starter gives a single click
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, starter gives a single click in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1997 Eldorado that ran fine on friday. Tonight (sat) I went out to start the car and ...
    calarco3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado, 1969 Coupe Deville

starter gives a single click

I have a 1997 Eldorado that ran fine on friday. Tonight (sat) I went out to start the car and I only get a single click out of the starter. Have no idea where to go with this but need to get this going soon as possible. Please any help will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

Re: starter gives a single click

Hmmm....sounds like the battery is dead. Have you tried to jump start it?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My vote is for the battery as well. Todays cars are not like the cars of yesteryear. They used to give you some warning by slower cranking. Today they seem to get every last amp out of the battery. They start fine today and then deader'n a door nail tomorrow.

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

'course, easy way to test is to tell us if anything else electrical works - radio, horn, etc. If you have other electrical stuff, then it's probably the starter.

In my lifetime, I've had more starters go out on me than any other part, ever - at least 10, over the last 35-40 years, including TWO on my 93 Suburban and one on my '99 Deville. It's been my experience that when the starter goes, you either get a single "click", or a "click..click...click" as the solenoid tries to engage.

Take heart though - if it IS the starter, it's not a bad job at all - unlike most cars where you have to crawl underneath and get three arms up into the bowels of the engine, the NS starter is high and dry in the cylinder bank valley. Just have to remove the intake stuff and there she is..

all other electrical stuff works fine, headlamps are nice and bright as well as the interior lights, radio and what not. No codes came up when i checked those thanks for the quick replies looks like I will be taking off the intake tomorrow morning.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

You need to look at the the Positive battery cable. If your car has 2 seperate positive cables you could have an issue at the battery connection. Most Eldos have two seperate cables. Most 96 to 99 Deville's have 2 cables. I have seen many Cadillacs with 1 Terminal and 2 cables coming out of it. We have had problems getting the correct parts, this may just be 95, 96, and may be early 97 that have one cable.

The feed to the car runs on one cable. The starter runs on the second cable. They have a lead spacer between the two and they use 1 bolt. If you get corrosion around the starter cable and or a loose connection the car will not start. The cable that runs the car also go to the alternator. This would keep the battery charged. That would be the reason that your headlights work.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Do yourself a favor and test the battery or swap it out with a known good one before you start pulling manifolds. It may have enough power to run accessories, but not enough to crank the engine.

AJxtcMan thank you soOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. It was the second lead coming off of the battery. I took off the positive lead cleaned everything up real good with some baking soda water and it fired right up. good thing i forgot my wallet when i went to get a starter this morning. If i took that apart and found the starter to be fine i may have lost it. Thanks everyone you have been a great help.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Glad to help.

thu
    thu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville

Ah, that could explain the same symptoms I have when I leave the key in the "Acc" position. After 20 minutes of listening to music or watching a DVD (engine off), it won't start (just clicks) but everything still works. I'll have to check it later this week.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.