Coolant leak...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant leak... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; '95-4.6L So, was driving to Blain's today to get the cats food (since they're a couple of pigs) and a ...
    CHairforce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille Concours

Coolant leak...

'95-4.6L
    So, was driving to Blain's today to get the cats food (since they're a couple of pigs) and a check coolant level message popped up on the DIC. I was only a block out so I finished the drive and parked in the back of the lot, shut down and popped the hood. Well, there was coolant all over the air box, it was splattered around the secondary water pump pulley, and now I had a big ass pool of coolant on the ground. The alternate pulley for the water pump has been acting up for a while, the bearings were reaching the end of the road but it still spun freely, and it looks like this might be where the leak is coming from. It looks like the leak is happening under acceleration since there is a lot of spray around the that side of the engine bay. So, my question is this, are there seals on the secondary pump pulley that would fail and cause a coolant leak? Or is it part of the return underneath the pulley perhaps? How hard is it to work on that side of the system anyway, I'm a college student who has to go 125 miles to drill next weekend and this car is how I'm getting down there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Coolant leak...

Update:
    After getting drizzled on for about an hour, tore the left side of the intake and all the related covers off. Got down to the pump itself and that it's leaking either from the body or around the shaft behind the pulley. Problem is that the leak is on the inboard side, next to the block so I can't tell for sure. Will be spending my day out from school tomorrow tearing out the pump and getting new seals in it. Where's the best place to get a rebuild kit for a Northstar pump? Adavance, NAPA, O-Reilly? What else can I do while I've got all that crap out of there?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

There is no rebuild kit. R & R the pump. It comes with a new "O" ring seal for that side. Get a new cover gasket as well. You will need to borrow, steal, buy or rent a special socket to remove the pump. It is not threaded, but cam locked in place so it only takes about 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Clockwise to remove and counter clockwise to install.

Sooo, got everything off and attempting to pull the pump, no luck...any secrets to this besides sheer will power? I only weigh 170 pounds and weight lifting is NOT my forte. This thing is about as sealed in as it can get (after 165000 miles why not) and I can't get the damn thing to budge anywhere! Maybe if I drop the car onto the breaker from the top of my building I might get it to pop...

A cheater pipe on the breaker bar will help, but I would prefer a few short blasts from an impact.

Have been working with a cheater, and don't have an impact wrench. Now the socket is slipping off the pump, am starting to get a little testy after three hours work trying to get the thing to move. Wish I had the $$$, I'd take it to a dealer!!! Would an electric impact wrench do the trick you think? I don't have an air compressor or somewhere to put one, so that's about my last option right now...

An electric impact may work if you can get it in there. It's the pounding that breaks it loose easier than increasing torque.

Thanks, finally gave up beating on it myself. 7 hours of effort, nothing accomplished, I guess you could say I'm determined at least. Will be taking it on a trailer to the parents' place Wednesday, they've got a compressor and air tools there. Will beat the hell out of the thing until it gives and comes loose, replacing the thermostat and cleaning up the ABS controller/installing new lines while I'm at it now, don't want to tear any of this stuff apart again for a VERY long time.

The older green coolant engines seem to have this problem. I suspect when you do get it out, you'll find a calcium build up. Good reason to use distilled water. Someone just posted how easy his water pump R & R was (1hr :45min,start to finish). It was A Dex-Cooled engine.

MM STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '00 STS Crimson Pearl/Blk, 18" STS wheels,Strut Tower Brace

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    There is no rebuild kit. R & R the pump. It comes with a new "O" ring seal for that side. Get a new cover gasket as well. You will need to borrow, steal, buy or rent a special socket to remove the pump. It is not threaded, but cam locked in place so it only takes about 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Clockwise to remove and counter clockwise to install.

I wonder if this post was read. Mike

One would hope.

Yeah, I read that, and the instructions in the technical section. And even looked at the pump before I started pounding on it, it's stuck. I'm not dumb, just a little underpowered for the job...and Ranger, thank you for all the help, you seem to be the local "uh, why is this doing this" answer guy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.