaskets? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know where to get high performance head gaskets for a northstar deville like permatorque or something like that? ...
    ThrowSumD'sONDatBiSH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

High Performance Head Gaskets?

Does anyone know where to get high performance head gaskets for a northstar deville like permatorque or something like that? Has anyone ever heard of high performance head gaskets that are readily available for northstars? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: High Performance Head Gaskets?

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowSumD'sONDatBiSH View Post
    Does anyone know where to get high performance head gaskets for a northstar deville like permatorque or something like that? Has anyone ever heard of high performance head gaskets that are readily available for northstars? Thanks
    The gasket is not the problem. It is the block.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

1. No
    2. No

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

According to the GM Powertrain engineer, the gasket is a composition and metal sandwich. When the coolant is not serviced properly the metal in the middle of the sandwich corrodes away and the rest of the gasket quickly follows. Coolant leaks into the chambers surrounding the headbolts and the threads corrode and let go. Control of cooling during the casting process has always been problematic with the diecasting process resulting in localized heat treatment defects in the casting. There is a heat treatment defect in aluminum castings called intergranular corrosion that progresses very rapidly in the presence of moisture and results in the aluminum having a consistancy that resembles wet cardboard. The corroded bolt threads pull out of the aluminum and the gasket blows. The problem starts with the coolant degrading but it's exacerbated by the intergranular corrosion of the bolt threads that follows. Now you know the rest of the story.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    According to the GM Powertrain engineer, the gasket is a composition and metal sandwich. When the coolant is not serviced properly the metal in the middle of the sandwich corrodes away and the rest of the gasket quickly follows. Coolant leaks into the chambers surrounding the headbolts and the threads corrode and let go. Control of cooling during the casting process has always been problematic with the diecasting process resulting in localized heat treatment defects in the casting. There is a heat treatment defect in aluminum castings called intergranular corrosion that progresses very rapidly in the presence of moisture and results in the aluminum having a consistancy that resembles wet cardboard. The corroded bolt threads pull out of the aluminum and the gasket blows. The problem starts with the coolant degrading but it's exacerbated by the intergranular corrosion of the bolt threads that follows. Now you know the rest of the story.
    I have a box with your name on it.
    Long story, but I will mail it out some day.

97Concours1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SG AWD, 1997 Concours Deville (sold)

I got Fel-Pro PermaTorque head gaskets for the Northstar from RockAuto.com. The part numbers are 26150 PT(left) and 26151 PT(right). They were about $19 each. They don't look like anything fancy, just normal head gaskets. Every other gasket on the engine is an engineering marvel though - and very expensive.

As was explained previously, maintaining the clamp load on the gasket is the real problem. The aluminum head bolt threads in the block let go, which causes a release of the clamp load on the head gasket. Then it leaks. If you are going to do a head gasket repair, do lots of research on inserts for the head bolts. Good Luck.

med
    med is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 STS "CADDYSNACK"

What is the compression thickness (i.e., after torquing down the heads) on those Fel-Pro 2615x's anyway? Does anyone know the thickness of the standard GM head gasket set or its compressed thickness? Just wondering.

What are the best time serts to use the regular ones? Where do I find them? Do I need all new bolts too? Is there a whole kit somewhere with the whole kit with timesert and headbolts and everything needed? Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post
    What is the compression thickness (i.e., after torquing down the heads) on those Fel-Pro 2615x's anyway? Does anyone know the thickness of the standard GM head gasket set or its compressed thickness? Just wondering.
    dkozloski will in a couple of days.

What are the best time serts to use the regular ones? Where do I find them? Do I need all new bolts too? Is there a whole kit somewhere with the whole kit with timesert and headbolts and everything needed? Thanks for the help.
    location?

South Bend, Indiana. Who has the best timesert kit? I think I want felpro w/e they r called because I hear they are the best head gaskets to get.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Med...........Probably .035-.040". AJ can mike up a used OEM gasket for comparison. You probably can't gain much if any compression change with the limited number of replacement gasket choices.

kjhansen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac SLS

I had Cometic head gaskets on my '87 Buick Turbo Regal.

http://www.cometic.com/domesticauto.aspx

I ran up to 30psi of boost without a failure. They are extremely reliable and tough, available for the Northstar and extremely expensive ($113 EACH). But they'll hold up--probably better than the block/head connection. Get that fixed first.
    Keith

97Concours1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 1SG AWD, 1997 Concours Deville (sold)

As you have probably noticed, there are a lot of different opinions on Timeserts and inserts in general. Some only put inserts in the threads that are bad, some do all 20 just in case. Some use the brand name Timesert with success, some use Norm's inserts with success. I used Norm's inserts because they have longer course threads that bite into more of the aluminum. And I did all 20 holes. Norm's tooling for re-threading the block is not as fancy as the Timesert tooling, but it seems to work ok. The Norm's kit is on Ebay for about $350. You can usually find a used Timesert kit on Ebay too if you want to go that way.

Replacing the head bolts is also a debate. There are too many unknowns about using the old bolts, so just buy new ones. You can get them at RockAuto along with the head gaskets.

I haven't seen a kit with everything included. That would be nice though.

thanks for the help guys... my location is south bend indiana

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.