93-99 Dis ????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 93-99 Dis ???? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im a noob here But After some info. There seems to be some knowlagable folks here. Im impressed. Any hoo ...
    zbuickman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): northstar ignited Big Block

93-99 Dis ????

Im a noob here But After some info. There seems to be some knowlagable folks here. Im impressed. Any hoo I am modifing a DIS to run my Big Block. and have it running bench style. Now what Exact signal is the DIS looking for From the crank sensor. This information does not seem to be in the service manual. I know its looking at the pluses. but what part. The pulse in general? Does the voltage have to go up with RPM. Will a 12v pulse from a 00+ CKP or any 5 or 12 V pulse work? Does it have to be near 100V @3.2 KHz. I am asking because I would like to use some ABS sensors neaten up the install. If I knew the operational range of the DIS module It would make my search easier. I will only be using REF,BYPASS, EST, 4X, IGN, TACH, GND, CKP A, CKP B. Cam in and out wont be used untill I go to SFI. It is my understanding that I dont need cam in unless Im using the 24X signal. which would remain high with out the cam sync. Here are some pics of the install so far.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 93-99 Dis ????

It is looking specifically for center crosses. So your input signal must be AC.

Voltage does not matter as long as it's AC, and above about 5v.

I know there are some people trying to install the N* DIS on SBC's and were having problems. The angle between the two crank sensors is critical. Half a degree out and the sparks stopped. I do not think it will work with just 1 sensor. So, you have your job cut out for you.

Yep I have to have both sensors. that is why I section cut the block. So I can machine that down for a mounting point if all else fails That is good to know Ill Go and look for some shallow wheel sensors. Ive gotten it to trigger on Denso crank sensors and Delphi VSS's . And had the 00+ Gray and Black sensors reading the ring. but didnt take the chance on grounding out the ign module for it to read the 12V(sounds like it wouln't have worked anyway.) I like the information You gave me That opens up a large variety of sensors. It actully started reading at 3.8V with the Denso's. but it was NEVER going to make it to near 100V.

You can do a trick to turn DC pulses into AC pulses...

We'll see if this ASCII works...
    Code:
    Input from Sensor ------+-----)|-------AC Output
                            |     0.1uF cap
                            \
                            / 
                            \ 10k resistor
                            /
                           |
                           +12V (or whatever)

Woo hoo I got spark. in the truck and turning over. Ive got my 4x and fuel. however It's only sometimes. I am contributing that to the fact that my CKPs (non caddy(mopar actually)) are only putting out 300mV at crank

SOOO are there any EE's int the house?? I drew my self up and amp circuit for my CKP's and have a couple of ?? I'm definatly NOT an Electronics Guru. What size cap do I need on my 3130's for 26Hz to 5 KHz. If I use Positive feedback on my fianal amp will I need a lower regulated power souce or should I make it negatively fed back. and are my calcs right for a 4x amplification?? looking at this more noew I believe I should change it to neg feed back loops, That way I will keep the sawtooth patteren.
    Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images

KISS

You build that thing and all it takes is a cold solder joint to leave you stranded somewhere. Use the factory ignition module. There are probably 100,000 different crank sensors out there, maybe 50,000 that would work here. You just have to find the one that fits

Good point...... I think I had a little tunnel vision going there. and yes I know just enough to get my self in trouble

afgun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4

Hi there, zbuickman. Did you make your reluctor by turning down a N* crank?

--andrew

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If I count the number of teeth and spaces correctly, that's a pre-2000 crank cut down.

You're gonna have a hard time with this thread: it's over a year old and zbuickman hasn't been around in a while.

afgun is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4

Got it; I"ll try to find him elsewhere. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.