Bouncing Idle, new sparkplugs and oil after seafoam or TEC?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Bouncing Idle, new sparkplugs and oil after seafoam or TEC? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everyone, 97 sls 117k I am having a slightly wonky idle while coasting. Idle dips 500 rps and bounces ...
    fleishman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 SLS

Bouncing Idle, new sparkplugs and oil after seafoam or TEC?

Hello everyone,

97 sls 117k
    I am having a slightly wonky idle while coasting. Idle dips 500 rps and bounces back up, will stall sometimes.

after researching for a while I have found many folks on this site who have encountered this however no one who has solved it. I have narrowed it down to FPR or an injector clogged by carbon build up, of which i have a lot, and riching up a cylinder. I have some p0138 p0139 and p0141 codes as well even though i replaced the o2 sensor.

my FPR is not leaking, but i still have the original plastic fuel rails, calling the dealership on that one tomorrow, hopefully new lines come with a new fpr.

in addition to that i am going to be cleaning out the top of the engine with some TEC or seafoam to try and reduce my carbon and try to clean out a possible drippy injector.

I just changed my oil and put new plugs in, do I really have to change the oil and plugs after using TEC?

How often can/should you use a product like TEC?

Thank you all, I will keep you posted on my progress.

Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Bouncing Idle, new sparkplugs and oil after seafoam or TEC?

Do I really have to change the oil and plugs after using TEC?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes. The TEC will leak past the rings and into the oil. Just do some WOT to clean it out.

Any opinion on my diagnosis?

Just because my FPR is not leaking into the vacuum hose, does that mean it is working properly?

If I don't want to spend $60 on new plugs after my TEC experience, can I pull them out, clean them off, let them dry, and reinstall?

Thanks!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Just because my FPR is not leaking into the vacuum hose, does that mean it is working properly?
    Yes.

If I don't want to spend $60 on new plugs after my TEC experience, can I pull them out, clean them off, let them dry, and reinstall?
    Yes.

Have you cleaned the TB and the IAC valve and air passages related to it?

I cleaned the TB through the butterfly. I would really like to take it, and the intake plenum off to clean them thoroughly. Instead of taking all that effort to disassemble the top of the engine, I thought I would try out TEC/UEC/Seafoam first.

The car is going in on Monday to have the fuel rail replaced on account of the recall, then I will take off and clean the TB and IAC and air passages, then I will TEC..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.