Leaking Head Gaskets & Extended Warranty
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Leaking Head Gaskets & Extended Warranty in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am wondering about the interpretation of extended warranties, regarding leaking head gaskets, and what members have heard or found ...
    99_WHITE_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS

Leaking Head Gaskets & Extended Warranty

I am wondering about the interpretation of extended warranties, regarding leaking head gaskets, and what members have heard or found out for themselves, about their coverage.
    I was having problems flirting with overheating, and performed a cylinder pressure test, and it revealed that #1 and 3 on the rear bank, and #4 on the front bank are leaking combustion into the cooling system. My wife had purchased an extended warranty, in which there are 1000 miles or 3 months remaining of a 1000,000/5year warranty. I know there are many products out there for warranties, but I would bet they are all pretty typical as far as coverage.
    Yesterday I was close to ordering Thermagasket, to put a band-aid on it in effort to buy me some time, because of a disabling back condition has left me a financial disaster. I had discounted attempting to pursue the extended warranty, because in the "lingo" it states that the heads and block are only covered, if an internal oil failure problem, has led to their demise. Further it states that excluded, are all items damaged due to overheating. Although my car has never gotten to the "limp mode" , I felt they would argue that would be the only reason for head gasket failure, and it would be a long drawn out arguement that I really did not want to get into. After reading one of the previous threads ("update on 99' DeVille) their warranty covered because it was determined the head gaskets failed, because of the bolts. My particular one reads, that the head and intake gaskets are covered , only if the damage is not from external deterioration and wear, and that the cause is an internal leak. Since overheating should be a mute point because of the "limp mode", I can see a little light shining on the subject. I guess I am looking for input regarding warranty experiences, and other discussion on the subject of leaking head gaskets. to hopefully

Thanks, Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

johnrgregory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

Re: Leaking Head Gaskets & Extended Warranty

My th read was the Update on the 99 Deville. The failure was 3 head bolts that pulled out from the engine block causing the head gasket to fail. The warranty company is fixing now, as I write this. This is the second time, the rear head failed in March 2006 and now the front one. The warranty company never questioned the repair request either time. I bought the extended warranty from the dealer when I purchased the car, so I let them deal with the warranty administrator.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Aftermarket warranty companies don't make money fixing cars. They are pretty good a writing in loopholes. Some are better than others. Sounds like yours has a pretty good one, but you will only know when you file the claim.

99_WHITE_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Aftermarket warranty companies don't make money fixing cars. They are pretty good a writing in loopholes. Some are better than others. Sounds like yours has a pretty good one, but you will only know when you file the claim.
    Hi Ranger,
    I highly value your opinion, but wasn't sure what you meant. Mine has a pretty good loophole or a pretty good policy

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

From what you said,
    in the "lingo" it states that the heads and block are only covered, if an internal oil failure problem, has led to their demise. Further it states that excluded, are all items damaged due to overheating.
    I'm thinking loophole.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

If you are expecting them to refuse to cover it, then you have nothing to lose. You cold also go to the srv mgr at the dealership where your dad maintained the car. Have him read the policy; he might have some advice for you.

Take some coffee and a box of donuts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.