Water pump replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Water pump replacement in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am going to be replacing my water pump soon (AC delco) and I want to replace all the gaskets ...
    I_Finally_Have_A_Cad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville

Water pump replacement

I am going to be replacing my water pump soon (AC delco) and I want to replace all the gaskets there as I know they have a tendency to fail. My question though is which ones do I need? I looked at autozones website and they look unusual to that of the ones listed on rockauto and to me it is not clear how many I need.

I am sure I will end up asked a few more questions since I am only 90 something percent sure this is where I am leaking coolant. BTW I know about the tool I need.

Oh ya, I took it to a midas to see if they could figure out where she was leaking coolant and they added some of that any color coolant. Should I be worried about it? I read that one thread from a little while back, but there didn't seem to be a consensus. My first thought is to drain and refill will dexcool, but I don't want to do that and then have to do it again when I do the water pump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: Water pump replacement

As far as gaskets go, there's the waterpump housing gasket, and the waterpump gasket that comes with the waterpump. No other gaskets will be exposed durring replacement of the waterpump.

That's what I thought, but I kept coming across two other gaskets in addition to the o-ring and housing gasket.

Another question I came up with has to do with greasing the seals. Is this necessary and what grease should I use. Also, should I bother with an AC Delco wp or is it ok to use whatever I can get at the autoparts store? If that is ok then I can try and do it tomorrow.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

If the pump cartridge from the aftermarket source is a "rebuilt" item, I would not use it. I did not use any grease or ??? to hold the pump cartridge O ring in place.

Best parts source for engine parts is GM. Have your VIN handy and use a local dealer parts dept. Or your favorite web-based OEM parts outlets. The pump cover and gasket have been redesigned and it's worth the money to buy the new cover.

Put a new thermostat and gasket in there while you have it open.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.p...&hl=water+pump

jadcock is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 2001 STS

There is an o-ring that seals the water pump cartridge to the housing. There is also the housing cover gasket, which is really just a rubber gasket that sits in a recess, so I suppose that could be considered an "o-ring" also. The other gasket will come with your new thermostat (you are replacing that also yes?), and it's rubber and is in a circular shape, so one might could call that an o-ring also.

That's it. The two seals at the pump (pump to housing and cover to housing) and the one seal at the thermostat.

It'll be the easiest water pump you've ever changed, provided you have the correct tool.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

A picture is worth a thousand words. There is a picture of the cover gasket in this thread.
    http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13625

It's funny, I get the cover off and see that it has been replaced once before. I know this because it had the new gasket design in the old cover. I thought it was weird that it would need two in the car's short life (88,000 miles), but I saw why it was leaking. The people who put the last one in didn't rotate it in all the way. It only took a partial turn to remove it and much more to put the new one in. I went ahead with replacing everything since I already put that much work into it.

If anyone wants those parts, there is nothing wrong with them and I would gladly give them away for a very modest fee.

Glengemen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by I_Finally_Have_A_Cad View Post
    It's funny, I get the cover off and see that it has been replaced once before. I know this because it had the new gasket design in the old cover. I thought it was weird that it would need two in the car's short life (88,000 miles), but I saw why it was leaking. The people who put the last one in didn't rotate it in all the way. It only took a partial turn to remove it and much more to put the new one in. I went ahead with replacing everything since I already put that much work into it.
    I just got done doing the same thing for the same reason: not rotated far enough.
    I havent found anyone using an aftermarket housing seal, but I found that FEL PRO makes one part# 35657. I had to wait 2 days to get it though. Water pump sould come with an inner seal and tstat should also come with the seal. GET THE TOOL by the way

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It should only take 1/8 to 1/4 turn I believe to remove or install the pump.

Yeah it didn't take much to put the new one in but the first one didn't take half the rotation to get it out. Also I could see how it was leaking.

Oh well, I have all new parts.

Mountie is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Finally_Have_A_Cad View Post
    Yeah it didn't take much to put the new one in but the first one didn't take half the rotation to get it out. Also I could see how it was leaking.

Oh well, I have all new parts.
    The grease is for the base of the pump not corroding & getting stuck against the housing. ( Having said that - you shouldn't have to replace it again )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.