Coolant Temp - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant Temp in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger To tell you the truth, I am not sure how to check the relays. Hopefully someone ...
    94eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Coolant Temp

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    To tell you the truth, I am not sure how to check the relays. Hopefully someone will chimne in on it. Even at 45 degrees, the A/C should come on when commanded for dehumidification. In defrost mode, it will come on at any temp.

The "pellets" or "sealant tabs" aka cooling system suppliment are ground ginger root. Get them at any GM dealer or look for Barsleaks product "HDC" (tabs) or "G12BP" (powdered). They go in the radiator hose (high flow area), not the surge tank (low flow).
    You were right I put on defrost mode and the fans started. They seemed slow though. You can feel the flow but I'm use to allot more flow. Do the fans vary in speed depending on need? They seem so quiet is this normal?

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by 94eldorado
    You were right I put on defrost mode and the fans started. They seemed slow though. You can feel the flow but I'm use to allot more flow. Do the fans vary in speed depending on need? They seem so quiet is this normal?
    Yes IIRC they do vary in speed. They're electic and they're designed to be quiet.

Another question please.

What's the proper step-by-step procedure in coolant flush? What's a good radiator flush and anti-freeze and how many do I need to get 50/50 coolant. Besides the pellets do I put any other additives? How about water wetter type products? After flush do I need to bleed the system as is needed in some newer cars?
    Anything I have to look out for or take certain precautions?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight
    Yes IIRC they do vary in speed. They're electic and they're designed to be quiet.
    Thank you
    Yes I know they are electric but I've heard electric fans before and have been allot louder than the Cad's. If so these are the quietest fans I've ever heard or lack of. I had to actually see if they were running at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 94eldorado
    Another question please.

What's the proper step-by-step procedure in coolant flush? What's a good radiator flush and anti-freeze and how many do I need to get 50/50 coolant. Besides the pellets do I put any other additives? How about water wetter type products? After flush do I need to bleed the system as is needed in some newer cars?
    Anything I have to look out for or take certain precautions?

Thanks in advance
    There is a tiny drain on the bottom of the radiator, almost like a key. It is located at the bottom facing the engine, on the driver side.

It may be more difficult than to just undo the lower radiator hose and let it all come out.

No block drain on the N*.

I believe the system holds 12-14 qts (check your owners manual).

Flush is neither required nor recommended. Just drain, put in the Barsleak product in the hose (NEVER in the tank), and refill through the normal path.

Ir you have a 94 get a brand antifreeze, and gallons of distilled water (cheap at store). Pre mix it in the gallon containers and pour it in.

I think to burp it you run it to 2500 RPM with the reservoir open a few times. Then when it reaches op temp you turn it off. It is a self purging system. Keep the premix in the gallon container, and check level cold for a few days.

You won't get any benefit out of running water wetter. I thought I did for a while.. maybe 1 or 2 degrees... not really significant. The only way to get lower temp results with water wetter is to use plain water which will kill the headgaskets fast.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Call it a coincidence but after I used some water wetter my 94 Eldo starting running a little cooler.. didn't see 230 after that.

Quote Originally Posted by blunted
    Call it a coincidence but after I used some water wetter my 94 Eldo starting running a little cooler.. didn't see 230 after that.
    If you started using the AC more frequently the temperatures would remain closer to 200 degrees.

On the Water Wetter packaging it states it would not be as dramatic of an improvement on an ethylene glycol based system.

I may have noticed the slight decrease (or wanted to) in temperatures. But mine were never going as high as 230. A few months later my radiator cracked, and although it is likely very unrelated I have not gotten the courage to pour it in again.

chevelle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

In moderate weather the fans actually do not run very often. Just at longer idles and when the AC is on in warmer weather. The fans have different speeds so you are not going to just hear them unless they are on high...and high is usually reserved for the hottest conditions.

Let the car sit and idle for 10 minutes or so when it is hot and open the hood and watch the fans and see.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    The "pellets" or "sealant tabs" aka cooling system suppliment are ground ginger root. Get them at any GM dealer or look for Barsleaks product "HDC" (tabs) or "G12BP" (powdered). They go in the radiator hose (high flow area), not the surge tank (low flow).
    Lower radiator hose, you dont want those things getting in the t-stat right off the bat!

Also dont crush them, put them in whole as they will disolve.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by STS 310
    Lower radiator hose, you dont want those things getting in the t-stat right off the bat!

Also dont crush them, put them in whole as they will disolve.
    When I did my '97 and again when I did my daughters '99 I stuck them in the upper and never had a problem. Gonna do mine in a month or so. Will have to see which is easier to get at.

P.S.
    Love your avatar

Ranger

Do you remember my post about adding the crushed tabs to the upper hose?

What a nightmare, fouled the T stat, clogged the rad and overheated the day after I had a Welsh plug replaced.

I still dont have the supplement, kind of scared now....

Yea, the avatar.

Shes something else!

Upper hose is easier with out a doubt, thats why my lazy ass used it.

Not anymore!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I vaguely remember it and am surprised it would clog anything. I would think the water pump would push anything through there. Maybe I'll have to stuff mine in the bottom hose.

Yea, the water pump circulates like a work horse, but it didnt that day!!!!!

96-deville-man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i saw temps of about 230 pretty often before i replaced my bad water pump, and beat up/leaking raditor. now it runs at 197 most of the time saw 220 once. 50/50 mix with water wetter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.