Transmission Fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Transmission Fluid in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a true group IV ATF, besides amsoil??? Thanks, Ed...
    Ekindler0584 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 SLS (Diamond White)

Transmission Fluid

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a true group IV ATF, besides amsoil???

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Re: Transmission Fluid

http://www.kendallmotoroil.com/NR/rd...ron_VI_ATF.pdf

just a little info
    DEXRON®-VI ATF
    General Motors Powertrain has recently upgraded to DEXRON®-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.

Current and prior models that had used DEXRON®-III must now only use DEXRON®-VI.

All 2006 and future models that use DEXRON®-VI are to be serviced with DEXRON®-VI fluid only.

DEXRON®-VI is an improvement over DEXRON®-III in the following areas:

DEXRON®-VI

Extended Factory Fill For Life---160,000 km (100,000 mi) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*---80,000 km (50,000 mi) (Severe Use) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*

Clutch Friction Stability----Improved 100%

Clutch Durability Due To Fluid----Improved 120%

Oil Film Thickness----Increased 20%

Fluid Oxidation----Improved 100%

Foam/Aeration----Improved 150%

Shear Stability----Improved 200%

* These ATF change intervals remain the same as DEXRON®-III for the time being.

clarkz71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Mercedes 400E / 1995 Eldorado/ 2006 Yamaha R1 LE

I have the new Dexron VI in my Eldo. Shifting was much improved over the original fluid (55K at the time) .

msta293412 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac sts

Hey clakz71, when you say shifting was improved, do you mean smoother or more aggresively? Also could we you use the B&M transmission fluid for firmer shifts in our trannies?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I had a B&M Hydrostick transmission in a '58 Chevy back in the early '60s. It worked great and B&M has been building good stuff ever since.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by msta293412 View Post
    Hey clarkz71, when you say shifting was improved, do you mean smoother or more aggresively? Also could we you use the B&M transmission fluid for firmer shifts in our trannies?
    I mean smoother. I have a bad input speed sensor (code P056/OBD I) and the shifting is more firm then stock with that problem. The Dexron VI made it shift noticeably smoother.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

what you are actually feeling is the fact that the older fluid has been allowing the cluch packs to shudder but at high frequency so the new stuff has a friction modifier to help with that and its a synthetic too.
    As for Amsoil I wouldnt put that garbage in my worst enemies lawn mover as i pushed him and it over a cliff.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WOW, where were you when Steve was touting it? Now THAT would have gotten interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
    what you are actually feeling is the fact that the older fluid has been allowing the cluch packs to shudder but at high frequency so the new stuff has a friction modifier to help with that and its a synthetic too.
    I don't know if my clutch packs were doing anything, but if you know cadillacs
    you know that a bad transaxle input speed sensor will cause even a new transaxle with new fluid to shift firm,
    as the failure increases line pressure by default. That's what I'm feeling.
    As a side note, the original fluid only had 55000 miles and looked as red/pink as new fluid.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

LOL!!!

MonzaRacer, don't sugar-coat it, how do you REALLY feel about Amsoil????

AJxtcman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Northstar Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by msta293412 View Post
    Hey clakz71, when you say shifting was improved, do you mean smoother or more aggresively? Also could we you use the B&M transmission fluid for firmer shifts in our trannies?
    What is B&M's blue trans fluid?
    When was it developed?
    How many times has it been updated?
    Who makes it?
    Mopar had to change the fluid in the early 90's because of clutch chatter. They updated it many times before they got a fluid that works. It started out as 7176D. Then it was 7176E. Then it was ATF+3 and know it is ATF+4.
    Mopars also use in just a couple of cars Mitsubishi Transmissions. Mopar say that the latest version of ATF+4 can be used, But Mits trans fluid has a strong odor of friction modifier. I have always used the Mits fluid in the Mits trans.
    GM had a fluid that worked OK. While many other car companies had trany problems in FWD cars GM was doing pretty well. Petro-Canada with GM developed Dexron VI. This fluid smells like it has a lot of friction modifier in it. This is a far superior fluid over the last. GM really never needed to fix the fluid like some other companies did.
    You have been running an out dated fluid in you car. You had no per say fluid problems. Now you have a high dollar fluid in your car and it will work so much better.
    Look at the specs I listed before.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...ll_Release.doc
    http://www.petro-canada.ca/pdfs/IM_8017_E_v14.pdf

I believe he compared it to sand.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekindler0584 View Post
    Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a true group IV ATF, besides amsoil???

Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed,
    I would have said Mobil 1, but now I'm not so sure as it appears they are now using a significant portion of Group III basestock in their mainline Mobil 1 motor oil. Redline uses a Group V basestock and I've never been able to confirm what Royal Purple uses. I suspect that they use a Group III/IV blend, but they are very tight lipped about their basestocks.

FYI, the AMSOIL ATF is now labeled by AMSOIL to be suitable for both Dexron III and VI requirements. This is the fluid I just put in my 06 CTS-V, and have been running my 02 Z06 on the track for years (without any tranny failures).

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

This is a very dumb question, but... I thought III = 3 and IV = 4, V = 5, and VI = 6 (am I correct on this?), soooo, where are DEXRON-IV and DEXRON-V? GM didn't like them or what?

Quote Originally Posted by AJxtcman View Post
    DEXRONŽ-VI ATF
    General Motors Powertrain has recently upgraded to DEXRONŽ-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.

Current and prior models that had used DEXRONŽ-III must now only use DEXRONŽ-VI.

All 2006 and future models that use DEXRONŽ-VI are to be serviced with DEXRONŽ-VI fluid only.

DEXRONŽ-VI is an improvement over DEXRONŽ-III in the following areas:

DEXRONŽ-VI

Extended Factory Fill For Life---160,000 km (100,000 mi) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*---80,000 km (50,000 mi) (Severe Use) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*

Clutch Friction Stability----Improved 100%

Clutch Durability Due To Fluid----Improved 120%

Oil Film Thickness----Increased 20%

Fluid Oxidation----Improved 100%

Foam/Aeration----Improved 150%

Shear Stability----Improved 200%

* These ATF change intervals remain the same as DEXRONŽ-III for the time being.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    This is a very dumb question, but... I thought III = 3 and IV = 4, V = 5, and VI = 6 (am I correct on this?), soooo, where are DEXRON-IV and DEXRON-V? GM didn't like them or what?
    Your recollection of Roman Numerals is correct... and I have no idea what GM did with the numbers IV and V. I've never seen any reference to Dexron IV or V (other than a few typos of people who meant the new VI but assumed GM went to IV).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.