03 4.6 Loud engine knock caused by roller rockers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 03 4.6 Loud engine knock caused by roller rockers in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I started hearing a very loud knocking noise coming from the engine, especially when cold that sounded like a rod ...
    ltmax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

03 4.6 Loud engine knock caused by roller rockers

I started hearing a very loud knocking noise coming from the engine, especially when cold that sounded like a rod bearing or carbon, and the car started missing and was way down on power.

Tried all the usual recommendations for removing carbon etc but nothing worked. When I finally gave in and started tearing the engine down, I discovered three of the four roller rockers were not in place under two cylinders on the exhaust valves on rear bank of the motor.

The rockers weren't damaged and nothing was loose or worn, and as soon as I loosened up the exhaust cam and placed the rockers back in position and put it all back together, the noise was gone and it runs great again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I don't understand how these roller rockers could come loose and get spit out from under the camshaft.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 03 4.6 Loud engine knock caused by roller rockers

That would point to a problem with the lash adjusters. Could be a blockage in the oil feed line, preventing them from getting oil pressure. Or even something as simple as bad oil... Don't be surprised if it comes back.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

It will be back.
    was it #5 or #7?

I'm not sure how the northstar cylinders are laid out numerically, but it was both roller rockers on the exhaust valve for the third cylinder in counting over from the passenger side, and one roller rocker from the second exhaust valve over.

What do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

The motor only has 75k on it and no signs of wear on anything and it runs great.

Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

You can fix it by putting in new pistons. That's the GM fix for that. Then it'll knock all the time though.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, I don't understand how roller rockers coming off inside the cylinder heads equates to needing replacement pistons, do you mean the lash adjusters under the overhead cams or do you thing that the pistons are hitting the exhaust valve and causing this?

rear head?

yes, rear head middle two exhaust valves, both rockers on one and one on the other

yes, rear head middle two cylinder exhaust valves, both rockers on one cylinder and one of two on the other

We have had just a few with a strange rattle at times. Comes and goes. The last one I had I did a carbon treatment and the engine blew up right after. I had troubles turning the engine over by hand with the plug out before I started it after the carbon treatment. We have a sucker machine and I kept sucking crap out of #7 until it would turn over by hand. Then it poked a hole in (I think) the head. So that got an engine. I think that was #3 for this strange noise.
    This brings me up to last Thursday. I have an engine apart currently. I found a similar noise as before. I have no misfires. I think the Exhaust valves on #5 cylinder are hanging form time to time, but I have NO misfires. That would be very odd. If the Exhaust valves hang the followers would fall out. I will keep you posted on my findings.

Highline Cady is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Nitrous03DHS,AJtune,Corsa,Volant,3.71s,Grille,tinted,stall'd

Honestly I scaned this thread, I also have an 03 that knocks, and was told by the dealer the fix would be new pistons, maybe my knock is different than your knock, but that then it would knock all the time. That's all. Just relaying what I was told, like I said my knock might be diferent than your knock. Good luck either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Highline Cady View Post
    Honestly I scaned this thread, I also have an 03 that knocks, and was told by the dealer the fix would be new pistons, maybe my knock is different than your knock, but that then it would knock all the time. That's all. Just relaying what I was told, like I said my knock might be diferent than your knock. Good luck either way.
    This is like that noise from the SLS that I was working on that blew up the day you were over. It was a few months ago. The motor expired in the shop. It had something floating around in it.

I'm glad I caught mine when I did, there was absolutely zero damage to the top end, I just hope that we can figure out how to prevent this from happening again.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1989 STS / 1991 d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Someone should at least, for education purposes, tell the guy that there are not rocker arms in a 2000+ N*

They're described as cam followers. It's not the same. No pushrods, no lifters.
    Ownership:
    89 STS (1 of 1893) - FOR SALE
    91 d'Elegance 350
    02 DTS
    01 DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Oops, guess I'm showing my age, not quite up to speed on the OHC terminology. Thanks for the info, I added cam followers to the search thread and I'll try to edit the description thread if I can.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.