Back Pressure in Cooling System?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Back Pressure in Cooling System? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After running the engine for 5-10 min at normal throttle my car begins to spit out all the coolant through ...
    97candylacdevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Back Pressure in Cooling System?

After running the engine for 5-10 min at normal throttle my car begins to spit out all the coolant through the overflow and then over heats. What could be causing this besides a head gasket as i dont see ANY water or vapor from the exhaust or from the side of the heads (heads to block). I did notice that it had been running the green coolant and not dex cool but for how long i dont know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Re: Back Pressure in Cooling System?

Does this happen 5-10 min from cold?

Open the coolant cap and start the engine. Rev a few times and look to see if the coolant bubbles.

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

That is only partially correct. Air will rise and if it has air in the system it will bubble. The question is how to get the Air out. After the air is gone you can check it. If you don't have a way to remove the air. You can run the engine until the thermostat opens. Then let it cool. This should remove most of the air in the cooling system and the cooling will cause the leak to be greater if it has a leak. Check the level of the coolant. Make sure it is at the full mark. Remove the system fill cap. Start the engine let it run a short time (less than 3 minutes or so). Then snap the throttle several times. If the level in the surge tank rapidly raises or you see bubbles you have a combustion chamber leak into the cooling system.
    Example of a temperature leak: Exhaust manifold leaks cold, but after the engine warms up it is quiet. Head gaskets leak all the time at -20°

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by 97candylacdevil View Post
    After running the engine for 5-10 min at normal throttle my car begins to spit out all the coolant through the overflow and then over heats. What could be causing this besides a head gasket as i dont see ANY water or vapor from the exhaust or from the side of the heads (heads to block). I did notice that it had been running the green coolant and not dex cool but for how long i dont know.
    It "could be" as simple as the air purge line is blocked somehow. And if this is a '97 Deville and somebody put green coolant in there, there is no telling what else they have been messing with.

You will find the purge line originating at a hollow bolt in the coolant crossover directly above the water pump cover. On my engines, the hollow bolt also serves to clamp the engine lift bracket to the crossover assembly. There will be a section of rubber hose connected at the hollow bolt and the hose will eventually end up at your coolant recovery tank or pressurized reservoir depending on how GM did that in '97.

That purge line should flow a small stream of coolant at the far end at idle. Check that first.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.