Cheapest way to do HG's?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cheapest way to do HG's????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am looking for the most fiscally viable solution to timeserting my heads, i would like to use Norms inserts ...
    97candylacdevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cheapest way to do HG's?????

I am looking for the most fiscally viable solution to timeserting my heads, i would like to use Norms inserts but dont see any sense in paying $600 for a kit containing < $100 worth of parts. If i were to buy all the inserts, taps, drill bits, lube, loctite seperately would i really need any other pieces that are in the kit besides the guideplate (do i really need that even?) Are norms inserts available at a part store or will i need to order them from a specialty company?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Cheapest way to do HG's?????

$600? The kit is the same price as the timesert kit.... $350 or thereabouts.

Sorry i must have been misinformed, but it still seems like quite a markup on less than a hundred dollars worth of tools and parts. Any ideas on how to piece a kit together and save a poor college kid money? Even if i have to settle for full price, would a parts store like advanced AP be able to get one for me; bc they act like im speaking spanish when i ask for Norms insert kit?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Raze is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldo -SOLD-, 98 ETC -SOLD-, 86 XR4Ti Track Car, 07 Ranger

Um, sure you could get all the parts yourself though those inserts are going to be hard to find, I looked on McMaster-Carr and MSC and the closest I could find were on MacCarrs site, M10 or M12x1.5 internal but they're only 20mm long max (0.8in), but they might be able to point to you to someone or custom order them for you...

I'm not knocking the idea but for the $100 or so you'll save assembling the kit yourself is it really worth the hassle of trying to locate the parts, if you have alot of free time go for it! A couple additional things to consider do you know how far to drill/tap?, if you're not going to use the guild plate how are you going to ensure your drill goes in perpendicular to the head surface, to me having it all laid out so I don't have to think too much and decrease the chances of screwing up on an engine that will cost ~$1000 for a JY pull, $3k for a rebuilt, and $5k for a crate is worth the $100 and hell I'd feel better giving money to Norm than a big corp like Time Sert...

Point.

Thanks for the help guys, wish me luck.

lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

I agree with Raze, don't skimp on this, if you will be doing the work yourself and assuming you know what you're doing, $300, $400 or even $500 is nothing compared to having a mechanic do it or buying a rebuild or even a new crate motor. I bought my timeserts for $220 off of a member of this forum and later resold it, even made a small profit. Just spend the money and get the right kit, many people diss Timesert for being overpriced, and yes I would agree but in the end it still was the most cost effective solution. My car drives like a dream now, and the feeling of taking your car apart and putting it back again is nice.

P.S> word of advice, label everything and take pictures if necessary.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.