A/C Recharging Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, A/C Recharging Help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I searched the forums and was able to fix my coolant leak/overheating problem. I was expecting a hairline crack in ...
    whoaskew is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville, 1994 STS

A/C Recharging Help

I searched the forums and was able to fix my coolant leak/overheating problem. I was expecting a hairline crack in the spout at the top of the surge tank, but what I found was that instead of a crack, the entire plastic spout broke off into the hose. I used needle nosed pliers to retrieve a copper insert and the remaining plastic from the hose.

I bought another rubber hose and was able to attach it to what remained of the spout. I drove for a while, checked, and no leaks. Thanks, everyone.

My original plan for yesterday was to charge the a/c systems on my and my girlfriends cars since on both cars, when the a/c is on, nothing but hot air blows out.

My car: 1998 Cadillac Deville
    I attached the charging hose to the low pressure port, and the gauge on it read 150 psi. I understand that it should have been under 45 psi, so I disconnected the charging hose.

Her car: 1997 Chevy Monte Carlo LS V6 3.1
    I attached the charging hose to the low pressure port, and the gauge on it read 0 psi. I was adding one can of 134, and I noticed a mist shooting everywhere. It appeared to be hitting the compressor, then hit the serpentine belt, which made it fly all over the place. I turned off the car and the mist was still spraying, gradually slowed down, and eventually stopped.

I searched the forums and couldn't find a suggestions, so does anyone have any suggestions that I should try?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: A/C Recharging Help

Where was the mist coming from on the Monte Carlo?

Was the compressor running on the Deville when you saw 150 psi?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Where was the mist coming from on the Monte Carlo?
    The mist on the Monte Carlo appeared to be coming from the compressor and spraying onto the serpentine belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Was the compressor running on the Deville when you saw 150 psi?
    I don't know. How can you tell if the compressor is running?

Harry Yarnell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V

The Monte Carlo issue is probably a ruptured line, fitting, or connection.

As to the Eldo, check to see if the CENTER of the compressor pulley is turning. These late GM cars have a safety feature that locks out compressor engagement when the freon gets low. Reset codes or pull the battery cable off for 10 seconds to reset.

Yeah, the Monte Carlo needs some major work. That is why the pressure was a zero. There is obviously a BIG leak in the system. Maybe a compressor seal.

The reason I asked about the compressor on the Eldo is that 150 psi low side pressure is very high. I suspect you where looking at static pressure.

grandcatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera and grand national

i second the front seal on the compressor for the monte.

as for the eldog the pressure you are reading is probably with the system "equalized" both low/hi sides are reading the same PSI due to the compressor not engaging. as said above the belt will be turning the pulley only, then when the AC is turned on the compressor will engage, or should. with the AC turned on check to see if 12v are at the compressor clutch coil...

Thanks, I will check the compressor on the deville in the morning.

Also, I have changed alternators and starters before, but would replacing the compressor on the monte carlo be too hard of a job for a beginner?

Really depends on your experience, tools & where it is located (difficulty level). You'll need to get the system vacuumed down before recharging it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.