Coolant Temp - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant Temp in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; next time it hits 240 or so u need to grab the top radiator hose and then the bottom if ...
    86caddtwithflows is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Coolant Temp

next time it hits 240 or so u need to grab the top radiator hose and then the bottom if the bottom is cooler than the top your thermostat is prolly getting stuck...dont wait till one of those hoses blows though

Don97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you I'm looking into the remote thur e-bay and looks like I have a strong chance of saving about $120.00 Thanks again

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence
    "options"?

You can go to the dealer, or try ebay. There usually a lot of them there.

94eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano
    ........... The cooling fans are only activated at 225 degrees or above so anything below that is considered ice cold by the engineers that designed the system...........
    I know this is really coming in late in the discussion but what the heck I need some advice and don't know where to get it but here.

Hello I'm new here and I have a question concerning electric cooling fans. Every car with electric fans I've owned had the fans come on when the A/C came on. Is this true with my car as well or is it as you said and do not come on until 225 degrees? Is there a test I can perform to see if my fans are even working?

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 94eldorado
    I know this is really coming in late in the discussion but what the heck I need some advice and don't know where to get it but here.

Hello I'm new here and I have a question concerning electric cooling fans. Every car with electric fans I've owned had the fans come on when the A/C came on. Is this true with my car as well or is it as you said and do not come on until 225 degrees? Is there a test I can perform to see if my fans are even working?
    Both. They come anytime the A/C is on OR when the temp reaches 224 without the A/C on. Test by turning the A/C on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Both. They come anytime the A/C is on OR when the temp reaches 224 without the A/C on. Test by turning the A/C on.
    I suspect Mine aren't working unless they are very quiet. If they do not work what next?

thank you for your response.

Check the 3 relays between the fans.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

You start diagnosing why they are not coming on.

Can you troubleshoot electrical problems? Do you have a VOM? Do you have a service manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Check the 3 relays between the fans.
    Forgive me for my lack of knowledge but how do I check the relays? How do I engage the A/C in an automatic system. I put the temp at it's lowest at 60 degrees but the outside temp is 55 degrees so it does not come on for me to see if fans are coming on.

By the way what are those pellets for after you flush the coolant system? What are they made of? Do you just disconnect the upper rad hose and toss them in?

To tell you the truth, I am not sure how to check the relays. Hopefully someone will chimne in on it. Even at 45 degrees, the A/C should come on when commanded for dehumidification. In defrost mode, it will come on at any temp.

The "pellets" or "sealant tabs" aka cooling system suppliment are ground ginger root. Get them at any GM dealer or look for Barsleaks product "HDC" (tabs) or "G12BP" (powdered). They go in the radiator hose (high flow area), not the surge tank (low flow).

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge but how do I check the relays? How do I engage the A/C in an automatic system. I put the temp at it's lowest at 60 degrees but the outside temp is 55 degrees so it does not come on for me to see if fans are coming on.
    I noticed this too. When it's warm outside, and car is at operating temperature and you command the AC on, the fan will come on.

If it's cold and car not at operating temp--it won't turn on.

In the mess or replacing my AC clutch diode, I blew a fuse in the circuit. That same fuse controlled my AC clutch as well as the fan relays. So I got a check engine light. I looked up the codes and sure enough there was a code telling me the fan relays were inoperable.

I did not know that it was the same circuit... so I thought something was wrong with my fan relays and spent a few hours trying to figure that one out (I did not want to drive without fans!).

I figured it out in the AM, when I changed the fuse and they started working again. This I verified in the service manual too--fuse is in the same.

If your A/C works (by this I mean it produces cold air), then the fuse is okay. What are you temperatures looking like? If they are normal, try running without AC and see if the temperature climbs at idle in traffic. It should go up to 220, then the secondary fan kicks in.

Did u pull any codes? Sometimes you get lucky and the car will tell you what is wrong. Other times no clue (AC clutch diode--no codes).

By the way what are those pellets for after you flush the coolant system? What are they made of? Do you just disconnect the upper rad hose and toss them in?

mjd
    mjd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 sts

hello
    I had this same problem when I test drove a mustang for my kid, I tramped on the throttle and the temp increased, when I let it off It returned to normal. We brought the car in the shop putting it up on the hoist and all it was, was a loose clamp that was replaced. We only added coolant to the viehicle, it was fine after that, as we purchased the viehcle and had no problems since.

walterroc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado

I have a 98 Eldorado. How do I access the coolant temp through the DIC. Is it an intial set up issue.

True story. Back in 1958 during a mission, the first nuclear submarine ,USS Nautilus, suffered a small leak in its condenser system. This jeopardized the mission and could have damaged costly equipment so they sent the crew dressed in civilian clothes to purchase as much Stop-Leak as possible and dumped it in the system.

The problem was solved, and did not reocurr.
    http://www.historylink.org/essays/ou...m?file_id=3739

Due to casting porosities in aluminum, this same stop-leak supplement is a factory additive. Note that as Ranger mentioned, it is made out of ground ginger root and walnut shells. Don't get the ones that look like Rabbit pellets in oil or any of that other aluminim or whatever stuff. It won't work the same and could clog a passage.

You don't need to, or should, flush the cooling system as it introduces harsh chemicals and to get them out you need to use lots of tap water, thereby introducing minerals.

Simply drain and refill. Prior to refilling, you put the tabs in (4 I believe) or the tubes (2) that Ranger mentioned (both are made by the same company that saved the USS Nautilus from embarrassment and failure).

We like to use distilled water and coolant in a 50/50 concentration.

If your car came with green, stick to green. If it came with Orange, stick to Dex-Cool.

Once you put green in an system that was orange, you may as well keep using green because you get no added benefit from using orange thereafter (IIRC something regarding sylicates plating the internals?).

Quote Originally Posted by walterroc
    I have a 98 Eldorado. How do I access the coolant temp through the DIC. Is it an intial set up issue.
    look through my posts, I know I've posted how to do it in the past (as have others).

It's risky so be careful to follow the directions at your own risk.

I don't have the Factory Service Manual handy, but I found a link to a post that explains how to add the digital readout:

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/nor...p-reading.html

Be careful to not mess up the math, or you could have a ruined instrument panel cluster in your hands.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.