Coolant Temp - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant Temp in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; And THAT is NORMAL RANGE 96 Deville man. 220 and I get worried like a mother with her daughter at ...
    STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Re: Coolant Temp

And THAT is NORMAL RANGE 96 Deville man.

220 and I get worried like a mother with her daughter at prom night.

I know I shouldnt but Im in a support group for it.

94eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight
    There is a tiny drain on the bottom of the radiator, almost like a key. It is located at the bottom facing the engine, on the driver side.

It may be more difficult than to just undo the lower radiator hose and let it all come out.

No block drain on the N*.

I believe the system holds 12-14 qts (check your owners manual).

Flush is neither required nor recommended. Just drain, put in the Barsleak product in the hose (NEVER in the tank), and refill through the normal path.

Ir you have a 94 get a brand antifreeze, and gallons of distilled water (cheap at store). Pre mix it in the gallon containers and pour it in.

I think to burp it you run it to 2500 RPM with the reservoir open a few times. Then when it reaches op temp you turn it off. It is a self purging system. Keep the premix in the gallon container, and check level cold for a few days.

You won't get any benefit out of running water wetter. I thought I did for a while.. maybe 1 or 2 degrees... not really significant. The only way to get lower temp results with water wetter is to use plain water which will kill the headgaskets fast.
    Thank you mtflight.

Why is flushing not needed or recommended and why are the pellets needed. Also why will the headgaskets fail if maintainance is not done on a yearly basis? I've never heard of such a finicky and picky motor

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by 94eldorado
    Thank you mtflight.

Why is flushing not needed or recommended and why are the pellets needed. Also why will the headgaskets fail if maintainance is not done on a yearly basis? I've never heard of such a finicky and picky motor
    Harsh flush chemicals introduced into cooling system, cannot be rinsed out without a lot of water. The water that you use would likely be from a hose (to rinse of the flush chemicals), hard to get all that out so in the end you end up contaminating it with minerals which will buildup on the inside.

The green coolant has anti-corrosive additives that wear out. I believe 2 years, not every year. The headgasket has metal that rusts, if the anticorrosive additives deplete.

Rust a headgasket, and you spring a leak!

Any engine is prone to corrosion if the coolant is left in there beyond its useful span. Difference is in order to replace a headgasket on the Caddy, you need to drop the cradle and timesert the headbolts. So... its good preventive maintenance to avoid that costly expense.

94eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight
    Harsh flush chemicals introduced into cooling system, cannot be rinsed out without a lot of water. The water that you use would likely be from a hose (to rinse of the flush chemicals), hard to get all that out so in the end you end up contaminating it with minerals which will buildup on the inside.

The green coolant has anti-corrosive additives that wear out. I believe 2 years, not every year. The headgasket has metal that rusts, if the anticorrosive additives deplete.

Rust a headgasket, and you spring a leak!

Any engine is prone to corrosion if the coolant is left in there beyond its useful span. Difference is in order to replace a headgasket on the Caddy, you need to drop the cradle and timesert the headbolts. So... its good preventive maintenance to avoid that costly expense.
    Well I did it but have some concerns. Emptied fluid through lower hose filled with distilled water then emptied again until I got clear water. Allot of distilled water. Mixed 50/50 plus 5 pellets (missed one) in separate containers. Only used one and ¾ gallons though. I'm afraid I have less than 50/50 mixture. What should I do? Should I put soom rust inhibiters?

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by 94eldorado
    Well I did it but have some concerns. Emptied fluid through lower hose filled with distilled water then emptied again until I got clear water. Allot of distilled water. Mixed 50/50 plus 5 pellets (missed one) in separate containers. Only used one and ¾ gallons though. I'm afraid I have less than 50/50 mixture. What should I do? Should I put soom rust inhibiters?
    To avoid having the ratio off, it's best to pre-mix (no rinse is necessary). Next time all you should have to do is drain and refill.

I think you are better off than with old coolant anyway. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by STS 310
    And THAT is NORMAL RANGE 96 Deville man.

220 and I get worried like a mother with her daughter at prom night.

I know I shouldnt but Im in a support group for it.
    yep runs perfect no worries. i just didnt like seeing 230. lol its fixed now.

deantreat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 deville concourse, 97 Seville SLS

Re: Coolant Temp, from a grateful owner

What a FANTASTIC source of valuable information. My 95 Deville Concours chewed up the coolant pump belt, overheated in no time, and was missing so badly I was sure I'd ruined the engine...but behold limp home mode! Worked exactly as designed. Once I finally discovered the shredded belt (way over on the opposite side as the serp belt), I went ahead and bought a pump, tensioner pulley and camshaft end pulley (both ruined by melted rubber hardened in the belt groove). The tensioner pulley itself still spun freely, so that left the pump as culprit. As per a Haynes manual, I borrowed the special pump removal socket, and for two straight evenings failed to catch that thing right enough to free up the pump from it's housing. Read both schools of thought regarding application of impact wrenches, borrowed one, and removed that sucker with one blip of the trigger. Everything went back together just fine. Flushed the coolant, included the sealant tabs in the refill.
    It started and ran fine, and with each check it appears my head gaskets are fine. But why no temp gauge on my Concours? It didn't take long to come across the procedure for fooling my Concours into acting like and Eldo, thus giving me a temp reading any time I want it. And I have that sucker displayed at all times.
    Must say though, my system appears to be running about right, with highway criuising in the 65 to 75 mph range, up and down grades at temps up to 90F, my readout varies from 190 to 207, with 196 being the most common reading. In town it's higher on average, about 200 being the happy medium and peaking at 219. I imagine this summer I'll see corresponding higher highs, but I'm much more confident that all is good with my ride, thanks to all the knowledge shared on these forums.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

deantreat, Good find of an old thread.

There's more on cooling systems and operation - a lot more - in here, Seville, and in Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips and Northstar Performance.

Your thermostat is set to begin at 188 and fully open at 206. Your running temps are perfect. Once in a long while, with no A/C function set in heavy traffic (no fans in SLOW) you'll see the temp go to ~224, fans will come on, the temp will go down to 213, fans go off, cycle repeats.

Fans go to FAST at 236 or at a transmission fluid temp of 304 - yep, 304.

Click on my username, open my profile; two albums, 6 pages of diagrams and pictures, many applicable to your engine - especially the plug/coil wiring diagrams and water pump drive system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.