Cooling Fans NEED HELP.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cooling Fans NEED HELP. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I blew the head recently and have put a 98 deville motor in. it started right up, but im having ...
    WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cooling Fans NEED HELP.

I blew the head recently and have put a 98 deville motor in. it started right up, but im having a few minor prolbems. One of the ones i cant seem to figure out is the cooling fans.

I have p1660 - cooling fan control unit fault or something 2 that effect.

The fans dont kick in. Does anyone know where this thing is located? or is there an easy way to short the fans into the ON position.

Its been so long since ive visited this forum, i remember it used to be quite usefull. any help is appreciated, thanx guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Re: Cooling Fans NEED HELP.

Maybe your relays are stuck/bad? I just tapped on them & it turned one of mine on.

Also check the fan motor harness for damage from heat?

I can tell you where my relays are located.... Remove driver's side engine elec. box/ fuse cover...... forward-front lower - 3 relays are all there. ( Remove air box )

Your car may be different, but if not sure, the dealer can show you.

WoodShoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ive pretty much checked all the wiring, that I could see. My relays are located between the fans right at the bottom.
    The thing is, the fans were working before I did the motor swap. So im kind of thinking the relays are still good. but you never know. I dont really know a way of checking them. And with all the wires going god knows where Im not really sure what controls those fans.

So if anyone knows how to fix p1660 or check whats causing it, would b a big help.

Until then I have tapped power from a couple of other systems, so at least I have the fans running constantly.

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodShoe View Post
    Ive pretty much checked all the wiring, that I could see. My relays are located between the fans right at the bottom.
    The thing is, the fans were working before I did the motor swap. So im kind of thinking the relays are still good. but you never know. I dont really know a way of checking them. And with all the wires going god knows where Im not really sure what controls those fans.

So if anyone knows how to fix p1660 or check whats causing it, would b a big help.

Until then I have tapped power from a couple of other systems, so at least I have the fans running constantly.
    Maybe do a site search for your car/engine - cooling fan motors. See if there is a pic of the page from the manual. Go down to Electrics and ask / search for your code.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.