Alternator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Alternator in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 2000 STS and I would like to know how big of an alternator my car has, the ...
    KORCA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Alternator

I have a 2000 STS and I would like to know how big of an alternator my car has, the reason being i am putting a sound system in there. If someone knows let me know. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lisekpl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Re: Alternator

140 amp

KORCA is offline Cadillac Owners Member

k thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If you're going to install one or more amps with switch-mode power supplies in order to drive a couple of ghetto woofers, you might consider installing a second battery in parallel with the original. Amps generate quick power demand changes, and the alternator/regulator alone can't keep up with the additional load. You should also install a high amperage isolation switch in the hot paralleling jumper. Use cable at least the same size as your present battery cable, and use good, stranded power feed wire, fused, at least the size recommended by the amp manufacturer. Marine stores are a source for all sorts of good wire, connectors, and switches. Remember that paralleled batteries, especially if they're different in rating, will tend to discharge each other over time if left connected with the car "off". Use the isolation switch if you leave the car for more than 3 - 4 days. (Need any vacuum tubes? I have thousands of 'em)

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

you don't need dual batteries, aren't capacitors made specifically to handle those peaks?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Capacitor banks are great for instantaneous drains, but they have to recharge also, probably from a switching power supply. The second battery supplies the amperage to maintain power supply voltage. Years ago, I ran a PAIR of Hafler DH500 amps in a home stereo system, and even though the Haflers each had 4 huge power supply capacitors I could flicker and dim the room lights because I was overloading the 110V circuit. The solution was a second, dedicated circuit.

bmckee27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think is is a 140 amp thats what my 2003 STS has. you need about 180 or 200 amp that will handle anything you want

caddy strophic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac deville

i read somewhere about limo alternators. anyone know where i can find one online? for a 2000 deville

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.