Harmonic Balancer. Dangerous?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Harmonic Balancer. Dangerous? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just mentioned this on another thread, but I wondered what the experts think of this. "The harmonic pulley on ...
    Rob Benham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 FWB

Harmonic Balancer. Dangerous?

I just mentioned this on another thread, but I wondered what the experts think of this.

"The harmonic pulley on the crank became delaminated as well. That would've been tedious on a long run, so look at the strip of rubber between the inner and outer castings and make sure that the outer [grooved] part is running true. If its wobbling, change it, $67 after market. Take care, I got a Doorman part and the hole in the middle was too big by .5mm This is really dangerous in my opinion. They have not answered my e-mail on the subject yet."

Half a mil does not sound much, but the pulley, far from needing a tool to put on, was so lose that you could rock the outer edge 1/4" or so. This meant that not only were the bolts doing the work, but that it was unlikely that the pulley would be centered.

The part was a Doorman Harmonic Balancer 594-017.

The old one took a puller to get off. The next part was a Pioneer, and even that wasn't tight, but didn't rock. There was some mention of GM changing cranks in the middle of a production run sometimes!! Can this be true. Mine is the 5.7 1995 FWB If this were true, it could mean that Doorman has the specs for a different engine/crank, but that wouldn't account for the Pioneer's different fit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Harmonic Balancer. Dangerous?

Well this is the northstar forum, but that does sound dangerous. Maybe you just got a misboxed part... I've had that happen a few times.

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Harmonic Balancer. Dangerous?

If you are working on a LT engine give ATI a call they have superdmapers that are the best in the buisness.
    They can also be sourced from Summit too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.