Changing spark plugs on a Northstar - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Changing spark plugs on a Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey I also have a 99 seville with the same problem....gonna start swapping plugs tomorrow fingers crossed thats whats wrong ...
    fixitagain1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac seville sts 1999

Re: Changing spark plugs on a Northstar

Hey I also have a 99 seville with the same problem....gonna start swapping plugs tomorrow fingers crossed thats whats wrong ...quick question for you about resetting / getting engine error codes off the car....how????

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

See the "sticky" in the Tech Tips section.

nigelb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS RHD 194,150 miles. what's a speed limiter???

the FSM says that the motor can go for 100k miles before the plugs need changing, thats by using the recommended OE plugs.
    the fact that GM would say their plugs can last 100k miles is good enough reason for using them.
    would bosch stand behind such a claim?

jimfulco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '96 Eldorado

My AC platinums died with only 70K or so (they came in a used engine). I put some basic everyday Champions in and they work fine.

Using a magnetic spark plug socket makes the whole job a whole lot easier. I paid excess bucks for one off a famous-brand tool truck, but you can get one for <$10 from one of the mail-order joints if you don't mind the wait.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I paid $5 for my spark plug socket, and it works great for the N*. I got it from www.harborfreight.com. It is an extended socket that is about 5 or 6 inches long. To retrieve it from the spark plug hole, just use a pair of needle nose pliers. The socket and the holes are the same depth.

Don

jh225 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
    I paid $5 for my spark plug socket, and it works great for the N*. I got it from www.harborfreight.com. It is an extended socket that is about 5 or 6 inches long. To retrieve it from the spark plug hole, just use a pair of needle nose pliers. The socket and the holes are the same depth.

Don
    Don't use a needle nose pliers or any other pliers, why risk cracking the plug or scuffing the head?

Changing plugs on a N* is simple.

Just loosen all the plugs with a plug socket, and leave the plugs in the holes. Then take a 12" piece of 3/8 fuel line, stick it into the plug hole, over the plug, push it on a little bit and pull the plug out.

Installation is reverse of above.

This is actually the way I change all plugs in any car. No chance to screw anything up, and you can easily get the threads started without crossthreading.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

Quote Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
    Don't use a needle nose pliers or any other pliers, why risk cracking the plug or scuffing the head?

Changing plugs on a N* is simple.

Just loosen all the plugs with a plug socket, and leave the plugs in the holes. Then take a 12" piece of 3/8 fuel line, stick it into the plug hole, over the plug, push it on a little bit and pull the plug out.

Installation is reverse of above.

This is actually the way I change all plugs in any car. No chance to screw anything up, and you can easily get the threads started without crossthreading.
    No chance of breaking the plug or scuffing the head. The socket is even with the top of the head, and you only need a little pull to get the spark plug out of the rubber insert in the socket. It is faster than using a rubber hose. But thanks for the input.

Don

Rafterd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 STS, 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins

Well I have always been the guy that dances with the girl who brought me.
    While working on the STS I will use AC Delco. If working on my Ford Diesel Piuck up, I use Motocraft. My wifes Dodge Diesel Pick up gets Mopar. That is the parts they come with and seem to last the longest.
    My 2 cents
    Bill

willseville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville STS 1995

Question Re: Changing spark plugs on a Northstar

I read some posts here, and I agree completely about original parts for replacements.

So I just bought original plugs AC 41-902 here in France for my 1992 Seville 4.9L, And I don't know what is the gap...

Is it possible for somebody to give it me ? I searched in the books , and I have no shop manual, I will order one !

Thank you !

muzizman02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 concourse,81 2dr fleetwood

ya don't use bosch the ac or champs plugs cost too for this car and work very well.leave the bosch plugs for the bmw's and such

Muzizman02,

I agree, my Cadillac I purchased last 16th october, is going to run only with original parts !

Is somebody here able to give me the gap for my new plugs I have to change tomorrow.
    It is written on the box, like you know " set the gap with vehicle specification"

It is the first time for me, and I don't want to brake something...

Thanks !

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

willseville,............the spark plug gap is .050".

Perhaps someone with a 4.9 can give you more details........look in the other engine forums, as 4.9 is next one down from N*.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by willseville View Post
    I read some posts here, and I agree completely about original parts for replacements.

So I just bought original plugs AC 41-902 here in France for my 1992 Seville 4.9L, And I don't know what is the gap...

Is it possible for somebody to give it me ? I searched in the books , and I have no shop manual, I will order one !

Thank you !
    Plug gap is .060
    Northstar is .050

You are great !

Thank you so much to you, Submariner409, and Ranger !
    Tomorrow afternoon I am going to change it, and just after, when hot, oil and oil filter, I bought a "PF 58 " AC oil filter.

A bient˘t !
    Will.

PS : sorry for my mistake : "I don't want to "break" something", sometimes I write like I hear.

One more time great thanks to you !

I have changed my plugs this afternoon, my Cadillac runs very well, idle is very good now, there was waves before, even on the road, at 80 km/h for example.

You are going to understand because the car did not run well before, I never have seen that in my life :
    The last plugs AC had ... 1.55 instead of 0.60 !!! mounted from the box to the engine.

I wait for my air filter, and gas filter, and I will look the ignition cap, wires are good.
    And the evening, it is 6.20 PM here, my car gives its power, with a very nice V8 "music", smooth and very comfortable to drive.
    I am very glad.

It was very funny to place the plugs under the windscreen engine side, I was on a carpet, on my engine

It is easy to do, with good tools, I am a quiet guy, one hour to do that job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.