Roots style S/C for the northstar. Anytakers?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Roots style S/C for the northstar. Anytakers? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Soo what if a custom hood with a bump in it would be required. This would make for a mean ...
    1badcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94' Seville STS

Roots style S/C for the northstar. Anytakers?

Soo what if a custom hood with a bump in it would be required. This would make for a mean STS. Imagine how much power you could make if you could get the tranny to handle it. I wonder how much they cost? Those of us with the 93-95 should be able to make it work since Westers still custom programs chips for us. Hell I'd cut a hole through my ghost flamed hood to let that polished blower breath. The car is only used for weekends anyways.

http://www.mechtech-ms.com/northstarSupercharger.php

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Roots style S/C for the northstar. Anytakers?

Someone was selling a complete kit (might have been them) for $6k on ebay... supercharger, manifold and injectors.

That sounds about right. Especially if it is highly polished like that with billet fuel rails. I wonder what else would be needed? It should still work with all the factory accessories. If you didn't have a HG problem yet you will after this install.

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

easier to setup a centrifugal supercharger with a real intercooler, no need for custom intake or rails, no hood bump, just need a custom bracket and new belt arangement, cost would be in the 6k ish range w/o tune...

But has anybody done a custom Centri setup on the cramped Northstar yet? I imagine it would have to be a reverse rotation Vortech and it will be in the place of the battery tray and be a bear to install. That is the same way SHO's and Maximas do it. Anyways the Northstar is lacking in lowend torque and the centri's only provide mid-high end hp due to spool up time. The one I linked above will fix that problem real quick Get these pigs off the line allot quicker and into the upper RPMs where they want to be. Oh and where in the heck is the Water pump in that picture above? Would it still be in stock location and the belt wrap back around it?

It would take some fitting, but as long as you rotated the outlet housing downward there'd be a minimial amount of cutting/pounding to fit.

As for the low end torque, you really don't need anymore on these cars, especially if you have the shorter 3.73 gears in the ETC, STS, or DTS which as is comes close to breaking the tires loose from a standstill on good tires/dry pavement. More low end power is going to make you spend more time/money trying to keep the nose down so the tires don't break loose, plus the additional cost of a custom hood for a roots/screw style blower and the inability to really cool the air charge (aftercoolers would just make the thing stick up that much more and cost a bunch more), another setup would be preferable.

When last I spoke with Mark about his Turbo'd 99 STS he said 1st gear was useless and 2nd only mildly useful as he'd still spin starting in second when his boost would come in around 2-3k or so. His setup was also a nightmare to plumb, and very expensive.

I know both a turbo or roots/screw would be preferable from a power standpoint to a CSC but I think it solves 2 major problems better than either of the other alternatives. First is integration, besides battery relocation and custom bracket/belt, plumbing a FMIC would be easy and you could use stock intake, TB, fuel rails. Second, traction, our FWD cars loose traction during burnouts cause the back suspension is squishy and we can't put bigger tires on unless you don't plan on turning. A roots/screw would get you out of the hole faster but not if the tires are spinning the whole way down, same goes for the turbo, the CSC comes in later and can be easily tailored with an electronic/programmable wastegate to maximize traction as well as power.

this is of course just my .02

I agree with you but I just don't like Centri supachachas that much. They require rebuilds, are heavy, use engine oil(tapped), etc.. I am a turbo guy myself but after seeing Marks turbo'd 99' I said screw that. Tha was a tight fit and plumbing nightmare. I guess if somebody stepped up and made the backets and tensioners pullies needed to mount and keep from belt slip then people could buy new or used headunits and piece toghter intercooler and cold side pipe kits.

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

uhh... heh.... the supercharger and intake on the 4.4L N* weighs 70lbs. It requires an adapter for an engine hoist to remove it.

Also, ones like the Paxton have self contained oil reservoirs and don't need pressurized engine oil.

I know but we were talking about Vortech. Sorry I forgot to specify. BTW that 4.4L's Supachacha weighs a ton! Never heard of them weighing that much before. Usually it's less then or equal to that of the Centri's due to the swapping of the inake manifold for the roots intake and unit. Then the Centri's have the 20+lb head unit and all the oil fttings/lines, heavy steel bracket, extra tensioners(if needed) charge pipes, intercooler etc...

Oh and battery relocation bracket/Box, extra large gauge cables to move the battery away from the original spot. I guess forced induction isn't really feasable on these Northstar engines.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a Paxton due to the self-oiling design but I like Vortech and ProCharger just as well, an oil line isn't that big a deal. I've heard most people get more miles out of Vortech but I've seen Paxtons get to 20k miles before needing a rebuild which isn't too shabby.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoQ View Post
    Well I guess, I'm a poser then. I did it more to motivate me into getting it done and done right. The suspension is easy, I modded my 95 with new suspension parts and dropped and tighten up the handling. So I already know what to do there. Then I ran into the first roadblock -Big Brakes. Brembo said they could do 13.8" 4 piston front 12.?? 2 piston rear for $8500. I was floored! Next AJ stopped development on 96-99 NorthStars to do NX for Codewise and then he got all involved in his move so I'm leaving him alone until he gets settled in. For the 0-60 under 5 seconds, as soon as I can get my hands on a decent used VorTech supercharger, I can begin designing the piping and mounts to run it off the waterpump pulley, then I'll get AJ to tune.
    Lastly, enhanced styling cues is pretty much done except after facing the above issues I stopped development on my rear wing, but that too is an easy add.
    Don't forget that the water pump drive pulley is attached to the intake cam, so it rotates at half engine rpm.........

............... which brings up a simple question: How long will that single roller front cam chain last if tasked to drive a 2.5 or 3 to 1 stepup blower pulley ?

I know this is probably the wrong post to add this to, but Sub and I need to discuss this further. And if possible ETC and AJ jump in here and add your expertise.

Since I'm only trying to generate 3-6 pounds of boost, a smaller pulley will allow me to spool up just as fast or faster than someone spooling 12-30 PSI. A smaller pulley/Vortech would also be less stress on the cam chain. Problem is Vortech's power graphs are almost impossible to interpret without a degree in aeronautical engineering - which I HAVE! They're supposed to get back to me to tell me which custom combo will best meet my needs, but haven't heard back from them. Their S1V looks like a best fit to me, but I'll only be using 15-20% of its capability at my max PSI.

Vortech swears 4-6PSI will work with stock components and electronics and they charge a premium for custom configurations. Let's think about this! I want a slow screw, low boost, and smaller body. None of which they will supply. They want to sell me one off the shelf and tell me to get XYZ size pulley to meet my needs - AND THEN THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME A PREMIUM. I don't think so!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A Roots blower does not "spool up" (a turbocharger term) because it always runs at a fixed ratio of engine rpm. While a Roots may supply some boost at low engine load and rpm depending on the pulley ratio, a turbocharger depends solely on exhaust gas heat and volume to spool up - as in blowing on the pinwheel, therefore the term "turbo lag". A turbo really needs your foot in the floor and high exhaust gas flow to produce more than absolute minimal boost. At any condition other than power application (throttle opening) a turbo loafs along producing NO boost. As a matter of fact, a turbo is a restriction in the intake and exhaust systems unless it is driven to boost volumes. In a like vein, a Roots blower is a net power drain (something has to turn it, like an A/C compressor that gets harder to turn the faster the engine turns........) until the power derived from boost overcomes the drive power necessary to spin the blower........TANSTAAFL.

We used to do a few turbo tricks back in the Dark Ages, (60's) one of which was to wrap the entire pre-turbo exhaust piping in glass and asbestos insulation to keep as much heat in the system as possible. Man, does galvanized exhaust pipe rot out an an incredible rate under those conditions.......and for Roots blowers, before the advent of serpentine belts, it was common to see 2 or 3 sheave belt pulleys driving a 4-71 or 6-71 blower. The smaller the blower pulley, the faster it turns, and therefore requires more power to turn, placing undue stress on the drive system.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

A Roots blower does not "spool up" (a turbocharger term) because it always runs at a fixed ratio of engine rpm. While a Roots may supply some boost at low engine load and rpm depending on the pulley ratio, a turbocharger depends solely on exhaust gas heat and volume to spool up - as in blowing on the pinwheel, therefore the term "turbo lag". A turbo really needs your foot in the floor and high exhaust gas flow to produce more than absolute minimal boost. At any condition other than power application (throttle opening) a turbo loafs along producing NO boost. As a matter of fact, a turbo is a restriction in the intake and exhaust systems unless it is driven to boost volumes. In a like vein, a Roots blower is a net power drain (something has to turn it, like an A/C compressor that gets harder to turn the faster the engine turns........) until the power derived from boost overcomes the drive power necessary to spin the blower........TANSTAAFL.
    Yeah, I knew this wasn't the most appropriate place to continue this discussion. Vortech superchargers aren't roots or turbos - somewhere in between. Thats why they're called centrifugal superchargers, i.e., spool like a turbo but driven by a belt.

We used to do a few turbo tricks back in the Dark Ages, (60's) one of which was to wrap the entire pre-turbo exhaust piping in glass and asbestos insulation to keep as much heat in the system as possible. Man, does galvanized exhaust pipe rot out an an incredible rate under those conditions.......and for Roots blowers, before the advent of serpentine belts, it was common to see 2 or 3 sheave belt pulleys driving a 4-71 or 6-71 blower.
    I remember doing this, too.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Not a problem....the old Paxtons had to spin at some incredible speeds to generate boost....... turbos are in fact centrifugal blowers, but exhaust driven, whereas a Vortech is belt driven, so it needs darn fast speeds to produce boost, and the larger the engine displacement, the faster it needs to spin..........regardless, you'll have to admit that you need to spin this puppy pretty darn fast, and a cam drive will NOT do it.

A 6" crank pulley driving a 3" alternator spins the alternator at 2:1 - 1,000 engine rpm = 2,000 alternator rpm. A 6" cam pulley drives the same alternator at half speed because the cam runs at half engine speed, so you would need a 12" cam pulley to equal crank speed in this case. It will not work to drive a centrifugal blower.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.