Northstar aftermarket and tuneability questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar aftermarket and tuneability questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi everyone. I am looking in to buying a Northstar engine, and I want to know some info about its ...
    Jay2002WS6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar aftermarket and tuneability questions

Hi everyone.

I am looking in to buying a Northstar engine, and I want to know some info about its aftermarket and tuneability.

Basically, I want this engine to be pretty sick. So I need to know if there are basic bolt-ons like headers available. And, are there stroker kits available for it? Can I cam it to rev to high RPMs where my optimal shift point would be between 7200 - 7500 RPMs? If I cammed it to rev that high, what kind of driveability would be left around town? How well does the engine respond to supercharging? Nitrous?

I am somewhat afraid to ask... what are the prices for some of this stuff? Headers? Stroker Kit? Cam and head work?

And... this might be giving too much away, but I have to ask... how much modification would be necessary to mate this engine to the T-56 transmission?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Northstar aftermarket and tuneability questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2002WS6
    So I need to know if there are basic bolt-ons like headers available.
    I know there are header flanges on ebay all the time... not sure if there are any ready-bolt-on ones though.
    Can I cam it to rev to high RPMs where my optimal shift point would be between 7200 - 7500 RPMs? If I cammed it to rev that high, what kind of driveability would be left around town?
    Absolutely! Chrfab (chrfab.com) does all kinds of custom grinds, their 288cams put out 75hp over stock (at the SAME rpm as stock!)

How well does the engine respond to supercharging? Nitrous?
    No idea. I do know that chrfab has a 2000hp supercharged N* built up.

I am somewhat afraid to ask... what are the prices for some of this stuff? Cam and head work?
    I think it's roughly $700 for new cams and springs & retainers, that'll allow you to rev up to where you want.

And... this might be giving too much away, but I have to ask... how much modification would be necessary to mate this engine to the T-56 transmission?
    Is the T-56 the one they use for small blocks? If so, you're going to need an adapter plate at the least.. The N* is roughly the equivalent of a 60 degree v6. But it's got the starter in the 'lifter valley' of the block.

Dubya is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

non of this stuff has or can be used

search button

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

If you're looking for a motor to do all that kind of stuff and get power, the 350 smallblock gives a better buy. Same space size, and more potential. Bore to a 383 stroker and have over 425 horse and torque. Then toss on blowers and so forth. The Northstar doesn't have the aftermarket and hot rod support yet to be worth it as a tuner motor.

You could build a 383... or... you could spend the $700 on 280*cams, and have a 395HP @6500rpm, 353lbft @5000rpm 8500rpm-redline-ferarri-sounding-dohc-v8-screamer... that's why I chose the northstar for my fiero swap rather than a SBC. I like to think outside the box

Randy_W is offline Banned

Where do you guys that change cams, etc... get your pcm tuning??

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_W
    Where do you guys that change cams, etc... get your pcm tuning??
    There is a guy floating around in cyberspace that supposedly hacked the code on the 93-94 pcm's, but I can't find him... I'm going with the holley commander 950 just for ease of tuning.

Jay2002WS6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado1
    You could build a 383... or... you could spend the $700 on 280*cams, and have a 395HP @6500rpm, 353lbft @5000rpm 8500rpm-redline-ferarri-sounding-dohc-v8-screamer... that's why I chose the northstar for my fiero swap rather than a SBC. I like to think outside the box
    See, we think alike

I don't quite want 8500 RPM -- more like 7500. I am considering this as a swap into my WS6, and yes, the T-56 is what mates to the LS1.

The reason I am thinking about it is because the LS1 can't do the kind of top-end I want to do without making the car unbearable for street driving. The intake manifold can't supply the cylinders with enough air to build power above 6200 RPM unless the cam I go with has an LSA of 106-108... which would be VERY lopey, and completely ridiculous for the street, as well as consume insane amounts of fuel.

The LS1 is no doubt a better drag motor for reasons already stated, but I want to step up to the challenge of setting the f-body record for a 1/4 mile pass on street tires, in a street legal car... which means I am going to want that power up top, so I don't send my tires up in smoke at the line.

Still with me? lol... lastly I want this to be a prolific highway killer. Right now, the 2JZ TT Supras have a bit of a corner on that market, and I want to be able to take them down.

I know I want my shift points around 7500 because with that, I can go to a 3.73 rear, and pull 4th gear up to 145 mph or so... pulling harder, longer is what I want to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2002WS6
    See, we think alike
    I don't quite want 8500 RPM -- more like 7500. I am considering this as a swap into my WS6, and yes, the T-56 is what mates to the LS1.
    Well Alan from chrfab says with just his higher pressure springs, the engine is safe to rev to 8500rpm should you so choose I'm not even sure he has cams that make power up that high... his 280* ones are 'middle of the road', and peak at 6500rpm... but he's got a 310* grind that (I'm guessing here) would put out 400+hp at 7500ish, which I think is what you want... Keep in mind that thing is gonna have a heck-of-a lope. It probably won't be very streetable (you should probably talk to Alan on that)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.