I think I'm cross-eyed
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, I think I'm cross-eyed in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I had my caddy tell me to change the Trans Fluid. she's only got 110 on it and the transmission ...
    Roswell256 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think I'm cross-eyed

I had my caddy tell me to change the Trans Fluid. she's only got 110 on it and the transmission fluid is beautiful, no smell or anything. But I figure what the hell it can't hurt to just drain/refill and switch/clean screens. Well here is where I think I'm at a loss. I first called and talked to a cadillac dealer that I know and trust more then anything. They said that if the fluid is good it should be fine. Just reset it and forget about it. Well I ask them about how muich fluid should it take if I decied to change. he tells me to drain and put like 5 in. then start the car and while its running to check level. If its low add some more. he tells me it shouldn't take more then like 7 maybe. I asked if it was ok for the transmission to have the car running but low on trans fluid. he says it won't hurt a thing as long as you aren't in gear. Well I'm ok with all of this when I remember that in the owners manual there is a spot that tells me transmission fluid. WOW was 7qts a little off. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 30pt.s 7.5 GALLIONS. Does my transmission take 7.5 GALLIONS of fluid ??? seems like a lot to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: I think I'm cross-eyed

If you mean 30 pints, 30 pints is 3.75 gallons...?

For added security in your math and my math in the future...

http://www.convert-me.com/en/

30 quarts is 7.5 gallons btw if thats what you meant.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Always add what you drain, as when you drain the pan you dont drain out all the fluid... A good majority is still in the torque converter and valve body...

Usually you will drain out about 6-8qts out of the pan.....

Ooops...Brain fart...lol .... thats right 4 quarts to a gallion not 2.... lol... and I'm a programmer/math geek.

so just draining the 6-8 and replacing is ok as far as a drain/refill goes? I'm not going to want to mess with draining anything else? Do all the places that store transmission fluid mix? meaning that if I drain the pan and replace fluid isn't that kind of like doing an oil change by dropping a couple of quarts then adding a couple new ones. your more revitalizing rather then replacing. The service manual also talks about the transmisson fluid cooler. Should I bleed and refill that as well?

Also... there isn't anything special about the transmission fluid? I don't need anything thats $30 a bottle or anything? don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for it if I need it ....but I don't want to put in anything special if it doens't matter.

Thanks for the help

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Why don't you search using the infamous phrase "transmission flush" in the search feature for this forum and read up....lots on this already .....

The 4T80e has a "hidden" drain plug that is accessed once you have the bottom pan down. Take the bottom pan off , clean the pan and the two pickup screens and remove the drain plug that is directly under the side cover. Much more oil will come out. The 4T80E stores oil in the side cover (it is a dry sump system and the screens are just for the scavenge pump that scavenges the bottom pan to the side cover...) so the side cover has to be drained separately to get the oil there out.

Guess-ti-mate what you remove, install that much fluid, start the engine and warm up the trans good to final fill and check. Leave it about a quart low until you can take it out and drive it and get it good and HOT to do the final fill check....

Lawrence is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just did my 94 STS. Took 9.5 qts. Start with 8 to be safe.

Thanks... I can't wait until this weekend when I can tear into it... oh one more question

Should I clean my filters or replace them? I'll search for the answer but if someone knows... also is Dish soap ok to clean them? as long as I throughly rinse and dry them?

Lawrence is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Roswell256
    Thanks... I can't wait until this weekend when I can tear into it... oh one more question

Should I clean my filters or replace them? I'll search for the answer but if someone knows... also is Dish soap ok to clean them? as long as I throughly rinse and dry them?
    You can just clean them, they are actually just screens not "filters". The pan gasket is also reusable, so all you need is new fluid.

Don't know about soap & water? I used brake fluid cleaner and it dries instant. Don't let them soak in cleaner, just spray them off and dry them right away.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.